• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Sailor Moon Crystal

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fallenmessiahx

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:58 am Reply with quote
Well so far we are on a excellent start. I will not get too excited, because it can easily go to hell really quickly. I don't think it will since it would take actual effort to make this season worse than the first two.

I have been re-watching the first two seasons dubbed on Hulu. I am not a fan of dubs but that version is the fixed bluray version. I admit the changes for the first hand full of episodes were a vast improvement but sadly as the series move on the "fixes" get less frequent and are not done very well.

The first season is decent for most of the episodes until all the senshi are introduced and it all goes down hill after that. The 2nd season is a bit better but sadly never redeems the first season.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:22 am Reply with quote
They had a lot of time between the last installment to dazzle us with at least one good episode. I jsut hope they can eep up the pace, and that Toei is realizing it can't just shovel crap at the Otaku market and expect it to stick. We have other shows for that!
Dejivice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Now this is the Sailor Moon Crystal I hoped for. I really enjoyed watching this first episode.

I'm linking the art and animation too. The big black eyelashes seamed exaggerated but it actually looks nice. Rei's "sharp" eyes looked a bit off sometimes, but that is not a problem for me at all.

If it maintains this level of art and animation, it will be a perfect weekly addiction.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:35 pm Reply with quote
They still have a problem drawing profiles, proportion issues (especially with ChibuUsa and her big head), and other things were off, but this was definitely an improvement from the last seasons. I won't get my hopes up too high though. The first episode of Crystal was decent too and then we all know how it turns out after that, but I'll give it a chance.

Also Usagi's voice isn't as annoying as before thank God.

And am I the only one who thought "is a girl really playing Haruka?" Anime hyper Such a low voice for a girl!
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:21 pm Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:

And am I the only one who thought "is a girl really playing Haruka?" Anime hyper Such a low voice for a girl!

I'm pretty sure there's a preview video floating around where Haruka's VA is speaking in her normal voice; she sounds nothing like Haruka! Lady's got some serious range! o.O

All in all, I was very pleased with the overall improvements. The "transforming in the middle of a downtown crowd" bit threw me off as well, but I can let it slide. So happy the new transformations are no longer 3D, even if the Precure-esque noodle limbs are a little weird. I'm not totally sold on New Moon (at least the version sung by Chibi-Usa; who knows if the other versions are more bombastic), and I felt like this episode had a tendency to swing it's camera around a little bit too much during the Senshi's end poses. But other than that, I'll be tuning in with fingers crossed. Looks like a promising start!
Lt_Ripley

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I cannot believe I am the only one that can see the different quality between Moon's henshin and the others', that are really poorer.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Still seeing some animation issues, mainly with profile views and Mamo-chan. The new art direction has not been kind to his face where he was super cute when correctly drawn in the old art style.

Well, it's better than last season at least.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:10 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
I still think the transformations are meh (OMG...SM's legs and arms mid transformation), but it's an improvement. I did like the animated 'Coconut Cyclone' attack, but thought Venus's 'Chain Wink Sword' was pretty pathetic due to the um...beads. I also thought the new inner transformation wands were not as good as the original series because they looked too clunky. They got rid of the crown portion of the star wand.

Yeah, I noticed an issue with Usagi's legs in her transformation too, but IMO it went fast and I'm not bothered too much by it. I thought Mercury's pose looked a bit worse than her 90's anime one (looks more like she's trying to adjust her back there), but they were both good. I dunno what's with the thought of saying she's gotta pee in her ending pose though, she looks more like that in this gif: http://45.media.tumblr.com/b780be3a379e13d871365dada2ed621b/tumblr_mu1zdc3w3U1qd4q8ao1_500.gif

At least with the transformations (I do love those) they have the symbol spinning, but I thought we'd see some unique wands for the Inners' Planet Powers like this video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYUvx3Uy9Z0&nohtml5=False

Oh well.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:14 pm Reply with quote
the focusing in lesbianism is as expected of chiaki kon, as she likes to cash on the controvertial partsof the anime she directs,so to speak; which is better than teh alternative of making things too bland, I guess. quality wise, she's quite good at managin budgets, particularly low ones, so instead of having one disasterous episode, she'll spread the disaster over 3 or more episodes which again is better than the alternative.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:34 pm Reply with quote
@Lt_Ripley

Poor quality? I thought the transformations in this episode looked fine...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 53 of 53