• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sakura Trick (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:18 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Finally, a romance where both partners have strong libidos, and lust isn't made out to be wrong or perverted or any such bullshit. Hallelujah.

High School DxD had plenty of characters lusting, and though Issei was a pervert, he was not made out to be the bad guy because the writers assumed the viewers identified with him. Viewers, with perhaps a bit of pride, could entertain lust, action, and drama occurring in the same space (if not intersecting) in ways most audience may not accept.

The interesting thing about Sakura Trick is not only the lack of a character the male viewers can directly identify with. The lack of an audience surrogate or an antagonist to challenge the normative order means that the show exists as a sort of unattainable utopia untainted by insecurities about gender, power, and loss. Viewers can then more easily mentally alternate between viewing characters' relationship dynamics as a point of celebrated cuteness and as an object of viewer lust, depending on the context of plot progression and/or viewer need.

Of course if one considers that in only a kind of utopia can what we (at least in the Anglosphere) call "real romance" exist in a romantic comedy anime, then what does that say about most of the rest of the titles to be released that are not utopian? It's a bit of a downer, really.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:56 am Reply with quote
Brent Allison wrote:
The interesting thing about Sakura Trick is not only the lack of a character the male viewers can directly identify with. The lack of an audience surrogate or an antagonist to challenge the normative order means that the show exists as a sort of unattainable utopia untainted by insecurities about gender, power, and loss. Viewers can then more easily mentally alternate between viewing characters' relationship dynamics as a point of celebrated cuteness and as an object of viewer lust, depending on the context of plot progression and/or viewer need.

Of course if one considers that in only a kind of utopia can what we (at least in the Anglosphere) call "real romance" exist in a romantic comedy anime, then what does that say about most of the rest of the titles to be released that are not utopian? It's a bit of a downer, really.

Is there going to be a test on this at the end of the series?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:22 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

All the yuri spoiler[marriage] talk was pretty close to nosebleed inducing. Interesting that Yuu would even take what she said spoiler[as a proposal], I was feeling quite embarrassed.

They are scared by their super strong feelings, but by the end the times their kissing are becoming more and more daring. I notice how the third couple always seems to have one looking at the other, and she responded on kinds of love, so we see what is happening there.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:15 am Reply with quote
Well, I gotta admit. Seeing those girls in those cute dresses sure is cute :>

For some reason, this episode almost felt like foreshadowing...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Oh God do Japanese students really wear school outfits to weddings....? Good thing they went with the rentals.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:30 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Oh God do Japanese students really wear school outfits to weddings....? Good thing they went with the rentals.

I imagine its like a police officer wearing there uniform to special events.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I do remember seeing it recently, probably on this site, the fact that uniforms are such uni-tool for students that they often wear them to weddings.
dvls_advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I loved the way Haruka interpreted her father's rant. If the time comes I wonder if Haruka will remind her father of exactly what he said Very Happy
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

Before now for some reason I thought that Yuzu was the more screw up of the two since Kaede is the class president. But apparently Kaede is more than I realize as she copies Yuzu's homework. Although it does look like she might have figured out the truth.

Half the episode was like just Yuu and Haruka on the phone.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Was episode 9 the first episode spoiler[without a physical kiss] on screen?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Was episode 9 the first episode spoiler[without a physical kiss] on screen?

I'm trying to figure out how we got this far without a grope.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:37 pm Reply with quote
O nice this was a 3 part episode.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:39 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

Well Kaede has actually spoiler[figured out Haruka and Yuu are dating, although everyone else seems] oblivious to it. Although at some points it is pretty obvious.

Well the subs I watched for this episode were also pretty terrible in understanding things, I don't know if it is the same case with others. I probably would have enjoyed Haruka's fight with Kaede more if the subtitles were clearer.

I feel a little sad at times that I have only seen snow twice, once when I was too young to really do anything, and a few years ago when I took the chance to frolic like an idiot child. Yes I was at least 20, shut up there is like barely any snow easily accessible in Australia, especially north. I still have no idea what a snowball must be like.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:51 pm Reply with quote
That spoiler[ladder kiss] was quite memorable in the latest episode. I still remember it in my head now.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote
When I was a kid, I loved the idea of snow and always wished I could get a second chance to play in it. The older I got the more "May all your Christmases be white" sounded like a curse.

As for the episode, more spoiler[melancholy over Kotone's future and the role Shizuku will have in it] - I really, really hope they find spoiler[a happy ending for them both, even if it means fleeing the country].

And it looks like Kaede's also spoiler[figured out Mitsuki has the hots for Haruka]. I wonder what she'll do with that little morsel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7