• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Martian Chronicles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hardgear

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Almost immediately the players' avatars are replaced by images of their real faces and bodies. I think if this happened in say, World of Warcraft, you'd see a larger range of body types. I mean, maybe Japan is filled with buff, weight-lifting gamers who play knights. I don't know.

That doesn't actually strike me as very weird. While I wouldn't call them buff, the majority of Japanese people are at least lean. Look at any video of a crowded street in Tokyo and tell me how many obese people you see. Then do the same thing for New York or LA... Yeah if it were to happen in WoW there would definitely be a wide range of body types due to most WoW players being from the US and Europe, where obesity is quickly becoming the norm...
thenix

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:14 am Reply with quote
As much as I like Sword Art Online, .Hack is better and personally I think if you disagree it's because you haven't put the time into .hack. Why I say that is because they are very similar, but .hack expands the universe greatly and tells a story with a much greater pace than SAO. If you only dabbled with .hack you may not understand as well because the /signs anime series was a bit confusing and weird if you didn't watch it all the way through or weren't playing the games at the same time. The franchise was created to have a story that was continued on several platforms at the same time though and if you read the manga, watched the anime, played the games, and watched the OVA it was great immersion. You mentioned there was more at stake in SAO but in .hack not only were there thousands of lives at stake in the game but the program firing nuclear missiles at the world in real life. There is also much less plot holes in .hack.

That being said though if you liked SAO I would suggest getting into .hack, and I still like SAO, it's my fav anime Im' watching right now.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:20 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

I like Universe and Tokyo, but I don't consider them canon, and I don't think most Tenchi Muyo fans do either (they was no involvement with the creator of the series K Masaki). They were just okay spinoffs, so I don't like to judge them together.

As a fan of Tenchi back in the day when it was on Cartoon Network, I always considered the OVAs, Universe, and Tokyo to be three parts of the same franchise. Whether you judge them together or not, other people are going to because Tenchi is not just one be-all end-all show, it's a franchise.

CrownKlown wrote:

By my count there were 3 girls that "chased" Akito. Blue haired girl, she liked him because they were childhood friends. Aquamarine hair girl liked him gradual, as he improved as a pilot and got to know him better. The brown haired girl is the only one who I can't think of why she liked him, but she was probably the most plain and boring character, so who cares. Even if you count ruri, she says it in one episode, she likes his childish enthusiasm and innocence.

Christ at least watch what you criticize.

If you're trying to make a point about someone not getting the facts straight from a show, at least look up the character names first before posting. It will help you sound more like you care about what you're talking about.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:38 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
Nadesico's fun; also a love triangle with one "undecided". And unlike Evangelion, I actually got to enjoy Spkie Spencer's performance in the dub.

Oh god I forgot all about that. That's what made the dub for me. It was the time of ADV where they could get downright ridiculous voices (I do remember Eureka being somewhat annoying) but the fact that they had this comedy homage to otaku-fandom and their shinji voice actor had the lead role, and though piloting robots, totally was superior to Shinji in most ways. He made me laugh too much.

I watched this whole series originally dubbed on vhs. God I feel old now.

And yeah, the theme song was pretty great. Damn I want to watch some Nadesico now.

NGE & MSN are like the "Smurfs" & "Snorks" of anime. One was more popluar than the other despite Nadesico being far superior. Like Smurfs, lacking the charm and quirkyness of the Snorks, Evangelion didn't have the charm of Nadesico but still caught on better. Like Smurfs and Snorks, both anime aired on the same network during the same hour.

But wheras Smurfs & Snorks came out within 3 years of each other, NGE & MSN came out the same year: 1995.

I recorded Nadesico on VOD back in 2003-2004 via VHS( Which I eventually ripped to DVD-R) during my early Otaku years. Even then I knew it was satire and appreciated that.

The thing I enjoyed about MSN that no stone was left unturned. The show avoided plot holes. It had the Uncanny ability to anwser all questions regarding the plot by the end of each episode.

As for the film, I completely DISARGEE with Ms. Erin. The film was a disjointed,sloppliy written mess and lousy adaptation.
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:42 am Reply with quote
Wait... What forum am I reading. SAO was reviewed in the article, along with some other things, and less than 90% of the posts are about SAO... This is still ANN, right? LOL!

All joking aside, I can't comment on the other two, as I haven't seen either... I want to see Nadesico, but wanted to see the series before the movie and haven't gotten around to it.

Episode 12 of SAO, while a bit melodramatic, actually got to me. The concept of Yui's character, and what she went through leading to her seeking out Kirito and Asuna, was a great idea and a fantastic commentary on the potential issues this type of game could have, even if it isn't rigged to kill you in real life. Many people have complained about the "day care in the game" concept, saying that adding children to the game was just wrong. I have yet to figure out why they have that problem! Sure, the game is probably rated "Teen" and technically shouldn't be played by children, but that means precisely nothing to many parents whose children would want the game. I have known many parents that I don't consider to be negligent in other areas that allow their pre-teen and teenage children to play games like Grand Theft Auto and Modern Warfare. This type of full immersion VR game would certainly have its share of youngsters that convinced their parents that they have to have it!

Just look at how many people took their very young children to see Star Wars: Episode III without regard to the fact that it features spoiler[a character turning evil, killing little children, fighting with his surrogate father figure from the previous two films, helping kill Samuel L. Jackson's character - the biggest crime IMO, and caps it off by attacking his pregnant wife, believing in the end that he killed her and his unborn child (children, yes, but he didn't know that, for some totally bizarre reason none of the Jedi or Sith ever managed to sense that there were two children there... One would think that would be child's play for a Jedi!)[BTW, the bit about Sam Jackson was a joke, before people that can't read sarcasm start to slam me for it!]] If people do that, why would they not buy a game that is beyond their kid's age range, too?
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:09 am Reply with quote
zensunni,

Regarding kids in SAO: I think it's more a matter of there only being 10,000 copies of the game available that makes the idea of there being very many kids in it hard to believe. If there was a large stock of the game available, then getting hold of a copy for your young child wouldn't be as much of a stretch, IMO.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:36 am Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
Yeah if it were to happen in WoW there would definitely be a wide range of body types due to most WoW players being from the US and Europe, where obesity is quickly becoming the norm...
It's already been the norm for quite a few years now. But having travelled in both continents, I have to say the US has to be the Obese Capital of the world, with the UK a close second, where as Euopeans, who mostly don't eat at American global franchise restaurants very much, if at all, have stayed quite slim.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
zensunni,

Regarding kids in SAO: I think it's more a matter of there only being 10,000 copies of the game available that makes the idea of there being very many kids in it hard to believe. If there was a large stock of the game available, then getting hold of a copy for your young child wouldn't be as much of a stretch, IMO.

It was stated in the episode that the kids logged in with their parents on a family account. They had gamer parents.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:40 pm Reply with quote
If you liked the TV series, really don't see how you can like the movie for Martian Successor Nadesico, unless you are a Ruri fan. All the vibrant life of the TV series is filtered out, and the two main characters are run through the grinder. What hell the dropped Akito in, reminds me of what they did to Yuji from Shana. Really don't see how they could even plan to make three movies, when they were going to alienate most of their audience with the major tone and character changes. Bit like taking Dorothy of Oz, and turning her into a psychopathic killer bent on genocidal rampage against the Gnome king and all his citizens.

Liked the original Tenchi OVA's and the first two movies. Everything else is not cannon or is an alternate universe version that the Japanese are so wont to do. Really don't know what to think about the final OVA's.

Need to watch SAO.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:44 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Just damn. :0
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
If you liked the TV series, really don't see how you can like the movie for Martian Successor Nadesico, unless you are a Ruri fan. All the vibrant life of the TV series is filtered out, and the two main characters are run through the grinder.

I saw the movie first at my anime club, and absolutely loved it. Then I went back to watch the series (in order to understand a lot of what was going on in the movie and who all those people were). And it became (and remains) one of my favorite anime series.

There's still a lot of vibrant life in the movie (the movie almost has the vibrant energy of Nadesico's multi-layered episode previews at times), and the way they bring the old crew back together is wonderful.

My only complaint is that it left the characters' stories seeming incomplete.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna admit right off the top that its been years since I watched Nadesico, but I swear with respect to:
Quote:
I particularly had problems with cutesy teen girl captain Yurika Misumaru. I never bought that she was a brilliant strategist, or, frankly, brilliant in any way at all.

That it was pretty much flat out stated that Yurika is NOT the captain due to ability but BECAUSE she is a "cute girl". (heck, they have a whole episode devoted to finding a new captain that is a beauty pageant) I forget the nuance and details, but I seem to remember the "point" of the captain in Nadesico is to "inspire" the crew, leadership has little to nothing to do with it. In fact, IIRC, the "sinister" forces all but WANT an incompetent captain because it helps them to better pull the strings.

Also, re: Nadesico vs. Evangelion. I don't remember Nadesico EVER being bigger than (or even "equal" to) Evangelion, at least in America. I assume this is because Evangelion is popular with emo, disaffected teens and remains so whether you appreciate the deconstruction aspects or not. OTOH, if you're new to anime, you're FAR less likely to appreciate what's going on in Nadesico. (while it's still amusing I assume, Gekiganger loses a LOT if you're not at least somewhat versed in 70s giant robot shows, like Getter Robo, altho, that raises an interesting question to me, I'm curious how it would be received by someone who hasn't watched OLD robot shows, but HAS seen OTHER shows that reference them like Gurren Lagann)

Last edited by HeeroTX on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Some have even considered Nedesico as a parody of EVA.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
[quote="dm"]
TarsTarkas wrote:
If you liked the TV series, really don't see how you can like the movie for Martian Successor Nadesico, unless you are a Ruri fan. All the vibrant life of the TV series is filtered out, and the two main characters are run through the grinder.

I saw the movie first at my anime club, and absolutely loved it. Then I went back to watch the series (in order to understand a lot of what was going on in the movie and who all those people were). And it became (and remains) one of my favorite anime series.

There's still a lot of vibrant life in the movie (the movie almost has the vibrant energy of Nadesico's multi-layered episode previews at times), and the way they bring the old crew back together is wonderful.

My only complaint is that it left the characters' stories seeming incomplete.[/
quote]

I plan on starting my own Anime Club. Would you mind PM me some tips?
Maigraith

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
It's already been the norm for quite a few years now. But having travelled in both continents, I have to say the US has to be the Obese Capital of the world, with the UK a close second, where as Euopeans, who mostly don't eat at American global franchise restaurants very much, if at all, have stayed quite slim.

Europeans don't have the same rates but they are most certainly not staying slim, especially as they get older, the obesity and overweight rates are rising. The younger crowd was mostly slim but as they get older they get larger. Here's some stats.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4