• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Main Character, Staff Identified

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnathanEnder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:16 am Reply with quote
Hrm. It's interesting to that Setsuna appears to be Middle-Eastern. I can't remember the last time there was an actual Middle-Eastern protagonist in anime (let alone any TV show outside of Palestine--oh snap! Anime smile; )

Ironically, Kamil Bidan of Zeta Gundam was Middle-Eastern, except this was never explicitly stated.

Although this has been stated already by the forum posters, a commentary on the current world crisis is inevitable in this new series (reminds me of how Miyazaki once said that he was prompted to make Howl's Moving Castle because the war in Iraq "made him very angry"). Which, in my opinion, is a good thing. I lost interest in Gundam around the time when "Wing Sync" came out in America, so it's nice to rekindle some of that interest.
SarcasticPirate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:01 pm Reply with quote
JohnathanEnder wrote:
Ironically, Kamil Bidan of Zeta Gundam was Middle-Eastern, except this was never explicitly stated.

What? For one, it's Kamille Bidan, and secondly, he is of French-American decent.
SarcasticPirate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:23 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Quote:
GN-001 GUNDAM EXIA (Feddie colors)
Its centrally-placed GN drive produces near-infinite energy and incredible power output. Incorporates a variety of high technology.
Pilot: Setsuna (Setsuna F Seiei), 16
Fated boy soldier born amidst the civil wars of Kyrgistan. Dislikes close contact with others, and is the "cool" type who tends to hide his feelings.

GN-002 GUNDAM DYNAMES (Green)
Mounts a GN drive like the other Gundams. Designed for ranged combat, it carries a GN sniper rifle as well as various mission-specific guns.
Pilot: Lockon (Lockon Stratos), 24
His family killed in a terrorist attack, he decided te join Solestal Being. The oldest pilot and the team leader.

GN-003 GUNDAM KYRIOS (Orange fake-Zeta)
Transforms. General-purpose type.
Pilot: Allelujah (Allelujah Baptism), 19
Spent his boyhood in the PRL. The quiet, gentle type.

GN-005 GUNDAM VIRTUE (GP-002 amirite)
Heavily-armored, and carries a GN Bazooka and GN Cannon. Can manifest a "GN Field" in addition to its armor.
Pilot: Tieria (Tieria Arde), ??
A strikingly beautiful boy whose birthplace, nationality, and history are all a mystery. In his soft words, you can feel something chilling hidden.

Tony K. wrote:
I also notice there's no mention of a GN-004 Gundam pilot. So I'm guessing we've probably got another Gundam-jack scenario. Maybe it's taken by the villain? Let's just hope it's not another guy in a Char mask (though 2 of the last three I saw weren't so bad).

I hadn't noticed that. Maybe they'll be a tad more original and it was destroyed in testing or something.

Oh wow, I never even noticed that! I'm guessing that either the pilot of the GN-004 is the antagonist or is a female lead.

Seriously, what happened to women and their prominent role in Gundam? Just look back at Zeta Gundam and all the main character's who were female: Emma Sheen, Reccoa Londe, Fa Yuiry, Four Murasame, Sara Zabiarov, Rosamia Badam, Haman Karn, Beltorchika Irma, Mirai Noa, Mouar Pharaoh, Lila Milla Rira, and Mineva Lao Zabi. Hell, Amuro and Char are still (MSG Spoiler) spoiler[agonizing over Lalah Sune's death.]

I just really hope this new Gundam has at least has more capable female pilots...
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:24 pm Reply with quote
[quote="HitokiriShadow"]
Tony K. wrote:
That Allelujah Paptism guy has a cool design, but what's wth the name, is that like a play on words "Hallelujah Baptism" or something?

What was posted on AoD actually has his name as "Allelujah Baptism." It's going to be really hard to take this guy seriously. It's just such a ridiculous name. Laughing

Not more ridiculous than many names in Gundam SEED like "Mwu La Fllaga" "Raw la Creuset" "Rey Ze Burrel" or "Fllay Allstair" Laughing Laughing
SarcasticPirate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:29 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Tony K. wrote:
That Allelujah Paptism guy has a cool design, but what's wth the name, is that like a play on words "Hallelujah Baptism" or something?

What was posted on AoD actually has his name as "Allelujah Baptism." It's going to be really hard to take this guy seriously. It's just such a ridiculous name. Laughing

Not more ridiculous than many names in Gundam SEED like "Mwu La Fllaga" "Raw la Creuset" "Rey Ze Burrel" or "Fllay Allstair" Laughing Laughing

Not to mention most of Tomino's attempts to make western sounding names...
JohnathanEnder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:58 pm Reply with quote
SarcasticPirate wrote:

What? For one, it's Kamille Bidan, and secondly, he is of French-American decent.

Really? My mistake then, for I am truly quite small and quite stupid. Anime smile;
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:23 pm Reply with quote
So the girly-looking pilot IS a guy.

It's over. The Golden Age of the anime industry is nothing but memory.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:

So because you thought a guy was a girl and got confused, anime is over? Laughing
SarcasticPirate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:06 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Tyrenol wrote:

So because you thought a guy was a girl and got confused, anime is over? Laughing

I'm still hoping for a reverse trap. Laughing
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:49 am Reply with quote
Allelujah Paptism

Watching Japan use Christian ideas and names is like a train wreck you can't look away from. Ha.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:39 am Reply with quote
So, is a 'paptism' like a babtism/pap smear two-for-one special or what?
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:15 pm Reply with quote
For some reason Tieria looks cool to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5