• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2009 Fullmetal Alchemist Debut Gets Australian Simulcast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
babbo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:37 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
When you disagree with someone fdo you say I disagree and end it there? No, I explain why I disagree with it, the fact of the matter is if even fansubbers could follow this animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2003-06-08/2 I would have no problem, but they don't

*watches the entire point fly over his head and disappear into the horizon*

He was merely posting facts (none of them really disputable I might add). There was no opinion to agree with or disagree with.

Quote:

Also from Of Otaku and Fansubs it says in the conclusion "Because these two forces pull in opposite directions, it is too early to look to fansubs as an example of how continuing widespread online copyright infringement can benefit a company. But as the situation matures and as more studies into this area are conducted, the relationship will reveal a great deal about the nature of copyright in a connected digital world. At the moment, anime distributors may just be between the proverbial “rock and a hard place” and not necessarily developing a new business model based around widespread copyright infringement." Going further in section 6.3 " Anecdotal evidence suggests that Japanese companies are starting to negotiate the non-Japanese distribution rights before the show has even aired in Japan. U.S. distributors have even started to co-produce series in Japan, thus guaranteeing that the U.S. license rights have already been assigned. For example, Urban Vision, owner of the rights to the widely popular (and classic) Ninja Scroll movie, helped produce and create a new TV series in Japan based on the film. As discussed, fansubs have reached the point in quality that fans don’t necessarily need to replace their fansubs with licensed releases." Source: http://www.bileta.ac.uk/Document%20Library/1/Of%20Otakus%20and%20Fansubs%20-%20A%20Critical%20Look%20at%20Anime%20Online%20in%20Light%20of%20Current%20Issues%20in%20Copyright%20law.pdf Dated 2007

Quote:
The simple reality is that people will resort to those methods until a better alternative is provided; The simple reality is that people will resort to those methods until a better alternative is provided; whether it's right, wrong, or justifiable in anyway is irrelevant o,o;;

I hope that is not your personnal ethics, as if I were to take that then I would be wrong to agree or disagree with any action that any person could do. So a better alternative? Fansubs are not suppossed to be the better alternative at least according to their ethics.
That's simply how things are man. It doesn't matter if you agree with them. People will do what they want to do, not what you think is right or wrong. You really need to step back from your fansub crusade mode for a moment and think. The only people outside of the industry that matter to its success are the consumers. It doesn't matter if the fansubbers didn't mean to provide an alternative to legit releases. That's how they're being used. And if the Industry has fill in that gap. For now that means streams, HD, and faster releases >.>
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6