• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 25:

Good episode, solid action, storytelling, and a bit of personal emotions. Quite frankly, the show makes it clear that it's about surviving together like a family while trying to establish their own place in the world for Mika's friends and allies. Ein's defeat was quite fitting as well.

I'm guessing McGillis might be the villain for the next season? Should be interesting. Glad to see that Azze, Lafter, etc survived.

Lol, Mika getting a slightly harem-ish ending.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:09 pm Reply with quote
That is nuts, Todo Mirconen, the wormy duplicatous adult from WAY back at the start, had been effectively well awarded for his traitorous nature while the overly noble Ein is slain as "the monster".

The solar system is still horrible, it just shifted hands in leadership.

Ironblooded orphans second season is just going to be the events getting worst for our war bound orphans.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Episode 25:

WOW that has to be one of the absolute worst endings I have ever seen in my life. Ein's awesomeness undone? HOW THE HELL DID THEY SURVIVE!? They should have been dead! We even saw this! And then Ein died because BARBATOS SOMEHOW LEARNED TELEPORTATION!? What a load! The writers put themselves into a corner and just went with whatever! The only good thing about this episode was the tragic defeat of Gaelio, we didn't even get to see how the politicians reacted to Kuedlia's speech!

>gritty war story back to its roots

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! NOT WITH THIS ENDING! Especially with the monster only losing partial eye sight and an arm (because no reason) instead of being terminated like the rat he was. I've never felt his angry at an ending in a very long time. What is worse is that future entries might actually take after it and oh dear lord how hard I am trying not to cringe at such an awful idea.

I am seriously questioning whether or not to call this worse than Valvrave! THAT BAD!
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, DuelGundam I totally fail to see how Ein is in, any way, a character worthy of praise or a hero in any sense of the word. Everything that Ein did went totally against what Crank, a man that Ein supposedly respected and admired, believed. Nor do I see how Mikazuki is somehow a horrible villain for fighting to protecting his friends and comrades.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Sorry, DuelGundam I totally fail to see how Ein is in, any way, a character worthy of praise or a hero in any sense of the word. Everything that Ein did went totally against what Crank, a man that Ein supposedly respected and admired, believed. Nor do I see how Mikazuki is somehow a horrible villain for fighting to protecting his friends and comrades.

Even within the context, once Kudelia and the gang got away from Ein to the parliament, the fate of Mikazuki was irrelevant to the plot, hell him dying would have simply made him a martyr and Ein would have just been a "mad dog on the loose" and the Gjallahorn forces would have been forced to put down someone that was there own ally (I doubt Ein was in a frame of mind to simply listen to orders).

The flip side of course is Mikazuki, he has NEVER been presented as a Paragon of righteousness, at best he is an amoral dog of war that will follow any of Orga's commands to kill as it is "simple", Mikazuki ignores the big pictures willfully as it would mean entertaining the concept about having empathy for those that he has killed and the many more he will kill in the future.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
I totally fail to see how Ein is in, any way, a character worthy of praise or a hero in any sense of the word.

He did what even Setsuna from 00 couldn't do: He ascended to mobile suit status. Think of it: No more constant eating, drinking, sleeping, breathing, waste evacuation, sickness, pain, or any of the sort, a new body that allows him to bypass what flesh and bone could never hope to do. To lay waste to the foes of order at the drop of a hat. To cleave sin through axes as hard as the law. The beast on the other hand?

>is okay with murdering defenseless people (eps 3 and 4)
>character wise he has nothing going for him whatsoever
>disrespect for anyone and anything
>general no regard for any life
>his champion machine is named after a demon

And if you think of it, piling on the random mace spears, clamps, and katanas Tekkadan gets from nowhere and FREAKING THIS, he is the embodiment of anarchy; cruel, vindictive, unforgiving, uncontrollable, and only spreads when not put down properly. Ein is order and valor, Mikazuki is chaos and apathy. I have no reason to treat the demon in human flesh like he is even remotely better. In fact most of the speculation for the second season is basically people wondering if the hominid rats carried a plague of anarchy and caused a bunch of disorder for all of humankind.
zero_shaoran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:43 am Reply with quote
Loved it because it's another gundam series but it' had became extremely hard for them to live up to it's heydays and really really need work on their closures on multiple series.

Not all of them should be "okay, let's all rush into a one final big battle with many casualty and somehow that ended the war in 1-2 episodes"
... Way too many anime and not just gundam series does it to wrap things up which wasted most of the efforts to build up an feasible exciting climax.

Overall Anime smile Still a Fan who'll continue to support/watch.
xifeng.hu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I feel that Tekkadan got off a bit too easily for taking on the Solar System's ruling force. Though I don't think that saying Mikazuki is evil is quite correct. From what we know the orphans never had the concepts of "good and evil" instilled in them and coupled with Mikazuki's lack of emotion make him seem worse than he actually may be. spoiler[Using the characters from Ajin as examples: He is much closer to Nagai (the protagonist) who is also devoid of emotion for the most part and completely lacks empathy, than he is to Satou (the antagonist) who revels in killing.] There are pretty much no "hero" characters in this series in my opinion. spoiler[McGillis may have a noble ambition to change the world for the better but he uses people for his own gain, Tekkadan only cares about themselves, Ein was somewhat noble but falls to an obsession for revenge. The only main character I consider "good" is Kudelia. Gaelio and Carta were much more neutral than most characters with both of them having a sense of honor but just ended up on the "bad guys" side.]

Overall I enjoyed this season but some things such as Tekkadan coming out of the whole thing with so little damage to the main cast seems off. I'm still just happy I was able to watch the entire season without giving up on trying to understand it like Reconguista in G.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Season 2 preview video dropped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVrkwa2D4PY

If the rumor of last week's Bandai panel at Anime Expo is to believed where they promised IBO would have more action and you couple it with this.... Laughing Never thought I'd see the day where the actiony mecha franchise's teaser trailer was mostly people talking with music in the background. Top that with how BD sales started to tank at volume 3 onward, that space colony arc controversy, and the second season curse fans THINK exists and, well, grab the popcorn! We're in for a crazy train. Cool
xifeng.hu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Just watched the first episode of Season 2 and it looks like spoiler[Tekkadan DID bring anarchy into the solar system due to weakening Gjallhorn].

I get a feeling that the new female Gjallhorn pilot is going to be a counter to Mikazuki. spoiler[She's weird and is associated with the top of the Gjallhorn hierarchy (she eats a butterfly...). ] Between her, Azee and Lafter this show has more strong female pilots than most Gundam series already.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm also on board for the second season.
The first episode introduced a LOT of new characters, apart from the seven stars council (are we supposed to remember them? My brain cannot handle that many) I think the show'll do fine introducing them. Kudelia's face looks more mature for some reason. It's not like that many time has passed, right? Only half a year at most? Or did I miss somethin'? They did have to travel all the way back to Mars of course.

Eating butterflies is the next new fad I see. Isn't that kinda bitter? Can't imagine it having a nice structure to chew on.

The first eppie did a fine job in its introduction. There was a tad bit too much telling instead of showing, though I suppose it would take too much time without explaining what happened. It felt a bit like an old computer taking its sweet time trying to restart, until it can finally shine in its true colors. It felt a bit distant this way.
The opening with the grave stone was a good touch.

The new characters are probably - hopefully - orphans again, which will be in line with the main theme of this show. The anarchy and widely spread abuse of orphans will sting Tekkadan at some point.
I hope the next episodes will get us the feels again - and that we have an awesome ballad like Orphan's no Namida again. I'm going to listen to it now.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Cookie and Cracker put up a strong front, but there is no doubt that losing there brother was been a huge toll on them as they are shattered at the prospect of losing Mikazuki who is serving as there replacement onii-chan.

Kudellia has been forced to mature significantly in a short time, and her new character design is certainly meant to match the change.

The "new meat" of Tekkedan will certainly be an intriguing POV, assuming any are left around for the audience to follow there perspective.

McGillis is of course going to be a significant player in what events are to come, and heaven knows who will be left standing once he reaps whatever personal vendettas he has left.
GarethXL

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Kudelia's face looks more mature for some reason. It's not like that many time has passed, right? Only half a year at most? Or did I miss somethin'?

if i'm not mistaken this is set 2 years after the end of season 1, think about it, there's no way a company can grow so big in half a year (both tekkadan and admos inc)

and got to say that this pilot is way way better then the first season where it was really convoluted. as for the too much talking, i don't find any problem with it since it's a very organic dialogue and it makes S2 more easily approachable for newcomers to just watch ep 26 in medias res since it pretty much gives us a synopsis on S1 and their situation after the events in S1.

not to mention it fleshes out the characters their goals and the growth that they have gone through during the time skip.

and praises to the director and DOP for giving us a great ep with the minimal amount of actual animation with a tv series size budget.

finally awesome op can't wait to see how the op actually starts and what type of ed we'll get. only complain is the ending of the op, is that for shadowing or something?? seriously wtf please don't become 00 and literally make mika a gundam.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:38 pm Reply with quote
New season, first episode, not bad.

There was quite a bit they tried to cram into the episode, but for me it didn't quite cross the line of too much info-dumping that it made it annoying. I like that things have gotten spoiler[chaotic] and all that has gone before could be considered a prelude to this next phase. It was interesting to see Kudelia's change in attitude. Perhaps less naiveté and a little more hardness?

A Mystery wrote:
Kudelia's face looks more mature for some reason. It's not like that many time has passed, right? Only half a year at most? Or did I miss somethin'? They did have to travel all the way back to Mars of course.

Her whole character design is more mature and I think its to reflect the experiences she's had and her changed outlook. For instance, she immediately suspects spoiler[that something is up and calls in Tekkadan] without hesitation. Previously she might have hemmed and hawed about it.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:43 am Reply with quote
I really like the theme song they used so far for the season. The one called..Rage of Dust. In addition, Aina does look a bit more mature now. Hope she can handle her responsibility well.

I'm glad to see everyone return. Too bad about Biscuit, I still miss him...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 13