• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Group Discusses Lucky Star Uniforms to Boost Local Tourism

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:23 am Reply with quote
Now that is cool. Japan can be such an awesome place.
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:51 am Reply with quote
The whole thing sounds like desperation to me. I would feel sorry for school girls who had to wear cartoon uniforms in the name of economic boost even though they are not anime fans. If I was one of them, I would be embarrassed. Anyway, the whole thing is still under discussion and hopefully it won't become reality.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:54 am Reply with quote
Haha, yes! This is exactly the type of thing Japan needs more of. All japan has to do to cure their economic troubles is exploit their largest nature resource, otaku. Just through in a few anime related things here and there and suddenly that town's economy will boom. Lets face it, otaku are like drug addicts, they stop at nothing to fill their life with anime. No price is to high, or place to far to stop them. It's a perfect plan. Way to go Japan!

Last edited by Mushi-Man on Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
senbei

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:49 am Reply with quote
I like Lucky Star and all but this is just going waaay too far.

Maybe if girls who would wear those uniforms would get some kind of compensation, like say town-wide discounts or something, I don't see them participating unless coerced.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:18 am Reply with quote
This is all a bit mad. Attracting tourists is one thing, and I can understand why they might want to make hay while the sun shines, but this is going a bit too far, and may well attract the wrong kind of tourist!
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:01 am Reply with quote
senbei wrote:
Maybe if girls who would wear those uniforms would get some kind of compensation, like say town-wide discounts or something, I don't see them participating unless coerced.

At schools that have a uniform, students rarely have a choice in whether or not they wear it.
senbei

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:16 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
senbei wrote:

At schools that have a uniform, students rarely have a choice in whether or not they wear it.

Where I'm from, uniforms symbolize schools not money-making gimmicks.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:24 am Reply with quote
Mr.Shonen wrote:
Can I start facepalming now or later?

Don't facepalm yet, I have a feeling there's gonna be a followup.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:02 am Reply with quote
senbei wrote:
Where I'm from, uniforms symbolize schools not money-making gimmicks.

Same here. But be that as it may, you don't seriously expect the uniform change to be optional for students, do you?
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:22 am Reply with quote
Actually, I think this could be a good thing overall for the students, but only under one condition: The prefecture should pay for the uniforms.

If the prefecture takes some of the money from the increased tourism to provide the uniforms to the kids for free, then it would be a good thing. Families, even the poor families, have to pay for school uniforms and they can be extremely expensive ($300-$500). If this can also act as a way to help defer those costs to the family I think the creepy factor can be counterbalanced. Plus it really might help the local economy in an area that is hard hit by the recession in other ways.

I don't honestly think it'd cause a bunch of crazy otaku to go and start stalking kids just because they're wearing lucky star uniforms.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:38 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
I don't honestly think it'd cause a bunch of crazy otaku to go and start stalking kids just because they're wearing lucky star uniforms.

Well, no. The crazy otaku would already be stalking kids regardless of specific school uniform design. Still, this might divert their attention from other areas to this one.

Please note that I'm not suggesting that all otaku are crazy stalkers, just the ones that are really severely f***ed in the head.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2