• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Adds Queen's Blade, Ikkitousen Great Guardians

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:53 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Oh my...considering how...mature Queen's blade is, I'm surprised it got licensed at all.

It's because of the content, I expected it to be licensed sooner or later, and this is right up at Media Blasters' alley! Surprised

I kinda predicted that they would get the license for queens blade and the ikkitousen sequels.

So to be frank, Wasn't susprise at all about the news.

HOWEVER I'M EXTREMELY SHOCKED AND THRILLED that both series are getting english dub versions cause for quite a while media blasters have been a co dubbers like myself fear cause they license a lot of good series like dokuro chan and many other releases from MB are sub only (excluding Seriei no Moribito)

this is great news indeed for myself and all the ecchi/fanservice otaku junkies out there.

I'm definately gonna add this to my already heavy collection of fanservice series,

HOWEVER what i really hope for is that Kodomo no Jikan (Both anime and Manga) comes to the US. IF that series comes to the US i'll definately buy it,cause if Strike Witches can be licensed,so can kodomo no jikan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:12 am Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
I wondered about that myself, because of the dub. But I assume they have access to actual sales numbers for the first season of IT, which itself got multiple releases. That would indicate that the title was profitable. Also, interest remains high in the U.S. for the franchise. Newer, better DVD-sub versions are still coming out for Guardians, and several generations of DD came out. I imagine that anyone who liked and bought the first season will buy the remaining ones as well.

Indeed, which is why I'm not particularly against seeing it licensed. In fact, I could sort of see how these shows might be very reliable sellers with the hardcore otaku crowd just like they are in Japan (but obviously to a lesser extent because that group is much smaller here). It's the dub that really seems questionable. I've seen the numbers posted by Justin and other reputable sources. A dub has to massively increase sales to be viable. I really have to question whether the people who wouldn't have bought this because it lacked a dub in the case of a really niche, otaku oriented show like this justify it. Also, it's definitely important to remember how things have changed in the anime market since back when the first series was released. Series and especially dubs that worked back then may not work now.

animeboy12 wrote:
Not that I'm trying to make this personally but I don't think any of us are in a position to decide whether or not their decision is bad on the basis of good business practice.

Well, that depends on the situation. I do agree that often people get angry over stuff they have no way of knowing about. I don't think that means we can't have one in this case though.

Quote:
Not really sure what you mean by "fans of other better shows" unless of course your using your opinion as a standard and think company should dub anime you want them to.

Yup. Pretty much. The interesting thing about my opinions is that they're what I think. For example: I think Ikki Tousen is absolute garbage. Therefore, I think it's a shame to see such garbage get dubbed while something I think is excellent like Ghost Hound (or for that matter, even something else that's mediocre) does not. This does not relate to the business side of things however. In that regard, I don't really think any of these shows ought to be dubbed.

Quote:
Also while sexual content is the main attraction and recurring theme in both of these anime series, labeling as such is baseless. Take it from someone who's actually watched...

I've actually seen Ikki Tousen as well and I adamantly disagree. It's actually sort of irrelevant as well. When it comes to potential sales generated by a dub, it will largely depend in surface appearance and immediate impressions.

Psycho 101 wrote:
Do something constructive other then bitching mindlessly about how every company doesn't just do everything the way you think they should and that they should all burn because they don't. That just shows your own stupidity and ignorance.

I'm not sure if this was directed at me or just people in general. However in either case, this name calling is totally unnecessary and inappropriate.
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:28 am Reply with quote
I can't believe people are complaining about the fact that MB have licensed both shows...

Look at it this way, what's the odds a lot of you would have still complained if it had been Funi who had licensed QB and IT:GG instead.

It's a crying shame that QB isn't going to be a BR release but I'll still be buying it as well as GG when they come out next year.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:32 am Reply with quote
People we all know what brings Queen's Blade and Ikki Tousen to our shores above and beyond any other title that you might think is more deserving than those (I'm not going to talk about the dubbing because I've never cared about it), this classic marketing adage, let me spell it out for you...

S E X
S E L L S

pure and simple.. heck, I wish R1 would get more classic Mecha anime, but I'll take these over any moe blob and slice of life title anytime!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Key

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:25 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
In fact, I could sort of see how these shows might be very reliable sellers with the hardcore otaku crowd just like they are in Japan (but obviously to a lesser extent because that group is much smaller here). It's the dub that really seems questionable. I've seen the numbers posted by Justin and other reputable sources. A dub has to massively increase sales to be viable. I really have to question whether the people who wouldn't have bought this because it lacked a dub in the case of a really niche, otaku oriented show like this justify it.

Except that QB and IT aren't "niche, otaku-oriented" shows. Because of all the nudity and sexy character renditions, they have far greater draw potential beyond diehard otaku crowds than fare like, say, any adaptation of a Key/Visual Art's production. That's a critical thing to appreciate here or this decision would, admittedly, make no sense.

And I don't see why dubs for this are so questionable. After all, most hentai titles officially released in North America still get dubbed, probably because viewers don't want to have their sex and nudity distracted from by having to read subtitles. (Personally, hentai is the one genre I specifically prefer subbed because the dubs are usually so bad, but that's beside the point.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:49 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Except that QB and IT aren't "niche, otaku-oriented" shows. Because of all the nudity and sexy character renditions, they have far greater draw potential beyond diehard otaku crowds than fare like, say, any adaptation of a Key/Visual Art's production. That's a critical thing to appreciate here or this decision would, admittedly, make no sense.

In either case though, isn't that potential practically zero? In the market that would be turned off by the lack of a dub? Sorry, the phrase "I like to watch Japanese cartoons about high school girls with clothes made of tissue paper who fight each other because they're all reincarnations of characters from the three kingdoms era (the show will tell you all about this at length) but I WILL NOT READ [expletive] SUBTITLES!!!" seems like it wouldn't be that commonly heard. It seems like people are expecting this to be big on the basis that sex sells but really, is this still true with something animated and exaggerated to the point these shows take it?

Quote:
And I don't see why dubs for this are so questionable. After all, most hentai titles officially released in North America still get dubbed, probably because viewers don't want to have their sex and nudity distracted from by having to read subtitles. (Personally, hentai is the one genre I specifically prefer subbed because the dubs are usually so bad, but that's beside the point.)

I think that's precisely the point actually. Sure hentai is dubbed. However, it's always an awful, budget job. If they're going to just slap a hentai quality dub on this then I concede it it's as terrible an idea.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:02 am Reply with quote
Yes, hentai dubs are awful but most viewers don't care. They're too busy noticing other things, if you know what I mean. Wink So yeah, I can see people buying this though I don't know how big the hentai market is in the US but it's more likely to sell then something like Lucky Star. As far as watching hentai, I usually watch it dubbed first to get the idea of the story, then the next time I watch it subbed. And I'm usually very much pro-dub.
pparker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:05 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
...In either case though, isn't that potential practically zero? In the market that would be turned off by the lack of a dub?

I just think you are overestimating the tastes of the market, me being a member of it Wink. Yes, I do own and like lots of what you would consider quality shows, but I also own IT.

You consider it nothing more than a dumb ecchi T&A show, but I personally enjoyed the comedy and the action overall along with the ecchi, especially the first two seasons. Panties and nudity alone aren't sufficiently entertaining to me, but they don't hurt either. IT will come up far more often for re-watch than a lot of other more mediocre but "clean" titles when I just want to be non-analytically entertained (e.g., Stellvia, Moonphase, Utawarewhatever). That's just my tastes. And again, based on gauging the market from continued online interest, I have a lot of comrades out there.

The first season sold enough to warrant investing in the second and third (vs. Shana, Higurashi and other better Geneon rescues, apparently). The first season was dubbed, dubs sell more copies, and since the subsequent seasons were as good or nearly as the first, it's likely they will also sell well. Assuming the market has driven down license fees (Funi passed on these), and they save money on production, and that nearly everyone who bought the first season will buy the others, then sounds like a winner to me.

QB? Rinse and repeat.
Brass2TheMax

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:26 pm Reply with quote
If more anime fans spoke with their wallets and bought less of shows like QB, maybe the industry would try a new tactic and start releasing more quality material. I do somewhat blame the industry, but I also lay a lot of the blame of the failing of the industry on the fans.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Brass2TheMax wrote:
If more anime fans spoke with their wallets and bought less of shows like QB, maybe the industry would try a new tactic and start releasing more quality material. I do somewhat blame the industry, but I also lay a lot of the blame of the failing of the industry on the fans.

So it is wrong for a company to release shows that may not be of high quality? A show may not be great but that doesn't mean it will bomb as far selling goes. The same can be said about high quality shows. Even if a series is not that great there will be people who still buy it and enjoy it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
animeboy12

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Brass2TheMax wrote:

So basically you blame the fans for spending their own money on things they want. Rolling Eyes
DPX

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:34 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
...In either case though, isn't that potential practically zero? In the market that would be turned off by the lack of a dub?

I just think you are overestimating the tastes of the market, me being a member of it Wink. Yes, I do own and like lots of what you would consider quality shows, but I also own IT.

You consider it nothing more than a dumb ecchi T&A show, but I personally enjoyed the comedy and the action overall along with the ecchi, especially the first two seasons. Panties and nudity alone aren't sufficiently entertaining to me, but they don't hurt either. IT will come up far more often for re-watch than a lot of other more mediocre but "clean" titles when I just want to be non-analytically entertained (e.g., Stellvia, Moonphase, Utawarewhatever). That's just my tastes. And again, based on gauging the market from continued online interest, I have a lot of comrades out there.

The first season sold enough to warrant investing in the second and third (vs. Shana, Higurashi and other better Geneon rescues, apparently). The first season was dubbed, dubs sell more copies, and since the subsequent seasons were as good or nearly as the first, it's likely they will also sell well. Assuming the market has driven down license fees (Funi passed on these), and they save money on production, and that nearly everyone who bought the first season will buy the others, then sounds like a winner to me.

QB? Rinse and repeat.

Those seasons can't be released yet due to the Geneon Japan merger,IIRC.
pparker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:56 pm Reply with quote
DPX wrote:
Those seasons can't be released yet due to the Geneon Japan merger,IIRC.

Never heard that reason before. What is that? Links? Info? Definitely interested.
dizzon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And I don't see why dubs for this are so questionable. After all, most hentai titles officially released in North America still get dubbed, probably because viewers don't want to have their sex and nudity distracted from by having to read subtitles.

I would imagine Queen's Blade has some "low angle shots" if ya know what I mean Shocked , who want's subs blocking the view Wink .
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I may give Queen's Blade another go as long as the dub isn't horrible. I enjoy my fair share of hardcore ecchi like Kanokan, but QB felt like too much to me. But, this will definitely be one of those rare occasions where I download the first handful of episodes before diving into the unknown (I blind buy almost exclusively now).

I'm surprised none of you have thought of this: What is that artbox gonna look like? Woowee!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10