• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kobato. - series discussion.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pparker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:46 pm Reply with quote
@Bento... don't look for too much precision or significance in the crossovers. They are primarily fanservice. You're probably familiar with the CLAMP concept of dimensions or universes--certainly if you've watched/read Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle and xxxHolic. TRC was literally created as fanservice by CLAMP to celebrate their 20th anniversary, with over 100 CLAMP characters appearing in it. Kobato exists in its own universe, but is related to other the universes via crossovers and locations. Universes vary by time and environmental details in varying degrees of similarity. They just don't make a big deal out of consistency, really.

There seems to be a whole complex mapping of characters across these dimensions, but mostly it is doppelgangers that are the same, but different (Wish is an exception, announced to be a "merger" with Kobato). Thus virtually all the characters in TRC are look- and act-alikes, but are not the original characters. Some Kobato characters are "real", and some are 2nd generation clones.

It's CLAMP, what can I say. The only certainty is that Yuuko (xxxHolic) is the witch (goddess?) at the center of all universes Smile.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:27 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
@Bento... don't look for too much precision or significance in the crossovers. They are primarily fanservice. You're probably familiar with the CLAMP concept of dimensions or universes--certainly if you've watched/read Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle and xxxHolic. TRC was literally created as fanservice by CLAMP to celebrate their 20th anniversary, with over 100 CLAMP characters appearing in it. Kobato exists in its own universe, but is related to other the universes via crossovers and locations. Universes vary by time and environmental details in varying degrees of similarity. They just don't make a big deal out of consistency, really.

There seems to be a whole complex mapping of characters across these dimensions, but mostly it is doppelgangers that are the same, but different (Wish is an exception, announced to be a "merger" with Kobato). Thus virtually all the characters in TRC are look- and act-alikes, but are not the original characters. Some Kobato characters are "real", and some are 2nd generation clones.

It's CLAMP, what can I say. The only certainty is that Yuuko (xxxHolic) is the witch (goddess?) at the center of all universes Smile.

Thanks. I figured it was something like that. That's what essentially disappointed me about TRC in the first place.

Also, about Yuuko . . . yeah. She's, by far, one of my favorite characters. (don't read this if you haven't read all of the XXXHolic manga spoiler[it's a real same that she had to die. and, if she really is the center of the universe . . . does that mean it's in Watanuki's hands at this point? ] That's a little scary. Hopefully there will be more closure to XXXHolic and Kobato alike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Ahhhhhhhh, another episode of Kobato being adorable. My scarred heart is restored. I really like the content of this one:spoiler[ the reconciliation of estranged friends is always heart-warming.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:33 am Reply with quote
I just saw Episode 13 and I thought I would post here again.

Firstly I will mention about episode 12 establishing a bit of a background of Ioryogi. We found out spoiler[Ioryogi used to be a bit of a bad guy, and started a war, and part of what he is doing is for punishment. I also liked the Wish character's account of Ioryogi chasing Ginsei.]

In episode 13 they have showed us that some time has passed since the begining of the show, as we saw Kobato has gathered quite a bit of "candy" (though not quickly enough). Though probably the most interesting bits was finding out that spoiler[Kobato actually has no memory, so that is why she is so naive.] I also noticed that Kobato is always wearing spoiler[a hat and the chance of it falling off created some drama], looks like there are some other things going on.

Last edited by DuskyPredator on Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:57 am; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:48 am Reply with quote
Yeah, sorry about that. I will catch up on Kobato. soon, I promise. All the episodes thus far - including #13 - are on my computer, but I just have been busy. Still, that's little excuse for me to be neglecting the thread; Ioryogi is going to roast me alive.

At any rate, I have linked DuskyPredator's post into the index.
Niomo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Seeing as the Series ended this week (with a double hour long tv block with 2 episodes), I've gotta make my comments. /rez

The show as a whole was probably like a 7-7.5 for me. The beginning was pretty good, but the middle really put me to sleep. But they had some pretty good character development for the "main" daily adult characters and I never really said "Wow I just wasted 20 minutes" (Like I have with Sora no Woto and Kimi no Todoke)

However, the last episode. Damn. That was some A+ work right there. spoiler[The way they used time skips effectively was impressive and the little recap of what everyone is doing 4 years later was outstanding.] I absolutely loved these last two episodes. And although I thought I'd never say it, but I am already missing the dim but energetic red head named Kobato already.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:00 am Reply with quote
I just saw the last episode. I was pretty much counting down the time the episode will have for good ending, and I say it was satasfactory, though I am a little down about it ending.

Personally I never really symperthised with fujimoto, spoiler[but I am happy with how it ended, though how old exactly is Kobato, she looks quite young, and Fujimoto is like 24 or something. I am also not a fan of "woe me, they are gone" or "what can't I remember" episodes, but big plusses for singing and everyone's life went on.]

Though I would have liked to see more of Ioryogi, he was my favourite character in the show, and it looked like there was parts of him unexplored. Maybe if lucky they will release an OVA or short of him.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:53 am Reply with quote
Sounds like I followed a similar trajectory as Niomo: initially started off liking the show and then my interest started to dwindle. For several episodes, I continued to watch more out of habit than true enthusiasm.

Until the final two eppies. Oh mah God. I don't think I have a heart-string that was left unplucked. Those CLAMP chicks had me sobbing like Tammy Fae Baker. A hybrid R1 release will almost certainly wrest some money out of me. I'm really glad I stuck with this; the emotional pay-off at the end was totally worth it.
Niomo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:26 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Sounds like I followed a similar trajectory as Niomo: initially started off liking the show and then my interest started to dwindle. For several episodes, I continued to watch more out of habit than true enthusiasm.

Yep, same here. And its funny too, because around episode like 17ish I questioned if I should stop watching. But my rule is that I finish what I start...so I stuck with it, and I got a very awesome present for doing so.

Thinking about it while I was going to bed, the finale was predictable, but at the same time, still really good.

As for Ioryogi, yeah, it would have been nice to see him a bit more throughout the show...though any time he did go off on his own, we did get a recap of what he was doing, which was nice. Though I would like to see what he looked like in human form. They showed us his shadow once...he looked pretty badass Razz

High Five Kobato, you got to where you wanted to be.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:27 am Reply with quote
To say it in a funny way spoiler[Kobato got a life and realised where she wanted to be was where she was.] I never got sick of the opening either, I decided to actually pay special attention to it in the last episode because it might be the last for a bit.

I also admit not much hapend for a while, we got less "candy" which hapend off screen, thus large time leaps, though that needed to be done to fit the story in. I pretty much watched because there was no reason not to, it didn't really get too terrible anywhere. Among my favourite parts were the tree, the complex motives of the spoiler[husband] who looks a lot like Lelouche, some of the parts involving Ginsei and the earlier eps (fireflies and highschool kids).
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:52 am Reply with quote
Another person here who liked the beginning and starting disliking the show towards the middle and the end. I'm a manga reader to so it was starting to get a little confusing as to which variant was doing what. But, even though the ending had some parts I never like spoiler[oh woe is me, my love interest is DEAD! And lost to me forever! Oh for pete's sake, we've got an episode left, you'll get your happy ending somehow] the very end got to me. The fact that spoiler[Kobato actually remembered her time with Fujimoto, plus the kindergarden was torn down but Sayaka managed to build a new one] redeemed it, in my eyes, in the end. Very CLAMP-ish ending actually, so I guess I'd recommend this to shoujo lovers and just warn them that the middle episodes sag a bit.
Sustenance

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Was curious as to if this anime was ever going to be released as an English dubbed version? My wife has trouble watching anime with English subs is why I am asking. Any information would be appreciated.
swienke

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:46 am Reply with quote
Sustenance wrote:
Was curious as to if this anime was ever going to be released as an English dubbed version? My wife has trouble watching anime with English subs is why I am asking. Any information would be appreciated.

We really won't know until it actually gets licensed, which hasn't happened yet (to the best of my knowledge). Once it does get licensed, I think it will get dubbed if the company believes it will sell well, otherwise all bets are off.

At this point though, it's all guesswork.
Gudomana

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:48 am Reply with quote
swienke wrote:
Sustenance wrote:

We really won't know until it actually gets licensed, which hasn't happened yet (to the best of my knowledge). Once it does get licensed, I think it will get dubbed if the company believes it will sell well, otherwise all bets are off.

At this point though, it's all guesswork.

Yes... Kobato hasn't get any license but I think sooner or Later this anime will get a license
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:42 am Reply with quote
Finally got around to watching it and wow, what a great ending. Had I known that from the very beginning I'd have enjoyed the series so much more.
Episode 23 and 24 were extremely enjoyable, but it's a shame they focused at least half of the series on an issue solved so quickly.
Either way, excellent job, Clamp.

Too bad it's about 9am here, and at this time it's hard to get emotional over a series (geez, Apollo surely can't get the hang of the climax). Hopefully this summer will fly by, as I love long nights.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7