• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Where Is All The Anime On Hulu Going?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PMDR

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Riddle ME that Answerman! My Shimoneta "back-door" is still open but I need to know if it will be closed soon because no one has announced a DVD release and the Funi views are likely through Hulu too! I hated Hulu's commercials and how they handled subscriptions but at least I get to watch one of my favorites for free until the DVD comes out (if ever~~~). Poor Anna, I bet the VA's estate may be "holding things up"...

Unfortunately, Ms. Matsuki is not the first actor to pass away while cast in a production or famous for doing specific characters. It happens. Her roles have already been recast. If needed, someone else will do Anna's voice.

It would be VERY unusual for a voice actor to have any ownership of a show. That is the only way her passing would impact the future of the show.

Matsuki was almost certainly "just hired talent" paid to do her role and done. It was probably a flat rate job and all rights to that performance work were signed away. If there are any royalties due from that work, then the show or her agency 81 Produce would pay the estate, but the estate would have no say in who took over her roles or anything like that.
tophg

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:10 am Reply with quote
It's sad to see Natsume's Book of Friends on the expiring list. All 4 seasons are set to disappear from Hulu on 1 June.

It's even more puzzling given that this is hardly a niche show, and a new 5th season is slated for this Autumn ... not sure what's going on at Hulu, I wish they'd make a clear statement about their continuing strategy for anime.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:48 am Reply with quote
tophg wrote:
It's sad to see Natsume's Book of Friends on the expiring list. All 4 seasons are set to disappear from Hulu on 1 June.

It's even more puzzling given that this is hardly a niche show, and a new 5th season is slated for this Autumn ... not sure what's going on at Hulu, I wish they'd make a clear statement about their continuing strategy for anime.
If you don't think Natsume Yuujincho is a niche show, than you're out of touch with the general anime community.
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Never liked Hulu (If it were up to me I'd burn it to the ground.) but I do understand some people just can't/don't want to pay to watch anime and are willing to offset the cost by watching ads before finding non-legal ways to get their anime fix.

The vast majority of Hulu content can easily be found on other services. I just can't get behind Hulu the whole idea of streaming is to get away from ads. This is why I constantly renew my Crunchy/Funimation/Netflix accounts. They provide a great service with huge catalogs without ads. Sure Funimation's web player SUCKS and Crunchy/Funimations PS4/PS3 player SUCK a lot (720p??? Are we living in 2010?) but they don't have ads, sometimes have dubs (I liked them because my brothers and sister don't like subs and most dubs have quality finish) and are curated for us the anime fans. Hulu's business model will never be anime focus and therefore we'll always play second/third/fourth fiddle to their top content.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:15 pm Reply with quote
tophg wrote:

There are 39 episodes of Natsume available at Crunchyroll. I don't know if they constitute "all 4 seasons" or not though.

I have a premium Hulu subscription (the one without ads) that I will probably be dropping soon, not because of anime removals but just a broad disinterest in what they are showing. I don't care about contemporary television series, so Hulu adds no value for me there. I have watched a couple of Criterion films and will probably watch a few more before dropping the service. Netflix will probably be the next to go. Whoever said that Netflix is good for "old" movies apparently has a different perspective than I do. I see few films on Netflix (or Hulu) from before 1970 or even 1980. What's especially lacking on the streaming services are films from the 1920's through the 1950's. There are a few classics like Citizen Kane or Safety First, but they are exceptions.

That will leave me with subscriptions to Crunchyroll and Funimation, and Amazon Prime, though I maintain that for the delivery services more than the video streaming.

So I can't say I'm all that disappointed about Hulu's housecleaning efforts. It's nice that Viz is maintaining the few titles it has up on Hulu, but the absence of Cross Game and Monster from their selection is infuriating. Luckily there are high-quality torrents for both shows.
uLTraCarL

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:38 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
There are 39 episodes of Natsume available at Crunchyroll. I don't know if they constitute "all 4 seasons" or not though.

39 episodes were for the 1st 3 seasons. The 4th season is filed under Natsume Yujin-cho Shi.

Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:50 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I have a premium Hulu subscription (the one without ads) that I will probably be dropping soon, not because of anime removals but just a broad disinterest in what they are showing. I don't care about contemporary television series, so Hulu adds no value for me there. I have watched a couple of Criterion films and will probably watch a few more before dropping the service. Netflix will probably be the next to go. Whoever said that Netflix is good for "old" movies apparently has a different perspective than I do. I see few films on Netflix (or Hulu) from before 1970 or even 1980. What's especially lacking on the streaming services are films from the 1920's through the 1950's. There are a few classics like Citizen Kane or Safety First, but they are exceptions.

I've noticed a FEW movies show up at absolute random on Hulu, like a couple of James Bonds showing up briefly, but otherwise, their movie section is still rooted in the days of Free Hulu, when all they could afford was public domain. They haven't particularly added to it since, and a quick browse through the Movies section will still bring up the same tarpit of PD/Indie-circuit titles you can get while browsing Amazon Prime. And Viewster. And PSNetwork. And Netflix, when they don't have their one monthly license rotate of actual studio movies.
When HuluPlus went Big-Time, they advertised an "exclusive deal" with Criterion, and...there's yer Citizen Kane and Safety Last. In fact, if you have a reason to subscribe to HuluPlus, just treating it as nothing but the Criterion Channel, and getting a home-study course in world-film history, would alone justify the monthly cost, even without the anime--Like Viz, Criterion could probably do a Criterion Channel for their Bergman and Kurosawa, and did have an early streaming option on their Criterion.com website for a while, but realized it was cheaper to let Hulu handle the dirty work.

And I don't care much about current series--at all--either, but since Hulu sells its TV as its core audience appeal, they still curate a vault of great Fox and Universal network series from the 60's, 70's AND 80's, from back when you knew what day it was by what was showing that night. Those binge-watchers who get excited about "Sunday night is Game of Thrones!", you should have been where I was growing up, where you did not leave the house on Saturday night because of Archie Bunker, Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart and Carol Burnett.
Like disk collectors feel we're helping to restore movie literacy, we're hoping that getting streamers hooked on old streaming 70's/80's reruns will help restore TV literacy, and take television back from grim binge-watched season-arc cliffhangers.
Wonderllama

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Having gone through the lists of expiring anime, the only ones on my list are the Lupin movies and Hanasaku Iroha (which I'm now marathoning). Thankfully I watched Love Live earlier this year...

I'm also watching Index and Railgun. These are the shows that get me to use Hulu. It's hard for me to find an anime I like, but once I do I enjoy sticking to it and savoring it over a long period of time.

You know, the one thing that really bothers me is how late we find out about this info. If we knew about these expirations a month ago, people could prepare and watch shows they always meant to watch. A few days notice is cruel...

The live action shows I'm interested in seem to be on Netflix while a lot of anime is on Crunchyroll... so once I'm done watching my shows I'm gonna have to make a big decision if I want to keep Hulu.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I've noticed that they've been re-uploading series on my list like Mirai Nikki, Anohana and Bunny Drop over the last several days, what's up with that? And why did they deem Bunny Drop worthy over others?

Edit: Nevermind, it seems that they are bumping them up so that more people see them before they are deleted? Mirai Nikki is staying, but you would think Anohana generated good viewership as well. Who knows what their formula is for choosing.
SolHerald

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Crap, I was hoping to watch Nadia before they got rid of it, but never got around to it, what a shame. Hopefully CR or Netflix will pick up after Hulu.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:01 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
[If] you have a reason to subscribe to HuluPlus, just treating it as nothing but the Criterion Channel, and getting a home-study course in world-film history, would alone justify the monthly cost, even without the anime.

Having access to the Criterion Collection was my principal motivation for subscribing to HuluPlus. What it lacks are classic Hollywood films. Many of those stream on Amazon but not under the Prime banner so they are pay-per-view.
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
SolHerald wrote:
Crap, I was hoping to watch Nadia before they got rid of it, but never got around to it, what a shame. Hopefully CR or Netflix will pick up after Hulu.

It certainly used to be on the Anime Network site not too long ago. Don't know if it still is though.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 3:55 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
It certainly used to be on the Anime Network site not too long ago. Don't know if it still is though.

It is (available to non-subscribers too).
SolHerald

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:02 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
st_owly wrote:

It is (available to non-subscribers too).

Sweet, thanks guys.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6