• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Made in Abyss: The Golden City of the Scorching Sun

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Fap and Puta aren't words that should occur in proximity
If this were in Spanish I think, but this being Japanese, the correct deconstruction is Fap and Uta. The latter meaning "song". The more you know... Wink
L0ken

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Riko frankly saying that she don't care if Vueko is bad person or not as long one can guide her to her friends is quite wonderful summary of her characterization as true white whistle. Even Bondrewd commented how quickly she understood him and how close her mindset of their kind and it's not the fist time she displays her moral ambiguity and lack of typical justice longing for the main leads.Despite being ultimately a good kid,for Riko her going on adventure down with her friends and explore the Abyss the highest priority of all, being able to sacrifice anything else including her own well-being.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm thinking 1-3 episodes till spoiler[the big reveal]. Hope the anime only viewers are ready for it. Reading the reviews from somebody who didn't read the manga version (which just dumped the whole flashback in a single chapter all at once) is really interesting. Keep up great work James!
yeehaw

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Belaf seemed like such a nice guy, why'd he have to turn into a gut-slurping worm?
Also the opening seems to give away that Riko picks spoiler[guts]
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:47 pm Reply with quote
So this guy only wants pairs? Belaf, how about just an eye & the left leg?
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:48 pm Reply with quote
yeehaw wrote:
Belaf seemed like such a nice guy, why'd he have to turn into a gut-slurping worm?
Also the opening seems to give away that Riko picks spoiler[guts]

Not to spoil... spoiler[but let's just say there's still some good left in Belaf. In fact there's still some good in all of the sages/villagers. This arc is a lot more grey than the previous one in terms of whose "in the wrong"]

Edit: added spoiler tags. Errinundra.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Omg, Riko really needs to keep Meinya in a cage or on a leash....just so people STOP squeezing the poor hamster bunny to death Anime dazed

I forgot to mention how I really like Kaja's voice. It's sorta mechanical...but sorta not? It's exactly how you imagine it to sound. So cool.

NeverConvex wrote:

Some of the other features of the town feel less in step with that theme, though. Like -- I was expecting Prushka found some truly terrible fate, but she was, apparently, enjoying the hell out of being physically reformed into a musical instrument? What's the, uh, like, moral, there? ...

Not every story has morals...especially ones like these meant for a seinen audience. I say "Just give up trying to find one in MiA".

Bondrewd is/was a terrible person and Prushka was blinded by her love for his father-like treatment of her. That is all there is to it. Maybe she was happy to be close to Riko again? Who knows.

danpmss wrote:

4- And yeah, after all that, knowing our loveable author, his reasoning, in my opinion, likely went like this: "You know what would be a nice idea? Display Rico enjoying herself eating some surprise testicles! I could have chosen a wild variety of things to enter this little girl's mouth, like that tentacle from before, but actual testicles, I can also get away with it if they are just food!".

Rolling Eyes That scene wasn't even MEANT to be erotic...can you please stop complaining about things that aren't worth complaining about?

We get it; you think the show is gross and the author is gross but this only needs to be said once for us to understand your opinion. Seeing you complain about how gross it is every. single. week. is like, very annoying to people who are over it already.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6;

Does that sword remind you of anything? Very Happy

Don't worry, we'll most likely get an explanation later why it might make sense in context. Yes, for better, or worse. With the Abyss you should know by now what to expect...

Also, highly likely next episode will be a flashback on Ganja and we'll get some much need answers.
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Some pretty good animation this episode, though I lament that a lot of the talk about the creature's biology and behavior was cut for time. And for those wondering about Juroimoh and the "sticky sword" there's actually a pretty good reason for it thematically.

Vueko is right, after next episode there's no going back, and it's pretty rough to experience tbh. Also, I'm realizing in hindsight just how much of this episode/2-part chapter was foreshadowing for later in the arc. "The other 2 sages only appear when the village is threatened," Riko and the white whistle's effects, Kaja's alternate forms, etc.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Episode 6;

Don't worry, we'll most likely get an explanation later why it might make sense in context. Yes, for better, or worse. With the Abyss you should know by now what to expect...

Also, highly likely next episode will be a flashback on Ganja and we'll get some much need answers.

Episode 6 is just Studio Ghibli x HR Giger goodness.

The anime has been following the manga for several episodes,so yes it's time for a extended flashback.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:41 am Reply with quote
That instrument-carving-guy dialogue sure was somethin'.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:29 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Episode 6;

spoiler[Yes, it is the rapist from the flashback in episode 1. ] Not surprised that you're like, giddy about this. Confused
gsilver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:34 am Reply with quote
So, uh, yeah. We're just basically in hell and horrible people who wouldn't even be able to survive layers 1-5 just somehow end up here?

I mean, Riko wasn't even able to activate the elevator to get down without the power of a white whistle, and nothing suggests that they just give those away.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:01 pm Reply with quote
gsilver wrote:
So, uh, yeah. We're just basically in hell and horrible people who wouldn't even be able to survive layers 1-5 just somehow end up here?

I mean, Riko wasn't even able to activate the elevator to get down without the power of a white whistle, and nothing suggests that they just give those away.

Assuming you're referring to Gem-Bug's spoiler above, spoiler[Juroimoh was sort-of created from Vueko's subconscious by the village itself].
TheAnonymousUsual

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Any attempt at humor or grossness about gourmet testicle-eating just flies right past me now, because I can't forget the stupid gourmet testicle-eating joke I heard back in the 70's as a kid, called "The Bullfighter's Special". Back then, bullfighting wasn't as condemned as animal cruelty as it rightfully should be, so this joke was widely told. It goes:

Quote:
(Man goes into restaurant, sees another patron eating two large steaming meatballs)
Man: That looks good! What is it?
Waiter: "The Bullfighter's Special". They are testicles, señor.
Man: I think I'll try some.
Waiter: Sorry, there's only one serving. You see, there is a bullring across the street. Every day around this time, after the kill is made, it's brought over here to be served up fresh. But it's first come, first serve.
(Next day, man comes to the restaurant early)
Man: I'd like The Bullfighter's Special, please.
Waiter: Certainly. Here you go.
(Puts steaming plate down)
Man: Wait--this isn't like yesterday! Why are these so small?
Waiter: Well you see, señor... sometimes the bull wins.

So whenever one of these hackneyed testicle-eating scenes shows up, like with Riko, I just roll my eyes and say, "Bullfighter's Special"! Are we ever gonna be rid of that joke?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 16