• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Girlish Number

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:57 am Reply with quote
@BodaciousSpacePirate Perhaps spoiler tags are appropriate, considering that the episode hasn't even been officially streamed yet?

Edit: Fixed
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:02 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I could have sworn I hit the spoiler tag button. Anime dazed Fixed.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:21 pm Reply with quote
The show's fine but the review's gone off the rails.

Psychic pain... it's like real pain only you have to guess it affects people? Kuzu wasn't really washing his worries away at a hostess club, he honestly thought it was something of a relationship.

As for the show, I'm still holding my breath to see if Nanami is as genuine as she appears. Wait, the way I said that is kind of leading which way I'm thinking, huh? Or was I the only one who though "BS!" when she told the staff, the people she want to hire her for her big break, that she really liked their show?

Is Nanami really trying to make Millennium Princess's second season into Charlie Brown's Christmas tree? "I really like it but it just needs a little TLC so that everyone can see how good it is." Money and talent? Unnecessary baggage, gets in the way of the pure production of art.

Gullible is an understatement...
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Psychic pain... it's like real pain only you have to guess it affects people?

You've never heard of psychic pain before? Maybe I know too many people irl who have clinical depression, but I just sort of assumed it was a pretty common term nowadays.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
As for the show, I'm still holding my breath to see if Nanami is as genuine as she appears. Wait, the way I said that is kind of leading which way I'm thinking, huh? Or was I the only one who though "BS!" when she told the staff, the people she want to hire her for her big break, that she really liked their show?

Well, she's a huge fan of the source material at the very least. She was seen in the audience during the Kuusure event where they were supposed to show the first episode but only showed a quickly edited PV. I've seen firsthand fans of rather sub-par anime adaptations because they hold such affection to the source material, so it's not hard to think that she's genuine.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:09 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

Is Nanami really trying to make Millennium Princess's second season into Charlie Brown's Christmas tree? "I really like it but it just needs a little TLC so that everyone can see how good it is." Money and talent? Unnecessary baggage, gets in the way of the pure production of art.

Gullible is an understatement...

I think it's more to say that just because you have a shitty job doesn't mean it's ok to do a shitty job. I don't think Kusure's second season will be all that good a show even with additional effort but it sure as hell will be better than the first season. That is a low bar of course. Money and talent are important, certainly, but actually giving a shit and putting the effort in is always necessary to make a great show. Even if they aren't successful, they ought to make their contribution something they can be proud of. That's how we want the industry to be, so who cares that it is a little naive?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:43 am Reply with quote
This episode's scene shifts and animation in general felt really stiff and sudden, for some reason. Girlish Number's never exactly been a sakuga paradise, but this week was really bad - except I don't see anyone else commenting on it, so was that just me? Maybe I shouldn't have watched it right after Flip Flappers.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:13 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
This episode's scene shifts and animation in general felt really stiff and sudden, for some reason. Girlish Number's never exactly been a sakuga paradise, but this week was really bad - except I don't see anyone else commenting on it, so was that just me? Maybe I shouldn't have watched it right after Flip Flappers.

nah, for me it was more that, bcause of the type of series it did not matter too much.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:48 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:

I certainly noticed while watching. They saved all their effort for the scene in the cabaret club and skimped elsewhere. Understandable decision.

I was also highly amused by the cabaret girl who "likes anime" and then had phone backgrounds of the two anime she had enjoyed recently, Monsters University and Frozen. Kuzu's reaction to that was great.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:59 pm Reply with quote
It'll be interesting to see where the show goes from here, the "real" ending would be Chitose quitting, the job isn't for her, she's getting old and she already messed up her debut and there's literally thousand's of girl like Nanami clamouring for her place. But I doubt they'd have that kind of downer ending so Chitose will probably work hard and get back into the spotlight somehow.

I'm not really into the voice/actress pop star scene so I'm not quite sure how it works, but I could buy if she re-invented herself as the "give no shit" VA who "tell it how it is" (ie doesn't act like a cute princess in public, actually talk about the ugly side of the business) there might be a niche for that irl and that would suit the theme of the show. But more realistically I'm guessing S2 will be some huge success or something (somehow) and Chitose will get famous from that.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I kind of don't care what happens to her. And it's not because I don't like or care about her as a character, it's simply a function of her own attitude. She has never seemed really all that interested in being a seiyuu, so if it doesn't work out for her, it doesn't seem like a big tragedy. On the other hand, if she suddenly becomes a big success, it's also kind of a "who cares" situation because she herself doesn't seem particularly invested in the field. I get the impression she ended up there because her brother is a manager and she literally couldn't think of anything else to do.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:47 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I'm not really into the voice/actress pop star scene so I'm not quite sure how it works, but I could buy if she re-invented herself as the "give no shit" VA who "tell it how it is" (ie doesn't act like a cute princess in public, actually talk about the ugly side of the business) there might be a niche for that irl and that would suit the theme of the show.
I'm not aware of any Japanese VAs who totally fit this profile and still get work - Japanese workplaces in general tend to prioritize social harmony (at least on the surface level), and, let's face it, no VA is that irreplaceable. However, some VAs do have well-received less-than-squeaky-clean public personas. Masumi Asano, the original author of Seiyuu's Life, not only goes into some detail about the more stressful and unsatisfying parts of her work, but also makes no secret of her love of money and occasionally brings up overtly political topics on her social media. Megumi Hayashibara and Megumi Ogata have both been pretty open about the stressfulness of their work and their opinions on current trends in the industry. And Yuu Asakawa seems to revel in being a slob and a domineering senpai - I recall a moment from one of the K-On! live shows where she shoved Youko Hikasa a little too hard for it to look like a friendly jab on the shoulder. What they all have in common is that they're all veterans with a number of memorable roles, but with somewhat limited exposure nowadays (plus, not sure about the others, but at least Asakawa is independent, so she doesn't have managers and agents to dictate her public behaviour). Hard to imagine a relative newbie getting away with that sort of persona right away, especially as part of a closely micro-managed idol unit.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Seeing this episode review go up on the front page right next to a Seiyu's Life announcement made me realize that although Girlish Number is way better written than Seiyu's Life was, I enjoyed the physical act of watching that show much more. I'm not sure what that says about me personally, but the fact remains that - much like previous posters have commented - I am having a hard time caring about what happens to Chitose.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:31 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
I'm not aware of any Japanese VAs who totally fit this profile and still get work - Japanese workplaces in general tend to prioritize social harmony (at least on the surface level), and, let's face it, no VA is that irreplaceable. However, some VAs do have well-received less-than-squeaky-clean public personas. Masumi Asano, the original author of Seiyuu's Life, not only goes into some detail about the more stressful and unsatisfying parts of her work, but also makes no secret of her love of money and occasionally brings up overtly political topics on her social media. Megumi Hayashibara and Megumi Ogata have both been pretty open about the stressfulness of their work and their opinions on current trends in the industry. And Yuu Asakawa seems to revel in being a slob and a domineering senpai - I recall a moment from one of the K-On! live shows where she shoved Youko Hikasa a little too hard for it to look like a friendly jab on the shoulder. What they all have in common is that they're all veterans with a number of memorable roles, but with somewhat limited exposure nowadays (plus, not sure about the others, but at least Asakawa is independent, so she doesn't have managers and agents to dictate her public behaviour). Hard to imagine a relative newbie getting away with that sort of persona right away, especially as part of a closely micro-managed idol unit.

Slightly different than what I was talking about, those are example of VA who get hired despite there "non harmonious" conduct. I'm talking more about making it her signature style, her brand if you want. She'd be the real person VA, not the commercial manufactured VA. She could come out be "All the other one that act like goody two shoe are fake two faces bitch, I don't lie to my fans and hide who I really am". Then maybe recycle herself into more indie or auteur project that are trying to give themselves a bit of a rebellious/artsy feel.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Given how they value social harmony, I can't imagine there would be a big enough niche for such a VA to be successful. And also even in a society that places less value on social harmony, like say the US, no one one would want to work with them. No matter the values of the society, most people would not want to work with someone who calls (nearly) all of their peers fake two faced bitches. And frankly that is not much more real than calculatedly cutesy acting ones. Yes there is that sort of thing, but there are people like Nanami and even Yae and Koto who genuinely care about their work and their fans. Yes such a VA that you described would not being lying about who they are, but what they would be is a cynical bitter asshole, and I would not begrudge her peers and even fans who don't want such a person. Yes we need people who open the veil on what the industry is like for the people who work in it is like (as vonPeterhof gave examples of), but do we want someone who despises the industry she works in and the people she works with? Do we want one that just says everything these days is garbage? There are people who want a VA to say that, but that is because they want someone in the industry to endorse their own beliefs about it. But will this make the industry better? Don't we want the ones that work hard to make the best work they can, even if the source is mediocre at best? Just shitting all over the industry and thinking the worst of everyone you work with doesn't make it better. We need VA (and other staff) that don't just say things are bad but work to make it better, for those who work in it and those who see their product, and not ones that just echo our too frequent frustrations with the industry. That's not keeping it real, that's being a cynical bitter asshole.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8