• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: First Image of Live-Action Dragonball's Goku Published

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Then please tell me what the "right direction" is and exactly how this movie should be made.

By adapting the source manga, from the beginning, not in the middle of it, therefore leaving out characters and plot lines that set up the said part being adapted.

Hell, let's just start with a premise that doesn't involve Goku being in high school.

Quote:
Nobody told you to "shut up" either so please spare me your "my stupid opinions can't be silenced FIRST AMENDMENT" theatrics.

Please. You want everyone complaining to shut up. It's obvious, and I'm sick of it.

Quote:
You're insulting my intelligence by suggesting that you have some enlightened wisdom that enables you to look at one black and white photo of a publicity still and proclaim that the entire film will be trash.

Again, I feel I have to dumb myself down to even respond to this.

It does not, DOES NOT, take a genius or "enlightened wisdom" to tell this movie is not going to be a good Dragon Ball movie. And, if you had even took the time to read my post, I'm not basing this on one still; I'm basing it on the interviews, the pictures, and all of the information so far along with this photo.

Quote:
I'm not insulting your intelligence, I'm insulting your ability to be remotely reasonable about something as trivial as a live-action movie based on a cartoon aimed at children.

Dragon Ball is an anime near and dear to my heart.
Arcwave

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I don't care what anyone else says, I'm seeing the movie. All of this hodgepodge none-sense about how the film will be a complete disaster sickens me. You haven't even seen it! Plus, with Brian Tyler scoring the film, that automatically should boost your confidence; not to mention he is a Shunsuke Kikuchi fan.

Cool
barashin

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:08 pm Reply with quote
UltimaShadowfax wrote:
Quote:
Then please tell me what the "right direction" is and exactly how this movie should be made.

By adapting the source manga, from the beginning, not in the middle of it, therefore leaving out characters and plot lines that set up the said part being adapted.

Hell, let's just start with a premise that doesn't involve Goku being in high school.

Quote:
Nobody told you to "shut up" either so please spare me your "my stupid opinions can't be silenced FIRST AMENDMENT" theatrics.

Please. You want everyone complaining to shut up. It's obvious, and I'm sick of it.

Quote:
You're insulting my intelligence by suggesting that you have some enlightened wisdom that enables you to look at one black and white photo of a publicity still and proclaim that the entire film will be trash.

Again, I feel I have to dumb myself down to even respond to this.

It does not, DOES NOT, take a genius or "enlightened wisdom" to tell this movie is not going to be a good Dragon Ball movie. And, if you had even took the time to read my post, I'm not basing this on one still; I'm basing it on the interviews, the pictures, and all of the information so far along with this photo.

Quote:
I'm not insulting your intelligence, I'm insulting your ability to be remotely reasonable about something as trivial as a live-action movie based on a cartoon aimed at children.

Dragon Ball is an anime near and dear to my heart.

You're already coming to a conclusion? basing all of the info/interviews, that just previously came out, all of that. And already, your saying this movie will be crap? HAHAHAHAHAHAA Laughing of course you'll come to a conclusion like that. Even I have my doubts about this movie, with the news and interviews that came out, but Im still keeping an open mind about this Laughing Seriously, what intelligence? Laughing please, don't flatter yourself dude:lol: Laughing
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Sakechan: If casual cosplayers doing it on a budget can pull off the hair, I don't see why a studio spending millions can't get it right, either. Plus the 'do Chatwin has looks more like something Gohan would have, not Goku. And if that Napoleon Dynamite guy can make money with unruly hair, why the hell can't they have a main character like that in a tent-pole film? Hell, that brother from High School Musical looks more like Goku than Chatwin!

Anyway, I think what will make this film bomb is that they only got started on it a few months ago. This is the kind of thing which takes planning.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:35 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Sakechan: If casual cosplayers doing it on a budget can pull off the hair, I don't see why a studio spending millions can't get it right, either. Plus the 'do Chatwin has looks more like something Gohan would have, not Goku. And if that Napoleon Dynamite guy can make money with unruly hair, why the hell can't they have a main character like that in a tent-pole film?

Yes clearly if the production design team had just cut spiky hair out of yellow foam this would've been PERFECT

If only they'd have followed the example of the pasty nerds in orange jumpsuits with foam hair!

Also: another completely unrelated movie from 4 years ago had a guy with messy hair... WHY CAN'T FOX GET IT RIGHT?!?!?!?

I'm kind of tired of complaining about the complainers but jesus the stupidity that's emerged as a result of this one image is staggering.
barashin

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Sakechan: If casual cosplayers doing it on a budget can pull off the hair, I don't see why a studio spending millions can't get it right, either. Plus the 'do Chatwin has looks more like something Gohan would have, not Goku. And if that Napoleon Dynamite guy can make money with unruly hair, why the hell can't they have a main character like that in a tent-pole film?

Yes clearly if the production design team had just cut spiky hair out of yellow foam this would've been PERFECT

If only they'd have followed the example of the pasty nerds in orange jumpsuits with foam hair!

Also: another completely unrelated movie from 4 years ago had a guy with messy hair... WHY CAN'T FOX GET IT RIGHT?!?!?!?

I'm kind of tired of complaining about the complainers but jesus the stupidity that's emerged as a result of this one image is staggering.
I know yah Laughing Imagine how they'll react when a trailer comes out, or better yet the actual movie. Coming from all of these endless complaints, I won't be surprised at all if they started rioting Laughing seriously Laughing
MelloHatesNear

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

If someone is willing to call blasphemy on the accuracy of the spikes in someone's hair, odds are you're not going to win an argument with them.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Zac: I've seen them pull it off without the foam, and it looks more believable than this. And Napoleon Dynamite was more successful than most teen comedies which didn't have the male leads humping pies.
MelloHatesNear

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:56 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Zac: I've seen them pull it off without the foam, and it looks more believable than this. And Napoleon Dynamite was more successful than most teen comedies which didn't have the male leads humping pies.

Has it struck you that perhaps they're not TRYING to duplicate it?

I will be very surprised if they dye Bulma's hair blue/green, however.

Very pleasantly surprised.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:00 am Reply with quote
Mello: Why? They had no problem with Hugh Jackman keeping a Wolverine 'do. (Well, from what I hear about them being jerks to Singer, maybe they did have a problem...)
MelloHatesNear

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:08 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Mello: Why? They had no problem with Hugh Jackman keeping a Wolverine 'do. (Well, from what I hear about them being jerks to Singer, maybe they did have a problem...)

Different tastes for different creative teams. Not every director is the same. Some prefer to infuse their own style or to alter the one that already exists.

You can't expect every adaptation to be a cookie-cutter duplicate of the original work.

Besides, who's to say that's not just his costume-in-progress? How do you know they don't give him a reason to have his hair become the way it is in the manga, as opposed to how it is presented there?

It's too early for assumption, and entirely too early for scrutiny.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:09 am Reply with quote
You know, now that I think about it, hollywood got the anime movie thing totally backwards: The Wachowski brothers should have been the ones making the Dragonball movie, and Fox should have done Speed Racer...

Speed racer would have been a much more fun film if it had been a rushed, crappy-looking blaspheme to the original (and really, how many die-hard speed racer fans would be out there complaining because they changed chim-chim into a robo-monkey and set the entire thing on mars), whereas the Wachowski bros. might actually have the ability to recreate Dragonball style action in a live-action film in a cool way instead of a dumb way. Although for some reason the image of Goku wearing a leather coat and sunglasses comes into my head...
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:20 am Reply with quote
samuel: Yeah, I even suggested the W. Bros. in that DB poll @ FUNimation's site so long ago. There's no doubt that they couldn't have done Neo vs. the Smiths without having seen DBZ.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:24 am Reply with quote
samuelp

You hear any good news from your side of the world about the live action Dragonball?Whats the word?What was their take on Speed Racer?
tidusora

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:02 am Reply with quote
Personally, I would've taken it in a different direction, but I want to see a trailer first before I let out any critique. If the trailer ends up like the doomed Mortal Kombat series, then I will be dissapointed, but if it surprises me, like Spider Man or Iron Man, then I will be in awe, probably drooling over it like a crazed fanboy. =D
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10