• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Comics and Digital Piracy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:53 am Reply with quote
ZakuAce wrote:

That doesn't make any sense at all.

*Sigh* Guess nobody wants my money and be a good little consumerist to help stimulate the economy......
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:31 am Reply with quote
If you where willing to spend money you would have spent it already.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:51 am Reply with quote
All right, Sunday Silence, ZakuAce and Charred Knight, I think we've had enough of your pointless back-and-forth one-liners. You all stop doing that, right now.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:28 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

I still fail to see why we have to purchase an entire series to decide whether or not we like it. What if we don't?

You miss the point of that argument.
4 yrs or so back, the argument was some people could reasonably see posting no more than 5 eps so that the viewer could get the taste of the series to decide if the investment was worth it (back when series were still $100 & more). The reply was almost always "XXX ended badly so I would have hated spending money on it" Sort of the same argument that the 5 course meal one had was exquisite until the desert so one shouldn't have to pay for it or a movie didn't end the way you wanted so you should get your money back having consumed/watched the entire film.

PetrifiedJello wrote:

I don't believe the argument is wrong because the statement is combining two completely different economic factors. Refusing to buy DVDs has nothing to do with wanting to consume animation. Unfortunately, this fact is lost on many.

My clients don't believe it's wrong to do drugs. We put them in jail anyway.
You are right. WANTING to consume animation has nothing to do with BUYING animation. The issiue comes with resorting to illegal methods to consume it. I may WANT a Big Mac, but if I do not pay for it & consume it anyway, I'll be guilty of a crime the restaurant can call the cops for.

PetrifiedJello wrote:
Really think if all the piracy sites were shut down tomorrow the anime industry will be better off?

What did that have to do with my comment?
Your reply is the equivelent of "Everyone else is looting, I'm going to get in there & get mine because it's already happening."

PetrifiedJello wrote:
If anyone thought the answer "yes", then it's quite clear the global recession hasn't taught its lesson. The anime industry is using the exact same model to support itself and has already crashed once because of it.

How many times has the Stock Market crashed & people are still flocking to it.
THe anime bubble was like the Beanie Baby bubble & the Comic Book Bubbles (how many have there been?)
Basically anime was "hot" & people who didn't understand it jumped in to get a piece of the pie, but the kids consuming that bubble matured & grew out of it as people do. I can't tell you how many of my then high school aged daughter's friends but down their old anime-inspired drawing styles when they slaved to learn to draw in that style because they "matured" out of anime.
It has squat to do with the global recession beyond those of us who do love anime have less money to spend on it so we're passing on secondary titles we might have bought 4 yrs ago.

On the other hand, I cannot tell you how many people I knew around that time who also talked about getting better computers so they could download free fansubs, burn them to dvd & save all that money they'd been blowing on anime. The person I knew who had more than I did back when I was around 1000 anime dvds offered to sell me his collection because he was going that route but he also wanted what I could buy the titles on sale for them so I passed.

PetrifiedJello wrote:

I'd hate to think of the world if consumers didn't force the rules on businesses.

PetrifiedJello wrote:

Doesn't this fit exactly what's going on now?

No.
I set out how the accepted practice is.
One does not say "That's too much to pay for gas" dig a pipeline into the system & funnel the gas to oneself & one's friends for free.
One does without. When the seller has a warehouse full of product, he will re-think his business method. You cannot remove the product from that warehouse rather than wait for him to make his move in response to yours.

PetrifiedJello wrote:
I put an emphasis in bold on the biggest factor in running any business. Why didn't you say "consumer has to spend"? After all, isn't this the same thing?
We have to buy a box set in order to watch anime.
We have to buy books in order to read manga.
We have to buy CDs to listen to music.

We have no choice in this market.b]

This is the point that is being lost on you.
You don't HAVE to buy anime.
If you WANT anime, you should pay what the owner of the anime wants & if you are not willing to do so, you are not entitlesd to view the anime unless the anime owner offers it in some method as theya re now streaming which would have happened eventually. The world evolves, but what has been going on with fansubs has been wrong.
You do not HAVE to see anime. If you are not willing to pay for the service you do not get it be it the electric bill, the phone bill, the rent, whatever.
I want a roof over my head, but if I don't pay rent, I'm evicted. I might get a few months free rent out of the deal, but I'm also eventually going to get tagged so that future landlords will not rent to me.
The only reason you have been able to view anime for free is because someone else has broken the law-looted the anime & is sharing that stolen item with you.
Fansubs are in their own way a bubble.

The opposite is happening as we speak.
I want my manga in print form. Publishers are increasingly finding it cheaper to go the ebook route so I, VERY MUCH against my will, shall have to but manga as ebooks or do without.
Evolve or go extinct. However it is the owner of the item presenting the item in the format he wishes to provide it in.

PetrifiedJello wrote:
This is an excuse to justify people buy in today's market and it's a strawman argument.

You don't believe you should have to buy anime as a box set even though the cost of most of those box sets of 13 eps is now what we were paying for 4 eps 4 yrs ago.
That anime is no longer more expensive than crack is a strawman argument?

PetrifiedJello wrote:
Back in "the day", anime wasn't popular at all. In fact, it took the work of copyright infringement to bring anime into the US market.

I'm talking the height of the anime bubble when anime was at the height of its popularity before CPM went belly-up, but when it was in Suncoast & Target & Walmart.
Do not even go the illegal act route. You have no concept of what was going on. As someone who belonged to a science fiction club in the 1970's where we used "telosian transmissions" (illegally videotaped copes) of Star Trek for fellow fans in the club could see episodes they had maybe never seen, we all were dying for the day when we COULD buy Star Trek on video. My friends were dying for the chance to be able to buy so many classic cult tv shows and once that dream became a reality, we did. We shared information like missionaries trying to spread the good word of a favorite show, to garner more fans so that it WOULD be licensed for home video.
We were not selling ads to make money off it. If we dreamed it was harming our title, we would destroy our copies. At the least we would stop showing them in club
That's the dif between then & now.

PetrifiedJello wrote:
Yet now that fansubs are doing the infringing, it's wrong?
*pulls out red card. Penalty! (bet you imagined Haruhi saying it, didn't you?)

Sorry. I may have 2500 anime dvds in my collection, but I have never, ever, ever EVER seen Haruhi nore have I any real desire to.

PetrifiedJello wrote:
Those prices you paid back then was because there was no market for anime in the US (high demand = high price). It wasn't until piracy grabbed more and more titles that a few businesses sat up and took notice at a potential new market. Thus, the industry was born.

So piracy helped SPREAD anime, but it's not in any way, shape, or form HARMING it.
And that makes sense in WHICH alternate reality?

Just so you know, I'm talking this anime cycle. Actually maybe on the late side. Look at my sign-on. CardCaptor Sakura. We are talking THIS decade. I was there when anime moved from a really, really small niche with CPM, ADV, MB, Bandai, Pioneer & Funi all already in existance to the bubble (sort of came in just after the Beanie Baby bubble burst as I recall) to now. I just attended my 9th Comic-con.

Do you know what made manga spread?
Tokyo Pop printing in the Japanese orientation.
We went from nothing to maybe 100 in a year or so & everyone started printing in that format.
Not piracy, dude.
The companies had an audience that was sucking it up, the FEMALE audience who survey after survey said did not buy comic books but instead bought make-up & clothes.
I sat in on manga panel after monga panel between 2004-2007 hearing guys stand up asking for male-oriented titles & Del Rey I believe actually responded the female demographic was highly desirable because it was not one they had to steal from other comic titles. (most of the other panels did the "we'll see" thing). The comic book industry had existed for years with Marvel & DC stealing fans from one another depending on the title being made interesting enough to the audience (maybe like the Japanese otaku audience) & teen girls represented fresh blood & fresh money.

PetrifiedJello wrote:
But there was a problem: too many businesses saw the opportunity and when licenses were used to finance new productions, the bubble burst was inevitable.

We can argue all day & actually the anime bubble burst for many of the same reasons the Beanie Baby bubble burst. Beanie Babies are still being sold & collected, but not in the mania that was going on.
TV stations looking for ratings added anime which mommies & daddies bought for their kids to watch. Those pre-teens grew into teens that liked anime, but as they grew older, they moved to other interests or just the 9-5 adult grind. The market saturated & imploded.
Stupid decisions were made.
CPM was in trouble for years. They were the mom & pop shop who went from being the only game in town really to not comprehending the new-fangled ways.
I seriously worried Funi, glued to DBZ as it was, would die when they finally released that last dvd of the title, but they managed to figure out a direction after stumbling (Blue Gender)
ADV is everyone's guess & we all have theories. I say they spread themselves too wide, trying to play big fish diving into manga, local theater presentations of anime, the anime network, etc. THeoretically they're still around in another form. I don't doubt if anime cycles back, they'll be huge once more.
MB-allegedly still around.
Viz-still around
TRSI-still around
Bandai-still around.
Geneon-too much the Japanese outlook. Bandai still possesses this & might actually fold if they cannot move into a more American business think although the popularity of Gundam is such they may struggle on giving us anime at the old prices (6 eps of Gundam 00 on 2 dvds for $25?)
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Take a look at those titles you own. Are those business who brought them to you still around? Chances are, they're not.

ADV-Sentai or whatever. I say still here in a mutated form after throwing their money around too much
Illumatoons-startup that never made it off the ground really. Lots of businesses die in the first 2 yrs I understand. Damn it, I want Bobobo!
CPM-dead.
Geneon-foreign corporation closed the US branch.
So we lost one.
Oh--Manga...I never really got a grasp on them. Most of their stuff is messed up. They're still around aren't they? DOn't know & don't really care. I'm pissed over how they treated me on Tactics, but if they put out something I want, I will buy it.
On the other hand, I used to see movies at drive-ins as a child. How many of those are left? We ate at A&W where the car hop brought the food to our car window on a tray. My husband loved dining at Sambo's. Circuit City-gone. Mervyns-gone. I worked at Montgomery Wards when they were going down.
Your point about businesses going out of business is?

PetrifiedJello wrote:
Piracy didn't cause the bubble burst then and it's not the reason the industry is hurting today. That distinction goes to businesses who fail to sell a product people are willing to buy.

I can not fathom why anyone has a problem with this but yet here we are.

My grandmother always said "If he can get the milk for free, he's not going to buy the cow"
I fail to see why an idea that is at least a century old escapes you.

PetrifiedJello wrote:

This is called "windowing" and it's a model which should be outlawed, in my opinion. It's price fixing. There is absolutely no reason why every single anime company releases its products at the same price its competitors do. Why is Sentai Filmworks selling its titles at the exact same price point FUNimation does despite not having a dub?
*pulls out red card. Penalty!

I'll take Excel Saga over FLCL & Haruhi together
At least it understands basic business operation. Il Palazzo even has an electronics business later in the book.
It seems to me Hollywood sets the same prices for dvds they sell. If I buy Kickass this week, I'll pay around $18 on sale for the dvd & around $27 for the BluRay. If I wait a couple months, I will likely get it for far less. I see Watchman is around $10 on Bluray this week at Best Buy. I don't doubt it's worse right now because Everyone is desperate to make a buck, but the idea of dropping price is old.
What are day-old bakeries for if not to sell a product for less just to get some value out of it rather than throw it out?
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
agila61 wrote:
Saying that is not a solution.

Whats your ideas then? Before I rip into yours, you bring your game to the table.

Since the topic of the thread is manga:

Expand the range of accessible licensed manga sourcing with crowdsourcing of translations on one or more crowdsource online publisher. In Erica Friedman's The Solution to the Scanlation Solution, I [url=http://okazu.blogspot.com/2010/06/solution-to-solution.html?showComment=1276310206743#c2770625851494411506[/url]
Quote:
So, there would be a tremendous benefit from aggregation of legit manga viewing. Given an agreement with even a few big online tentpole mangas from big publishers ... the aggregator could very well then provide its diversity via also viewing from one or more niche crowdsourced translation publishers.

Calling it "Legal Aggregator" or LA for short, "(Conventional) Publisher" or Pub for short, and "Crowdsource Online Publisher", or COP for short, the relationships are LA:Pub1, LA:Pub2, LA:Pub3, LA:COP1, LA:COP2.

Each LA:Pub# might involve its own independent negotiated page serving system, but ideally the LA:COP# relationship involves an open-standard content system, and the bells and whistles and app'ing and etc. to make the viewing experience as easy as possible for the novice viewer as possible is provided by the LA.

For the business model, there is a wide range of content that the Japanese publishers cannot afford to localize, international license holders cannot afford to localize, and crowdsourcing localization can. Publishers cannot "grab" that portion of the content without embracing crowdsourcing of localization ... and if they embrace crowdsourcing of localization, "we win!!! Woot!".

The thing about the viewer side is that the more, the merrier is the manga, not the sites. More manga at one site, more people coming to read the manga to chat with in the forums ... the viewer side "wants" to have a power law distribution: one to three big viewer sites.

On the online publishing side, it kind of "wants" to be fragmented. Circles of crowdsource translators and their supporting fans, focusing on a niche or genre or approach ... or language.

In order to allow both natural distributions to work, the COP's need to be set up with licensing that allows aggregation access with a fair share of aggregator revenues. That allows the aggregator sites to focus on ad based monetization, while the COP's focus on subscription model monetization. The subscription proceeds allow payment of the permission to attempt a translation, PAT, as well as group member view royalties, while the aggregator payments to the COP are passed on through to the creator or their assigned agent.

One side point, that has not been raised: each COP needs to have a ranking of how much royalties each of the hobbyist translating circles have raised for the mangaka that they are translating. Not the dollars, just so and so 5th, so and so 4th, so and so Bronze Medal, so and so Silver Medal, so and so Gold Medal. Pure bragging rights. "We made our mangaka's money, WE WIN! TEAM-GLIB WINS!!! Woot!"

... so I'll start there.
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to revive a thread, hope it's not a big problem, but I just thought I'd point out the fairly epic, 9-page full transcription of this panel Deb Aoki posted at About.com, which provides a fairly detailed overview of what went on at the panel

http://manga.about.com/b/2010/08/11/from-manga-scanlations-to-comics-on-the-ipad-online-piracy-panel-at-comic-con.htm
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7