• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Season 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I can't be a coincidence, right? How in the exchange between RImuru and Clayman, it was Rimuru who spouted several villain-type lines (specially "if you tell me I'll grant you a quick death")while Clayman's were heroic.
Even the tone itself didn't agree much with Rimuru. At this point, him beating down didn't feel like retribution or cathartic but rather:
GhostD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
I can't be a coincidence, right? How in the exchange between RImuru and Clayman, it was Rimuru who spouted several villain-type lines (specially "if you tell me I'll grant you a quick death")while Clayman's were heroic.
Even the tone itself didn't agree much with Rimuru. At this point, him beating down didn't feel like retribution or cathartic but rather:

I actually found it both funny and ironic at the same time.
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Darn the power scale in this show is all over. Laplace running away from hinata but killing a demon lord in 1 blow, even if it was a pretend one. I enjoyed the episode until then. Gahh Im tired of all these suddenly the bad guys cant be resisted moments. Because I just know the story will flop back to Rimuru OP and friends eventually. So this just feels like a let down in the last minutes to me. I wanted to end the series happy.

Sigh.

Additionally I didn't find it that evil for Rimuru. He's a king, he must make concerted efforts to help his people even if that means hurting others. Being cruel to his enemies fits that profile just fine. From king arthur slaughtering his allies including their families to Vladimir Tepes putting his enemies to the stake to drive away invaders. Cruel things can make heroes and villains. (Tepes is a national hero in Romania)
GhostD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
Darn the power scale in this show is all over. Laplace running away from hinata but killing a demon lord in 1 blow. I enjoyed the episode until then. Gahh Im tired of all these suddenly the bad guys cant be resisted moments. Because I just know the story will flop back to Rimuru OP and friends eventually. So this just feels like a let down in the last minutes to me. I wanted to end the series happy.

Sigh.

Additionally I didn't find it that evil for Rimuru. He's a king, he must make concerted efforts to help his people even if that means hurting others. Being cruel to his enemies fits that profile just fine. From king arthur slaughtering his allies including their families to Vladimir Tepes putting his enemies to the stake to drive away invaders. Cruel things can make heroes and villains. (Tepes is a national hero in Romania)

Im not gonna defend the writing of this show but I should at least point out that Roy isn't the actual Demon Lord but rather a proxy or stand-in for Luminous. His power isn't even close to Hinata let alone Luminous. Also remember that it was shown that Clayman is actually weaker than Laplace and the other 2. He only showed what he can actually do when he got pissed

Also I don't think the 'Vlad' from Vlad the Impaler was actually Vladimir iirc anyway.
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I was talking about Vladimir Tepes, the real world figure and national hero of Romania. Otherwise know as Vlad the Impaler, he is a real world figure with a genuine story. King Arthur is a story but still shows how kingship is burden with inhumane decisions.

And yes I recognise that he was a faux demon lord but still, he was running from Hinata. Someone who had an advantage against normal monsters and still struggled to some extent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vlad_the_Impaler
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
Darn the power scale in this show is all over. Laplace running away from hinata but killing a demon lord in 1 blow, even if it was a pretend one. I enjoyed the episode until then. Gahh Im tired of all these suddenly the bad guys cant be resisted moments. Because I just know the story will flop back to Rimuru OP and friends eventually. So this just feels like a let down in the last minutes to me. I wanted to end the series happy.

Sigh.

The vamprie wasn't a demon king, he was merely pretending. And I guess Laplace just let himself get killed last time.
Although Clayman WAS also a demon king, and we know he was weaker than Laplace.

And I don't care about kings. Kings can and do be not-so-nice-people. In modern fiction a king is more likely to be a villain than a hero in the first place.
I'm not going to blame Rimuru much here, but sadism isn't heroic at all and the tone of the scene wasn't celebratory, as they were just beating the figurative dead horse.
Vlad Tepes was also an authoritarian asshole... and not that much of a big deal to be honest. Much as Romania might have looked hard for a national symbol in the wake of nationalism, he was just a high-born guy who wanted land and power and probably didn't care much about Wallachia itself or its people (which is just how kings mostly worked, their efforts went towards themselves and their dinasty, not nations).
GhostD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
I was talking about Vladimir Tepes, the real world figure and national hero of Romania. Otherwise know as Vlad the Impaler, he is a real world figure with a genuine story. And yes I recognise that he was a faux demon lord but still, he was running from Hinata. Someone who had an advantage against normal monsters and still struggled to some extent. King Arthur is a story but still shows how kingship is burden with inhumane decisions.

I never paid attention to history class so I wont linger on Vlady but Hinata never struggled against Rimuru who is by no means normal and he barely escaped her. Trust me you haven't seen what she can really do yet but you will get the chance when season 3 comes out. Whenever that will be
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:37 pm Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
Trust me you haven't seen what she can really do yet but you will get the chance now that they pretty much acknowledged season 3

Then why didn't Hinata properly kill Rimuru? Despite having him in an anti monster field that weakened him significantly? Instead she engaged Rimuru in a war of attrition. If anything this is the perfect example of wacky power scale that I was talking about. The need for the normal of the past to rise to the new level trumping consistency.

As for Yuev what do I say? We have differing opinion this time on Rimuru's actions. But for me vanquishing his foe in a painful manner to follow through with his threat is far more acceptable for his position then slaughtering of surrendering soldiers and enslavement beyond standard prisoner of war duties.
GhostD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:46 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Cryten"]
GhostD wrote:
Cryten wrote:
Trust me you haven't seen what she can really do yet but you will get the chance now that they pretty much acknowledged season 3

Then why didn't Hinata properly kill Rimuru? Despite having him in an anti monster field that weakened him significantly? Instead she engaged Rimuru in a war of attrition. If anything this is the perfect example of wacky power scale that I was talking about.

She underestimated him because she caught him off guard and weakened him with the barrier. She thought she took him out unaware that he escaped at the last minute but she figures it out later. Again Im not trying to defend the writing and power scaling in this show but Im just pointing out what I saw. And Im just gonna say this right now. spoiler[Theyre gonna have a rematch in season 3]
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:48 pm Reply with quote
She sure didn't seem like the type to go easy on opponents, more the zealous purger type then play with her prey type. Its just based on what we saw of hinata, laplace and his feat of super speed and power should of been able to skip past hinata rather then engage her. Thats what caused my feeling of let down. It was another moment like the humans slaughtering tempest. A forced threat that doesnt match what else we have seen until now.
GhostD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
She sure didn't seem like the type to go easy on opponents, more the zealous purger type then play with her prey type.

She is the zealous purger type. If you watch their fight again she never once gave Rimuru the chance to explain anything but don’t forget that like every other opponent Rimuru fights she doesn’t know what his skills and abilities are. She never felt the need to use her more powerful skills and arsenal which was her mistake
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:01 pm Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
Cryten wrote:
She sure didn't seem like the type to go easy on opponents, more the zealous purger type then play with her prey type.

She is the zealous purger type. If you watch their fight again she never once gave Rimuru the chance to explain anything but don’t forget that like every other opponent Rimuru fights she doesn’t know what his skills and abilities are. She never felt the need to use her more powerful skills and arsenal which was her mistake

She did use an absolute obliteration skill though. Which seemed like a last resort thing. Speciaaly after she lost her very special sword which had been the only threat to Rimuru in the whole series so far.
If they want me to believe that Hinata is an actual threat, then maybe they shouldn't have nerfed Rimuru into the ground first? If they deemed it necessary to ambush and gimp Rimuru before engaging, how am I going to believe that this person actually poses a threat to a way more powerful version of him?

Specially since this series has the habit of introducing threats and problems AFTER they have already been solved. And Hinata very much seems to fit the bill.
GhostD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
GhostD wrote:
Cryten wrote:

She did use an absolute obliteration skill though. Which seemed like a last resort thing. Speciaaly after she lost her very special sword which had been the only threat to Rimuru in the whole series so far.
If they want me to believe that Hinata is an actual threat, then maybe they shouldn't have nerfed Rimuru into the ground first? If they deemed it necessary to ambush and gimp Rimuru before engaging, how am I going to believe that this person actually poses a threat to a way more powerful version of him?

Specially since this series has the habit of introducing threats and problems AFTER they have already been solved. And Hinata very much seems to fit the bill.
Twisted Evil

Better get used to that. That obliteration skill came at a price IIRC and Rimuru had a good chance of dying if he didn't escape at the last minute. Plus I never said anything about her being a threat to him after his ascension. Also she has another weapon besides the one she lost.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:46 am Reply with quote
I have never seen a major villain so deflated and depicted so pathetically. There was literally no tension at all in three episodes worth of build up. Even the biggest thing to come out of Walpurgis was, basically, a name change.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Clayman always thought he was bigger than he actually was. Being a puppet master doesn't really equate to having actually physical power one on one. He wasn't even an actual demon lord, so it makes sense than any real demon lord can kick his butt.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 44 of 45