• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fullmetal Alchemist's 3rd New TV Commercial Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shezni

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:43 pm Reply with quote
darcerin wrote:
shezni wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Kyogissun wrote:
Pretty much everyone would prefer for Funimation to bring back the previous cast, assuming they get it, right?

If they'd replace Vic Mignogna, I could at least tolerate the dub.

Otherwise, Romi Paku and Rie Kugimiya are Edward and Alphonse Elric to me.

Well, in that respect, Funi has two options.

1) Recast Vic and make the majority of fans happy, which equals more potential moolah or
2) Cast someone else and invoke the rage of Risembool Rangers across the nation

I'd hate to say it, but I'm pretty sure the good ol' boys at Funi will go with option 1.

While not a Risembool Ranger, I am a fan of Vic's because of his Ed (although certainly nowhere near rabid as some of the others...).
And forget the Rangers wrath, they'd have to worry about VIC's wrath first! He's a TOTAL fanboy for FMA.

Ah yes, I'd forgotten about Vic's own love of the series. "Hell hath no fury like a VA scorned." Very Happy
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:05 pm Reply with quote
That was actually pretty cool. ^^ I like seeing more of the characters, and you can get a sense that the show is going to be a little darker than how the first series went. Hopefully Funi gets the rights to this soon; I want to watch this dubbed like crazy. Anime hyper
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
a little darker than how the first series went

I don't see how that's possible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Seriously, what'd Vic do to piss people off? I actually welcomed his enthusiasm while seeing the supplemental material for the series, and I'm not big on dubs at all. His Ed is not a personal favorite, but I've heard much worse.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:35 pm Reply with quote
look like there are going to license it after it done
jonindarkrai

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I cant wait. Funnamation better Dub this one(and fast).I want more. Hopfully the keep all the same actors for this one. Also i hope Adult swim will air it on Tv. I dont want to buy it on dvd right away.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:54 pm Reply with quote
shezni wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Kyogissun wrote:
Pretty much everyone would prefer for Funimation to bring back the previous cast, assuming they get it, right?

1) Recast Vic and make the majority of fans happy, which equals more potential moolah or

I'd hate to say it, but I'm pretty sure the good ol' boys at Funi will go with option 1.

I think your taking your opinion and forcing it on everyone else. I prefer Vic to Romi just because it makes Ed sound like his gone through puberty.
Katawe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:55 pm Reply with quote
From the website:
Quote:
MBS・TBS系全国ネットにて4月5日午後5時放送開始です!お楽しみに!!

Am I just crazy, or does that sound an awful lot like they're planning to release it online for all to see?
jonindarkrai

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
shezni wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Kyogissun wrote:

I think your taking your opinion and forcing it on everyone else. I prefer Vic to Romi just because it makes Ed sound like his gone through puberty.
This is true. I love Vic working on Fma.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
I prefer Vic to Romi just because it makes Ed sound like his gone through puberty.

But Ed hasn't gone through puberty. He's going through it.

And Vic makes Ed sound scratchy and distant, like he doesn't care about anything going on. Flat and uninterested. No pathos at all. Romi Paku brings an intensity to the role that's perfect. I can sense the pain and regret in him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
prettypopcandy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:58 pm Reply with quote
yah I love vic, and i'm in the miniskirt army.

so of cour I must say, COME BACK my SEXXY MANTravis Willingham, you are the onlly Roy for me!!!!! Anime exclamation
I will follow for all time!
and wear TINY MINISKIRTS!!!!

buy yeah, I'm really eager to see a fresh new approach to an amazing stroy

Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:04 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
I prefer Vic to Romi just because it makes Ed sound like his gone through puberty.

And Vic makes Ed sound scratchy and distant, like he doesn't care about anything going on. Flat and uninterested. No pathos at all. Romi Paku brings an intensity to the role that's perfect. I can sense the pain and regret in him.

Here's the point do you want Ed recast because Vic was a collasal failure, or because he didn't sound like Romi Paku.

To recast a character one of two things must happen the V.A is unable to do it (either due to money reasons or whatever) or the VA was a collasal failure.

I thought Vic was quite good, he sounded young, he did a great job with both drama and comedy, and the dub for me was the highlight of the series.
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:11 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

Agreed. Love the Japanese cast on this one. Don't like Vic, didn't like the dub. But dub fans seem to like the dub, so let them have it. I watch subs anyway.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Here's the point do you want Ed recast because Vic was a collasal failure, or because he didn't sound like Romi Paku.

He doesn't need to sound like Romi Paku, but Ed shouldn't sound like a scratchy-voiced whispery robot. If they had given the role to, say, Jason Liebrecht or Eric Vale, he'd at least sound like he has a personality.

At least Vic managed to improve somewhat in the movie's dub.

I don't expect a recasting, though. It would be insane for Funimation to re-cast the role when the original one is still available and quite popular. And don't think I'm necessarily singling out Vic, it's just that his Ed was the biggest difference between me tolerating the dub or not. There were a lot of other dub performances that I disliked (Wendy Powell's Envy, Chris Patton's Greed), and some I did like (Aaron Dismuke's Alphonse, Christine Auten's Izumi, Brice Armstrong's Tim Marcoh).
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:32 pm Reply with quote
If Funimation licenses this series, I sure wouldn't want a recast. In fact I really enjoyed Vic's english dub, he did a fantastic job. I would enjoy watching Full Metal Alchemist on television again though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7