• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Producer: Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Will Not Be Origin Story

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
errantrogue

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:31 am Reply with quote
Onizuka666 wrote:
Some suggested Kate Beckinsdale as Faye, but also think Monica Bellucci could also work, with that killer cleavage, and having worked with Keanu before.

Bellucci is a dream, tis true... but her accent would kill it for me. A friend of mine tried to defend your choice commenting on her whole "Romany" line in her intro episode, BUT... as we all know... that line was just one of her many lies to make herself all mysterious and sexy.

Now... that's not to say that Bellucci wouldn't have a shot at Julia... as all she would have to do in a RedEye storyline would be silent flashbacks... but I, personally, would rather have Mira Sorvino as Julia.

Oddly enough, my new thought (new to me, haven't read back to see if anyone else thought of it) would be Anne Hathaway as Faye. She really impressed me as 99.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:23 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
The article fails to mention that Streamline released Nadia on VHS a few years before Atlantis;

It was an obscure VHS release that got cancelled after two volumes, before they even got to the meat of the story... yip-yip-yahoo.

EDIT: Also, if we're talking dream-casting for Faye, I'd rather have someone young (20's), half-Asian, and sizzling, like Devon Aoki or Kristen Kreuk. Or maybe Lexa Doig, even though she's already 35.

My reasoning is: that's the kind of eye candy I like to look at. It doesn't really get any simpler than that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Unit: It also drew inspiration from Cagliostro. And if it's flimsy, why did Di$ney rip off even more anime with Treasure Planet the next year?

Tenchi: Actually, four volumes, and they could be rented from the occasional Blockbuster. Next. Oh, and Devin Aoki is fugly, and Kreuk sucks enough[and not in a good way] as Chun Li. If they want a 90210 Faye, make it Zhang Ziyi and/or Maggie Q.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:57 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Unit: It also drew inspiration from Cagliostro. And if it's flimsy, why did Di$ney rip off even more anime with Treasure Planet the next year?

I don't think Treasure Planet did anything to rip off anime, I am pretty sure its based on Treasure Island(but i could be wrong), but with a science fiction motif.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I forgot to mention that the 1961 George Pal film, Atlantis: The Lost Continent, also had an Atlantean princess with a mysterious crystal power, so that particular trope was around decades before Nadia. Most of the similarities between Nadia and Disney's Atlantis are simply attributable to having been drawn from the same literary sources, especially Jules Verne and Edgar Cayce, and everything else I can attribute to either common cartoon clichés or simple coincidence.

As for Treasure Planet, I seem to recall a handful of anime message board "zOMG! Pirate Ships in Space! Harlock rip-off!" threads, but they didn't even get the same amount of traction as even the Atlantis vs. Nadia claims.

Anyway, I was thinking about it some more, and Lexa Doig would be perfect for Faye, not just for her looks, and I think she looks a lot like Faye especially when she wore the purple wig as "Rommy", but also for her pre-existing "genre" street cred from shows like Andromeda and Eureka!, not to mention she's married to Michael Shanks from Stargate SG-1, so she's Vancouver-filmed syndicated sci-fi TV royalty.

Also, since I imagine they'll be filming this one on the "cheaper" side of the blockbuster budget scale, Lexa Doig would be well within their price range.

I could see Zhang Ziyi in the role even though I always imagined Faye as being only half-Asian.

The Chun Li movie is the only other film I am really looking forward to this winter besides Coraline, so I like Kreuk, and I find Devon Aoki gorgeous since she has a Japanese face but with a Caucasian complexion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I hear they'll be using a CGI dog for Ein.

Also, Samuel L. Jackson and Hilary Duff as Punch and Judy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping Pierre Bernard from Late Night with Conan O'Brien (and, presumably, he's staying around for Jimmy Fallon) could be Punch, since he's a big Cowboy Bebop fan and would probably jump at the chance to have a cameo in the film and Punch isn't exactly a big part.

If Pierre was Punch, then Amanda Tapping from Stargate SG-1 could be his Judy.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:34 pm Reply with quote
animehermit: It didn't rip off anime, and yet it looks like a Ghibli movie. Rolling Eyes

Tenchi:
Quote:
I forgot to mention that the 1961 George Pal film, Atlantis: The Lost Continent, also had an Atlantean princess with a mysterious crystal power, so that particular trope was around decades before Nadia.

Perhaps, but the more modern setting was from the Gainax series.

Quote:
Most of the similarities between Nadia and Disney's Atlantis are simply attributable to having been drawn from the same literary sources, especially Jules Verne and Edgar Cayce, and everything else I can attribute to either common cartoon clichés or simple coincidence.

That's what they said about Hellsing and Van Helsing. And yet the Geneon people told me Hirano was allegedly irritated that they stole his costume designs for the movie.

Quote:
As for Treasure Planet, I seem to recall a handful of anime message board "zOMG! Pirate Ships in Space! Harlock rip-off!" threads, but they didn't even get the same amount of traction as even the Atlantis vs. Nadia claims.

Probably because there are more Nadia fans than Harlock fans. *sigh*

Quote:
Anyway, I was thinking about it some more, and Lexa Doig would be perfect for Faye, not just for her looks, and I think she looks a lot like Faye especially when she wore the purple wig as "Rommy", but also for her pre-existing "genre" street cred from shows like Andromeda and Eureka!, not to mention she's married to Michael Shanks from Stargate SG-1, so she's Vancouver-filmed syndicated sci-fi TV royalty.

Seen her pic, and I disagree. Faye's gotta be an anti-Ripley character.

Quote:
The Chun Li movie is the only other film I am really looking forward to this winter besides Coraline,

Looking forward to bringing some liquor with you, or actually looking forward to it? Laughing

Quote:
and I find Devon Aoki gorgeous since she has a Japanese face but with a Caucasian complexion.

Personally, that's why I can't stand her. They probably only hired her for that reason, too.

Anyway, Punch and Judy is easy: Jamie Foxx and Jessica Simpson.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Daveigh Chase is Edward. Wilford Brimley as the doctor from episodes 2 and 25.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:43 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
The article fails to mention that Streamline released Nadia on VHS a few years before Atlantis; so I highly doubt that the Disney animators could be familiar with anime in general and not have seen even the covers for the show.

Still, just circumstancial evidence at best. Besides, IIRC, Streamline only released the first 8 eps (because that's all I have of it!). Laughing
centzontotochtin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Hey, if Keanu Reeves can play John Constantine, he can worm his way into any part, no matter how unlikely. Tis a pity though, because bebop fight scenes were never the kind that could be pulled off with wires..

I for one am fcking glad it's not the origin story, those kind of stories are only interesting when told as grainy flashbacks with some element of mystery, preferably in the middle of a gunfight, and if Watanabe has enough integrity to draw a line under his hit story when it's finished and say 'that's all you're getting', then people should respect that. The first episode idea wasn't bad, wasn't that guy modelled on Antonio Banderas anyway? Plus you can have a nice downer ending with jazz in space without killing off any of the main characters (which let's face it they're never going to do..)

but why the hell hasn't anyone in the film industry got Josh Whedon involved in this?
I mean Firefly is the closest thing I've seen to the bebop world that's come from America..

And much as any man in their right mind (and many women) would love to see Kate Beckinsdale dressed as Faye Valentine, that woman is no Faye...
Batman3777

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Beckinsale, Beckinsale. The woman's name is Beckinsale. No D. If y'all are going to fawn all over her, at least get her name right. Rolling Eyes
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:38 pm Reply with quote
centzo: Name-dropping Banderas don't help, since I consider him a better older Spike than Keanu. Though now that I think about it, this guy would've been pretty good.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:15 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Well, this is nothing new in the way of...news. Really. Didn't we already know this would be en media res?

Unless he's saying that Vicious and Julia will not be regarded in this movie at all, which would Shocked sadden me... Crying or Very sad

But I don't think that's what he's saying. I think he's just reassuring fans that they are NOT now or ever going to get the full story of Spike's past, the snippets are the snippets, and this movie will be like a long episode of the TV show. Which is how it should be.

Like what the animated movie was. And it worked very well in that regard IMO. I would also suggest people just shut up about the Keanu hate. We get it. He sucks. Hollywood sucks. Blah blah blah. The same opinions are said in every single thread about a live action movie based on an anime series so by now I think we get the idea. Move on please to something original.

I personally think this particular adaptation could work very well compared to many other anime adaptations. Majority of the special effects will come in terms of the Spaceships and environments presented. Hollywood has had plenty of practice in that regard. If the clips for the new Star trek don't showcase that they can at least make a nice purty CG spaceship then nothing will. Beyond that at it's core, despite how "deep" fans like to make Spike and the show out to be, Bebop was a popcorn action flick series IMO. yes it had some actual depth but at it's heart it is an action series. People shooting people and shit blowing up. Hollywood can at least do that. While others like Dragonball may not be very realistic I don't see a reason this one can't be done in such a manner. There's no one shooting fireballs from their eyes or bolts of lightning from their arse's in this show. And since they say that any complete script will go before Watanabe first and foremost that would say to me the final product will be one that is acceptable to him.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:37 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
EDIT: Also, if we're talking dream-casting for Faye, I'd rather have someone young (20's), half-Asian, and sizzling, like Devon Aoki

This picture represents my reaction to your suggestion that Faye Valentine be played by Devon Aoki.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8