• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Bringing the Heat

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Almaz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:04 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:

I was on the fence about it. Noah argued heavily that it should be Shelf Worthy, and because I was watching the thinkpack I thought it might cost about $30. When I found out it was more than that, I switched it to Rental.

I understand that you are not writing the column to promote DVD/Streaming/ETC sales. To bump a DVD set to rental just because the price is not to your liking is kinda sad. If a movie/show is good enough, paying for the theater and watching it is warranted (provided one can afford it.) However, the theater is by a means not cheap (except for the dollar ones if they still exist.) Heat Guy J can be bought with Right Stuf studio sale for just under $30. Many other titles can be purchased the same way. I do understand there is a price which I will not buy an item. There is some DVD line (I cannot remember) which has some classic movies in it. I would like to have a copy of the movie; however, I WILL NOT buy for the $50+ price for one movie. I would not consider it not shelf worthy just because of the price though. Like you said before, we are in a recession. Those companies are in the same boat. While I will not pay for themselves to have a mansion and a yacht, free will just put them out of business.
21stcenturydigitalboy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:48 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
She was still in high school. She's 16.

I remembered her being a high school drop out going back to get the Japanese equivalent of a GED... it's been about a year, I'll go back and check it again.

Quote:
Granted, it's like that in all three mediums, but I just can't ever come to see how he could reach such a conclusion, unless he was literally mentally retarded, which is possible.

Extensive drug use can do that. Or was that changed in the anime as well?

Yeah, now that I think of it, she might have actually been legal. But still, she's just not a safe partner for Satou in the slightest, romance wise.

I can't help but think if anyone wanted them together, they were totally misinterpreting the show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:09 am Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
This must the third or fourth time that I've read something good about Heat Guy J, I really am going to have to take the time to pick than up and give it a proper viewing..

I watched it when it showed on tech tv.it's actually a good series and it have a good dub. Not FMA or Hellsing good,but it's a definate shelf worthy. Also your not the only one who personally would have daphne as a shelf worthy as well. it's the same with me. though i got the geneon collection already.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Almaz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I have to correct myself. Heat Guy J is now $20 in the Right Stuf weekly sale.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:02 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
Quote:
The only similar anime series I've seen is Burst Angel, which has the distinction of being god-awful boring, despite sexy character designs.

Can't agree to that. Burst Angel is one of my personal favorite action series, so entertaining in its bizarre campiness it is.

I decided to get DMP's edition of Hakua Ugetsu's flamboyant artbook, since I liked his character designs (see avatar), but passed on the Viridian Collection of the series when Comic Quest had it in stock. Maybe I'll get the DVDs later on, but having seen the show on TV is enough for now.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:44 am Reply with quote
Erin wrote:
For reasons which go unexplained, the Nereids strip down to bikinis to fight. They wear chaps and cut-off shirts the rest of the time, so it's odd that they seem to need to remove more clothing for a gunfight or hand-to-hand combat. Their lack of clothing never seems to phase the bad guys, either.
Some things just don't need explaining. Laughing
domino

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:48 am Reply with quote
I feel like DVD price should be mentioned but not affect the overall review placement like that.
Cause one $50 DVD might be $20 elsewhere (like mentioned before) or $15 used from somewhere, but the show will always be the same show. :D
Almaz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:45 pm Reply with quote
domino wrote:
I feel like DVD price should be mentioned but not affect the overall review placement like that.
Cause one $50 DVD might be $20 elsewhere (like mentioned before) or $15 used from somewhere, but the show will always be the same show. Very Happy

I do not have a problem with Erin's reviews for most part. For me, it is a disconnect from the good/excellent review to the final tally of "rental" due to price. It is like rounding down instead of up. This "fill in the blank" is good, good VAs, etc.; however, the price sucks so the title goes to rental. I was just using Heat Guy J for example. MTV would not picked it up if it was a fair title that was not going to get the ratings. Just like Erin said it was a good title that was shelf worthy except for its price. That is the part that is making reading the column "difficult." Reminds me of a SNL skit with the character Mango. Wants to love but can't.
Almaz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:47 pm Reply with quote
By the way domino, I was agreeing with you. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6