• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Komi Can't Communicate

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NefCanuck

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Even though I didn't initially recognize her voice, the moment that Komi's mom made the eternally 17 years old joke, I knew that she was being played by Kikuko Inoue![/list][/list]

Funny thing I was I recognized Kikuko Inoue as soon as she started talking and I just could stop laughing thinking so this is what Belldandy sounds like once she gets married Very Happy

NefCanuck
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:16 pm Reply with quote
earl.m wrote:
Or that of the token buxom character, who in an earlier era would have been a gyaru with a plunging cleavage line and too short skirt.

Uhm.... about that...spoiler[Manbagi exists.]
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:43 am Reply with quote
I'm up to volume 6 of the manga and there were numerous parts where I lost it laughing. I'm hoping they get to this volume of the manga just for that spoiler[school festival, (the maid cafe)] it was LOL Laughing This episode had me laughing throughout and I still can't get over how well it's animated, just wonderful!
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:35 am Reply with quote
That Komi fashion show was great.

I'm glad to see they adapted the hairstylist visit.

I love how Komi is anxious about her interactions with everyone except for Tadano.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:53 pm Reply with quote
While I do not regret the time I have spent watching Komi Can't Communicate, not sure why there was so much anticipation - does it get better or is the manga better than the anime?

So far there has been nothing to really make me care about the characters enough to miss them when the show ends.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:
While I do not regret the time I have spent watching Komi Can't Communicate, not sure why there was so much anticipation - does it get better or is the manga better than the anime?

So far there has been nothing to really make me care about the characters enough to miss them when the show ends.

Komi is like Yotsuba, it uses Manga particularities to improve comedic timing and overall
experience, for example, in anime you need to hold scenes of Komi holding her book for the viewer to have enough time to read, in the manga it's a sole koma and that's it.

Another thing is that the manga tent to have a LOT of characters on camera at the same time doing something, even on the background, while we only read what 2-3 are doing.

Then, the next chapter will be about what the other characters were doing in the same scene.

This leads to a smother experience and a an incentive to always be on the lookout for what is going on in the background and makes you feel the the whole classroom it's alive.

Having so many characters in anime it's both too distracting and too expensive.

There is no perfect way to make a Komi adaptation as there is no way to make a Yotsuba adaptation, that's why we don't have a Yotsuba anime.

So yeah, the manga it's better.
earl.m

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:36 pm Reply with quote
We have seen from plenty of past anime on the stigma associated with seeking mental health help in Japan is dealt with. Even the likes of Naruto - a shonen battle series - made a point of having Sakura create a mental health arena that literally did not exist otherwise prior and yes a number of shows have attempted to address it comedically (most notably Kotoura-san, though that show had darker elements than this work) as well as dramatically (Anthem of the Heart). Even this show - while clearly acknowledging that Komi has a condition (the show doesn't merely call her "shy") - advocates personal solutions (being more courageous), social ones (a "leave no one behind" mentality combined with kindness and empathy) and ultimately romantic ones (see Komi's dad and her mother) as opposed to therapy.

As for Najimi ... as stated at least a couple of times earlier there is no mystery. When a thug professed romantic interest in Najimi, Najimi attempted to dissuade him by identifying as male. In this bathroom incident it was Tadano - who in a move that was very out of character for him - that prevented Najimi from going into the girls bathroom. The reason ... Tadano has attended school with Najimi in the past, meaning that they have been in school bathrooms, locker rooms, physical education ... he has seen Tadano's equipment and knows that he is biologically male. And while Najimi does seek out the gender neutral bathroom, regardless of what his motivation is, again you can't ignore his telling a male romantic suitor "you know that I am a guy, right?" Which is entirely different from professing to have no desire for the specific guy that was propositioning him, or professing a lack of said interest in males generally. He had the opportunity to say both/either: "I don't like guys" and/or "I don't like you" but instead he specifically stated "I am male." He didn't even say "You would probably consider me to be male."

So, Najimi is a cross-dressing troll. And the first person that he trolled was Tadano by mockingly suggesting that Tadano wanted to hook up with him. There is literally no evidence, narrative or otherwise, to suggest anything different.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Borderline inappropriate troll, no doubt about it.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Pool episode! Everyone looked great in their swimsuits. I wish Netflix had translated the names of Yamai's posse.

That was an adorable sequence between Komi and her dad.

Tadano just can't help but stumble onto precious Komi moments.
Picky33

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:39 am Reply with quote
I felt like we are missing a chapter there's no way Komi getting a 2 piece would not have been an episode/chapter on its own.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:52 pm Reply with quote
It was nice to see more of Komi's family and how they are alike/not like her. Her mom talking the whole time they're driving and then the grandma asking about the boy in her life was hilarious.

Komi in a yukata! And somehow winning a PS5! I like Tadano wearing a yukata too.

Tadano's sister!
charliepanayi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I did laugh a lot at the grave going '?!'
earl.m

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:03 am Reply with quote
Wow, this pace is slow. It took until episode 8 before they FINALLY introduced Komi's little brother and gave Tadano's little sister more than fleeting acknowledgement. If this gets a 3 cour treatment where each cour is a year of high school - similar to Kaguya Sama I guess ... I know Oregairu got 3 cours but I believe it only covered their junior and senior years - then great. Otherwise they are spending a ton of time without much going on and are waiting far too long to introduce some very interesting characters. It already looks like some compelling characters like Agari and Nakanaka are getting wasted, though we MAY get to see more of them in the final arc (which will be 4 episodes, not 2).

Also, Komi's younger brother spoiler[didn't inherit the father's anxiety disorder. He merely emulates Komi's father - role models are going to be precisely that - and as a result only wants to talk when necessary AND has the somewhat common "aloof male teenager" thing going on too.] Again, hopefully we will actually see this depicted next season. Finally, the way that Najimi was treated by Tadano's little sister in this episode confirms it: Najimi isn't nonbinary. Najimi is a male cross-dressing troll.

With that said:

Najimi was absolutely the hero of the episode (parts 2 and 3 where he appeared anyway). In contrast to Tadano's passiveness (i.e. in episode 7 Tadano saw Komi at the library and park but chose not to interact with her ... I understand and actually agree with his decision but still) he made sure that Komi and Tadano attended the festival AND "helped" them have alone time with each other. He also arranged for Komi to visit Tadano's house. And the absolute best part: he foiled Yamai's most revolting attempt at sexually harassing Komi yet. (It is debatable whether the totally out of her mind Yamai actually comprehended quite how bad her behavior was, but it ultimately doesn't matter.) This actually set the stage for passive Tadano to prevent a similar attempt by Yamai later that evening.

I have spent most of the series dreading Najimi and wanting him to get as little airtime as possible - while fully acknowledging that his involvement was absolutely necessary initially thanks to Tadano's complete inadequacy. But episode 8 made such a problematic character useful and on some levels even likable. Quite an achievement.
Picky33

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:43 pm Reply with quote
They kinda of introduce a new character but they don't.

I like how new girl talks about skirt length and they immediately cut to Najimi whoose skirt is way shorter then any of the girls in the class. Hopefully we get to know new girl soon.

I was also a fan of the Nakanaka chapter. never thought she'd get something as relatable as that.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:34 am Reply with quote
Inaka! The country girl who just wants to come off like a city gal! And she can barely wear her skirt above the knees.

I love when Najimi gives Komi a hopelessly convoluted order and Komi tries in vain to get it. And that scene at the Starbucks with Inaka being so impressed was hilarious.

Nakanaka managed to invite Komi to her house! And it works! She also has a pretty sweet gamer setup and anime posters, and while Komi's not a gamer, she still thinks it's pretty neat.

A Smash Bros. parody with two muscly guys in school swimsuits is...something. Meanwhile Najimi and Nakanaka are dueling while Tadano is just trying to teach Komi how to play and making sure she doesn't die.

I guess I'm not surprised that Najimi would saddle Komi with her own job, but after a rocky start Komi managed to navigate it well...and Yamai turns up out of nowhere to help form a line, and Tadano was, of course, there the whole time.

That woman really needed some tissues.

Komi's worst nightmare .not being able to communicate something to someone and thinking she'll be a screw-up if she can't, and then seemingly everyone has something on their face.

Ah, Komi wants Tadano to call her by her first name! No surprise it's hard for them both to jump to the first name basis this early in their relationship, but the interest is there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7