• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Welcome to Demon School, Iruma-kun Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And of course there's the fact that Balam and Kalego appear to be sharing a room in the hotel, one with what appears to be a lone double bed.

As much as I wish that was the case, I think it was just Kalego's room, and Balam simply accompanied him on the way to his own room?

Anyway, I just love how self-aware Ameri is, and how she doesn't let it bother her. Very Happy "Oh wait - is this a romantic scene?! Alright, let's do it!" She's really just so loveable, and I like that while her "otome side" could lean into annoying stereotypes that so often plague stories where badass female characters fall in love, the writer manages to avoid the pitfalls most of the time. I don't care much for the romance subplots in manga like these (aside of Asmodeus' giant crush on Iruma, I mean come on, that's no "friendship" or "loyalty"... in another shounen manga where the relationship started in much the same way, it was in fact acknowledged as a crush and the two characters actually ended up as a couple, I suppose that won't happen here.) Ameri and Iruma have one of the most fun dynamics I've seen. He's a small, soft human, a pushover who's just now finding his inner strength! She's a huge, badass demon girl with an iron will who's experiencing her own gentler, softer side for the first time! They're... really cute together! Very Happy
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:47 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
As much as I wish that was the case, I think it was just Kalego's room, and Balam simply accompanied him on the way to his own room?

I thought that too, but unless the subs are wrong, as they enter the room to find the students mimicking Kalego and stealing everything not nailed down, he says they can have a "nice long chat in our roo--" Then again, he said they were eating on "my" bed, so either there are two beds in the room and we just couldn't see that, or it's only his room. Then athird, it seemed like Kalego brought the food cart back to eat because he hated the buffet, not because he was looking out for Balam. So if he brought it back just for himself, why was Balam hanging out alone in Kalego's room unless it was also his room? Kalego didn't seem surprised to find him there.

Probably thinking too deeply about it... Very Happy
Kirki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:38 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
(aside of Asmodeus' giant crush on Iruma, I mean come on, that's no "friendship" or "loyalty"... in another shounen manga where the relationship started in much the same way, it was in fact acknowledged as a crush and the two characters actually ended up as a couple, I suppose that won't happen here.)

Which manga? Which manga I am asking very calmly for research purposes. Cool Which mangaaaaaaa
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:51 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
SHD wrote:

I thought that too, but unless the subs are wrong, as they enter the room to find the students mimicking Kalego and stealing everything not nailed down, he says they can have a "nice long chat in our roo--"

Oh, that was probably just the translator's wishful thinking-- er, their attempt to make the sentence flow in English. In Japanese Kalego simply says says the equivalent of "in the room" without any direct indication as to whose room it is, with the contextual implication of it being his... well, I mean if Ronowe's dad gave them rooms to stay in for free why would the two teachers have to share a room? (The kids are one thing, high school kids rarely get their own room, but teachers...)

Last edited by SHD on Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:36 am Reply with quote
Sorry, I didn't see this before I wrote my previous post!

Kirki wrote:
SHD wrote:
(aside of Asmodeus' giant crush on Iruma, I mean come on, that's no "friendship" or "loyalty"... in another shounen manga where the relationship started in much the same way, it was in fact acknowledged as a crush and the two characters actually ended up as a couple, I suppose that won't happen here.)

Which manga? Which manga I am asking very calmly for research purposes. Cool Which mangaaaaaaa

Spoiler-tagged because obviously this is a huuuuge spoiler re: that manga... spoiler[It's Kunisaki Izumo no jijou, a manga about kid kabuki actors. Izumo is our main character; Sae is the spoiled rich kid bully who thinks he's all that. The romance is fairly low on the manga's list of priorities, but I think that it's actually fairly well-written and well-utilized!] The story in a nutshell in case you don't want to go in blind: spoiler[At first Sae is a total dick to Izumo, but Izumo one-ups him in a way that not only has a good influence on Sae's personality, but he also ends up firmly believing that Izumo is a girl pretending to be a guy, and he develops a huge crush on him. Eventually Izumo also develops feelings for Sae, and after some pretty well-done angst about what to do, he eventually sets Sae straight once and for all about his gender (he had tried many times previously, but Sae is very dumb)... but Sae loves him regardless, and they end up a couple. And all the while there's not even one instance of "I shouldn't have these feelings for another boy". ]
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:24 pm Reply with quote
If they had a suite then there could have been two bedrooms with an adjoining door.
Kirki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:22 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Sorry, I didn't see this before I wrote my previous post!

Kirki wrote:
SHD wrote:

Spoiler-tagged because obviously this is a huuuuge spoiler re: that manga... spoiler[It's Kunisaki Izumo no jijou, a manga about kid kabuki actors. Izumo is our main character; Sae is the spoiled rich kid bully who thinks he's all that. The romance is fairly low on the manga's list of priorities, but I think that it's actually fairly well-written and well-utilized!] The story in a nutshell in case you don't want to go in blind: spoiler[At first Sae is a total dick to Izumo, but Izumo one-ups him in a way that not only has a good influence on Sae's personality, but he also ends up firmly believing that Izumo is a girl pretending to be a guy, and he develops a huge crush on him. Eventually Izumo also develops feelings for Sae, and after some pretty well-done angst about what to do, he eventually sets Sae straight once and for all about his gender (he had tried many times previously, but Sae is very dumb)... but Sae loves him regardless, and they end up a couple. And all the while there's not even one instance of "I shouldn't have these feelings for another boy". ]

Many thanks I'll check it out!! Many many thanks! Very Happy
ab2143

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I prefer the lighthearted episodes like this one over the more serious episodes. It really was fun seeing more of Chez Valac!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I think my favorite bit was how they did not forget their absent brother, always including him via signage in all the activities.

Also, Clara gonna be a good Mom. Smile When her kids hop into boiling potion pots and climb into cozy carnivorous plants, she'll very likely join them!
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I didn't think I could be more hyped for the IrumaxAmeri date than before I saw the preview showing her telling her dad and Ameri in a swimsuit/ponytail.
ab2143

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:30 am Reply with quote
Anyone else notice the Migi lookalike on a date (I think her name is Dosanko) I think that’s her as we haven’t really seen any more of her kind and if I recall correctly, she often talked about beauty and dating(?)

Can’t tell if the date she’s with is really tall or that she’s really small…
https://imgur.com/yAyqwq9
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:47 am Reply with quote
The fact that this show was able to take an episode that was 98% a pool date between two characters and make it so enjoyable and engrossing is such a testament to the writing, characters, execution, and just how great Iruma and Ameri's relationship is.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Ameri is too cute for words when she twees; I melt like butter on a grill.
CheerSong

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:13 am Reply with quote
I love watching Iruma and Ameri together!!! Ameri needs to chill out and enjoy the moment...oh my I am rooting for them both!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:42 am Reply with quote
I think I was expecting more follow up on their date, but I loved the shopping trip and all, so it's all good. Iruma is just so infectiously happy about everything!

I agree that Sullivan definitely has been doing some scheming, though his love for Iruma is nevertheless pure. He certainly had a shifty look in his eyes when talking to Iruma about the Demon King.

Quote:
it reminds me of a thought I've had on and off as to whether or not the animal ears on their and Ameri's heads are actually ears or if they function more as soft horns.

Well, both Ameri and Opera have actual pointy ears, so I don't think they're ears. But they also move to express their emotions, so that's not very horn-like, soft or not. I think it's just hair that can be moved, like a cat poofs its fur.

Speaking of Ameri (still), I'm about 75% convinced that the human Henri sent back was her mother. I went back and rewatched that segment in S1 Ep 20 where he's telling Iruma about it, and the avoidance of gender seems conspicuous. Also, Ameri is the only female demon I can think of who has no tail, except for Dosanko (only some of the male demons have tails though).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8