• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Made in Abyss (TV + movies).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Future installments of Made in Abyss will appear as movies. This most recent one, Dawn of the Deep Soul, is the first sequel. It picks up pretty much immediately where the TV series ends. Earlier they released a movie that recaps the series.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:32 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Future installments of Made in Abyss will appear as movies. This most recent one, Dawn of the Deep Soul, is the first sequel. It picks up pretty much immediately where the TV series ends. Earlier they released a movie that recaps the series.

Fab, thank you! Will need to watch it then.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:20 am Reply with quote
Season 2's first episode just aired today.

Sentai licensed it this season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:58 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Season 2's first episode just aired today.

Sentai licensed it this season.

https://www.hidive.com/stream/made-in-abyss-the-golden-city-of-the-scorching-sun/s02e001

I'm rewatching the three movies in advance of season two. I've never watched the theatrical adaptations of the first season; so far they have proved an efficient method to review the story. Then I'm going to rewatch Dawn of the Deep Soul. From my understanding, season two begins after the events in that movie.
ACxS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:21 pm Reply with quote
S2, 1:

From the get-go, I can already tell that we have a winner for this season.

The first season blew me away. Even to this day, I remember how amazing the show was. What is particularly incredible about Made in Abyss is the world-building and storytelling: the mysterious world of the Abyss alone is intriguing, and the story of the people of Abyss just sucks you in from the onset. And yes, it's a hauntingly beautiful (and horrifying) story.

Pretty sure everyone's asking the same thing after this episode: just who are these people who seem to be going to the same place as Riko, Reg and Nanachi? Their ancestors who explored the Abyss before them? If so, why does it feel like it's happening at the same time as the trio? A parallel world? There are so many questions, and that's what makes Made in Abyss captivating.

This show is going to turn me into a trainwreck. That, I'm well aware of. But in a positive way. I know I'm watching something special now. This is going to be an epic show.

P.S. it's interesting to see the part where Riko had to relief herself. You may think it's trivial, but it's one of the most interesting, even fourth wall-breaking, scenes I've watched in some time. In exploration and venturing to unchartered lands, the one unavoidable aspect is to know where to poop (we all poop, let's be real). Yet, in storytelling, we never want to touch on this inconvenient truth (another example: some adventure games work as though the protagonist never has to sleep... or poop). The trio were in a pod for hours, and if that happens to you, naturally you would think "...what happens if I need to go to the bathroom?". Well there you go, the show thought the same thing.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:41 am Reply with quote
2:

You know, Riko and friends eating those eggs remind me of how our ancestors basically had to rely on trial and error to know what's edible and what will kill them. Sure, we have senses that would hint us on whether some thing is bad news or not, and cooking is an effective (but not always 100 percent) way to kill pathogens and make them tastier, but what we eat today is based on wisdom from our ancestors who had to learn it the hard way. Like mushrooms. And stuff that's still moving when you eat them. Ancestors paid a hefty price so that descendants like us don't have to. Gotta admire Riko's optimism for trying funky stuff.

So basically, this episode is a reminder of what explorers have to go through to discover terra incognita: the unknown. They clearly pointed out many times what they do not know, and had to rely on past knowledge and educated guesses on what happened and what they have to do to, well, survive. But the only way for them to progress is to take the plunge, which is basically the premise of their journey to the Abyss.

From what I can sum up, the Ancestors (I'll call them that) have come here before Riko and friends, who are basically following their footsteps. With the cryptic statement at the end, I can only surmise one thing: some of the Ancestors ended up becoming like that thing that welcomed Riko and friends, who will eventually meet up the red-haired girl who is stuck down here too.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if I like this OP as much as the first. I'll have to hear it some more.
Scared Reg is soooooooooo cute.
I don't think I could eat a thing that is still moving though; that freaks me out! Shocked

Member Saber Marionette J where Lime cooked and the food(?) was still bouncing afterwards? Laughing it brought me back to that nostalgic moment. Good thing Riko is a much better cook than Lime though Anime hyper
ACxS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:50 am Reply with quote
3:

This... is... fascinating.

I still don't understand how this layer works, but it's fascinating. From what I gather, these things are all Hollows (def. beings who have survived the sixth layer's curse and whose bodies have become deformed as a result), and their bodies are formed by manifested desires. Bodies can be traded with anything that can be put into value, including your own body (which is particularly deep, if you think about it).

The trading system is governed by Kaja, this "thing" that functions more like economic karma than a judicial system, in a very brutal sense. The only exception of how the Kaja works is that it can't do anything about what happened outside this layer, like what happened to Prushka before arriving here. The Kaja is what keeps this layer in equilibrium, preventing everyone from committing crimes.

In all, this is anthropology 101: learning how society works and what keeps this civilization from ruin. And this is all fascinating; clearly, there's more that needs to be explained.

(Yes, I know that we just watched Meinya getting a nasty hemorrhoids, Nanachi pushing Meinya's rectum back in with her bare hands, and Kaji basically ripping that Hollow apart. That's what makes Made in Abyss beautiful... in a horrifying way).

By the way, Riko's experience is an example of the downside of optimism when it comes to exploring unknown lands. Pessimism is what keeps you alive when you're in a completely foreign environment, but optimism is what keeps you going (that's how we learn new things). But looking on the bright side too much, and it can burn you. Riko's lucky she's just having diarrhea; this is how explorers usually die: from eating nasty stuff.
MaritLage

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:48 am Reply with quote
let·s say that you were a young tadpole explorer yourself , searching through the reeds for mushrooms , never really knowing what could kill you . after all , you could eat one healthy type of mushroom for a whole year , with three whole banquets throughout , and never know if it was laced with arsenic , which slowly accumulates in the body until it reaches a toxicity threshhold shortly before it kills you .

oh well .

some of these relics are really cool !
what do you think a "zoaholic" is? Ka .
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:27 am Reply with quote
4:

Your currency is determined by your value. If you lie to yourself that you are much more valuable, then you will believe your own lie, which becomes the truth, and turns into your value.

Yeah, let that veiled allegory sink in.

So we're getting some some discoveries that raises more questions than answers. Reg apparently came from around here, and has met Faputa before. Of course, he doesn't remember (that old trope). The question is, how does she know his name, which was given to him only by Riko? That is curious.

And who is Maaa? Although this current layer has its own machinations, it still operates according to human morals (in this case, reciprocity). But I'm very inclined to think that Maaa isn't just one of the residents here; she's someone particularly significant in the story. But who is it?

And finally, we come to Nanachi's discovery. The masked man is most probably Bondrewd, so he is connected to what has happened on this layer. But what exactly? And how is Nanachi able to meet Mitty? She was definitely killed by Reg before, yet in this layer, it's explained that Nanachi's current Hollow form is determined by how dearly their worth is by someone else (i.e. Mitty). So does that mean she can somehow be brought back and manifest in some way?

Clearly, we haven't fully understand how this layer works yet.

P.S. And yes, perhaps unsurprisingly, this episode has made me uncomfortable on so many levels too, from Faputa's sniffing out Reg to that damn toilet. That's Made in Abyss for you.
ACxS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:50 am Reply with quote
5:

Things are making a bit more sense now. A bit.

Languages. Perhaps a topic that doesn't seem that important right now, but provides an invaluable insight to what the hell this village (and ultimately this layer) is all about. Each "word" contain several meanings, which in itself isn't weird at all: it's the same concept for English and Japanese as well. The only thing strange about their vernacular is the percentages attached to their words; for our own languages, a word's meaning is mostly determined by context.

But details aside, what's the significance of the scene? The word "village" also means "cradle", and as you can imagine, a cradle is a place you never want to leave especially as a baby; it's the most comfortable place you can imagine. So much that you, as an adult, would sacrifice anything to go back to the time you were in a cradle. Deep, in a pretty horrifying way.

It's pretty obvious by now who is who right now: two of the Three Sages are the two leaders of the ancestors. I'm just wondering who's the third (I'm guessing it's Faputa). The Kaja (the karmic force that's balancing this layer) is apparently controlled by Vuelo, and for some yet undisclosed reason, she was shut away from the surface. But the "horrifying origins" that she spoke of, the reason she and her people have become they are right now, we will find out soon enough. Although I can imagine it would have something to do with the brutal nature of the layer's "visceral economics". An eye for an eye? Quite literally.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:47 am Reply with quote
I was not happy to see the return of Mitty. I'm still emotionally damaged from her story in the first season and even though she is just a fictional character, I'd love her to finally have some peace. But beyond that, from a strictly story-telling perspective, it's like we've been there and done that. I'm not sure I see the point in resurrecting an element that had an extremely powerful resolution the first time around. Oh well. Still hopelessly in love with this show.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:39 pm Reply with quote
6:

Not sure what the purpose of the Jellyfish Festival means, but it was mentioned that it takes place in hopes of raising the value of the village. In terms of the plot, by helping to destroying the Jellyfish ("Oogasumi"? Nah, I'll call it Jellyfish), Riko has essentially raised her own value (remember, that's how the value system works here). How is that gonna help? We'll find out later in the show.

Glad to see how Prushka was able to help one way or another. With her name being mentioned time and time again, I knew she has to be helpful in the storyline one way or another.
gsilver

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:09 am Reply with quote
I know that the story is way past this point by now, but I was listening to a podcast where they were talking about horror tropes (in Resident Evil, so not even MiA related) but I think I now understand the scene where Maa hurt Meinya.

The were going for a very specific kind of horror: The horror of a creature that acts innocently and without malice, but is simply unaware of the damage that it is causing. Nothing we see from Maa after that suggests that they had any malicious intent, but just that when they were handling Meinya before injuring it, they were curious and didn't realize that they were hurting it before it happened.

Part of what made it terrifying (especially once the "balancing" started) but also probably why Riko readily forgave Maa.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Still hate Riko's short hair. >8(

Episode 07

....oh God....Vueko....Irumyuui....it hurts. I'm crying. Anime cry whyyyyyyyyy

The ED 'Endless Embrace' is definitely from Vueko's POV to Irumyuui...at least I think so. I used to think it was from Nanachi to Mitty but nope; it's absolutely the former because the 'warm darkness' line states it boldly. Unmistakable. It's a beautiful and tragic song, written just for this pseudo mother and daughter.

They did cut a small scene....unless they show it later. Irumyuui accidentally walks in on spoiler[Vueko um "embracing" another naked woman...which either implies Vueko is bisexual or perhaps she will ONLY sleep with other women due to trauma from that nasty guy in her past.] Neither of them have that much of a reaction, although Vueko looks pretty embarrassed...of course who wouldn't be? Anime hyper

@gsilver

Oh? That's interesting....so this type of horror shows up in other media? I guess I'm still rather naive on the genre.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8