• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Korean Protests Call for Hetalia Anime's Cancellation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:46 am Reply with quote
The Koreans and Japanese don't have a great history guys. Koreans are rightfully insulted because they see it as more than just a joke comming from the Japanese, who committed horrible crimes against them in the past. It has alot more to do with real history and politics than a comic depiction of Korea, which is probably no worse than the one of Italy or Japan itself.

This is about the way other Asian nations feel about Japan, who they see as ignorring the events of their past, and trying to pretend it never happened, and in that way, glorifying it. Kind of like why people were getting offended when the Japanese PM continued to visit Yasukuni shrine.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:01 am Reply with quote
Well...I guess to put it in perspective, it's like how American history texts gloss over the fact that we stole and raped the land of the Native Americans and forced them onto reservations.

And about the USA's representation: it's no secret some Japanese still resent us for Fat Man and Little Boy, a lot of anime and manga still have anti-American sentiments in them.
ArielTsuki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:18 am Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
On the other hand, Japan doesn't have anything really insulting about him at all, but he happens to be possibly the most boring and uninteresting character.

Actually, if you see in the Japanese perceptive, Japan can be pretty damn insulting. He's small, delicate, somewhat feminine, is an otaku for cute things (I can't really remember Japan being an otaku for anime in canon though, despite the fandom depict him that way), submissive, easily influenced, yadda, yadda. And he's the second favorite character over there, behind England.

I don't find America very insulting since that was pretty much the worldview of Americans for years (which even worsen when you-know-who entered into office) and I kinda got used to that. LOL.

But I can see why Korea can be insulting though. He's depicted as the energetic, annoying brother (In Hetalia, a good number of countries would call an another country familial names but a very few is actually related) out of the China-Japan-Korea trio, who likes to sexually harass his brothers.

Honestly, I heard that the Koreans were mostly pissed at Korean's character design that had "soulless eyes" although I don't it was in part of character designs not being completely finished.
domino

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:33 am Reply with quote
Anyone who gets even slightly offended by Hetalia makes me sick. It's 100% gag and the stereotyping is equal for all countries involved. And what about Korea's character was offensive? In Hetalia, Korea is AWESOME. He is a friendly guy who can draw very well.
He appeared on the Hetalia anime site's character section, so it seems like he could have appeared in the anime eventually, but it seems now that Korea is crying about it, the character will never get to appear. I hope 10,000 trucks hit everyone who signed such a petition; they probably haven't even read Hetalia and just want to have something to argue with Japan about. That kind of easily-offended attitude is a lot more harmful to Korea's reputation than that happy-go-lucky character that represents them in Hetalia.

I hope the anime can air safely without any more protests and people getting unnecessarily offended.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:35 am Reply with quote
DarkHunter6523 wrote:
Maybe the Koreans should have thought twice before assassinating the first prime minister of Japan.

Then who killed Korean Empress first? Just an eye for an eye. Too bad that An killed the wrong person (Itō didn't support hurried annexation of Korea).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
a cable television channel aimed at children, issued the following statement

isn't this the same station that aired Narutaru? i'm pretty sure they're not aimed at children.
tebalith

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
[b]I hope 10,000 trucks hit everyone who signed such a petition;

Classy.
Maybe curb down the death threats. They are harmful to the reputation of Hetalia fans.
Seiitsuno Megami

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:58 am Reply with quote
BREAKING NEWS: KOREA IS MAD AT JAPAN FOR SOMETHING TRIVIAL
ALERT THE PRESSES

seriously guys, calm down. this is nothing new.

the only thing i'm worried about is that it looks like they're going to pull korea from the anime. he didn't have a very big role anyway (in the main storyline) despite being one of the best characters, imho. his character design was up on the site and everything (even if his eyes were soulless and his ahoge was drawn wrong...). a little over a week to airing is more than enough time to cut out some 'offensive' scenes.

*waits for dvd version*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
mufurc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Of course both this news article and Yomiuri Shinbun fails to mention their sources. From other sources it seems like that yes, some people in Korea are protesting about the show but apparently they're mostly right-wing nationalist netizens, and some people are blowing this way out of proportion.

On the other hand, I wish those who bash Koreans for protesting (or anyone who finds the series offensive) would just get the hell out of this fandom. I love this series and don't think it's any more offensive than Hogan's Heroes or 'Allo 'Allo, but it is controversial, and there are lots of reasons why someone might find it offensive. Do the show and its fandom a favor and don't make us fans look bad okay?
DarkHunter6523

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:38 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Then who killed Korean Empress first? Just an eye for an eye. Too bad that An killed the wrong person (Itō didn't support hurried annexation of Korea).

Yes, an eye for an eye, the Middle East continues to prove that to be the smartest decision in every situation...

I'm not saying the killing of their empress was justified, but to kill your greatest hope for not getting boned for the next 35 or so years, is not a smart decision. Also, An killed Ito on the basis that his death would unite Japan and Korea in friendship (LOL). That tosses out the notion that it was done for the purpose of revenge for their empress.
JELEINEN

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:23 pm Reply with quote
So I take it that all the people upset over this protest would be okay with adding a Jew for Germany to beat up on in the show.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Assuming Hetalia isn't simply offensive jokes at diffrent countries and sterotypes, then this protest probably won't stop the anime on television. If the anime is stopped, there is always a chance for dvd sales.

Though if this case is brought to court, then the chance of this show being broadcasted is quite slim. Anyone remember the Higarashi (When They Cry) case? Only diffrence is no one has yet hurt, yet.
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Oh, please. 'Cancel the anime because there are no Koreans." Give me a break. I doubt, very much, that the anime will stop. What about Americans? There are no Americans in the anime so yeah, they should end the series because there are no Americans ... maybe if they stopped pirating anime and God knows whatever else then they would have a right to complain.
SeinenAi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:42 pm Reply with quote
mulrich wrote:
What a bunch of pussies.

It reminds me of that article by a Japanese-American game reviewer who whined about the depiction of the Japanese soldiers in the World War II first-person shooter "Call of Duty - World at War". He achieved nothing, except making himself appear like a pussy. I'm of German heritage. Should I bitch and whine about the depiction of German soldiers?

If it makes you feel better my husband loves that game and he is Japanese-American.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Baw, Koreans, baw.

It won't get cancelled.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10