• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: No. 6 DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Nescio wrote:
I should make clarifications.

I am not really a big fan of Safu's character. I found her approach to love and sexuality amusing, her actions were reasonable (or at least I don't remember anything strange) and maybe a female character made me some way more comfortable like you said (although this would be more of an unconscious effect).

Why I said that Safu was the reason I watched the show, is because that from the beginning, it is clear that the show is about Shion and Nezumi and their relationship. Still, we have this third character and we know that her feelings will not be reciprocated. That made me want to know what is going to happen to her.

This brings me to the topic of fandom. [...]

In No. 6 it is clear that Safu has no chance, and she should be more like pitied for it. Still she is hated because "she gets in the way of their relationship", even if she never does that. The amount of people who wanted an innocent, even if fictional, character dead made uncomfortable.

I fully understand your sentiments with "fans wanting X character to die". It honestly creeps me out at times how some people takes this hobby way too far. It's almost as though they use it to vent out their frustrations without worrying about the consequence or the implications of their actions. I'm sure few people might joke "oh, I wish fictional character so-so would bite the dust" but even then, the implications behind the statement can cause other people to worry.

I asked mainly out of curiosity. Sometimes I'll watch a show just for a specific character as well & I figured that's how other people might watch some shows they typically wouldn't approach. Thanks for the reply. ^__^

Gwydion wrote:

[...] After a great first two episodes, the third ruined any interest I had in the plot itself spoiler[(parasitic bees? really? I was hoping for things like government conspiracies)][...]

This goes back to the pacing problem of the series (and maybe the writing as well). The parasite bees spoiler[ispart of the conspiracy.]

Since you dropped it around ep. 7, long story-short: spoiler[The people in charge of No.6 allowed the scientist to use either citizens in the city or outside (aka the West Block) for experimentation at the Correctional Facility. There goal was to find the next host for Elyurias, the bee (actually a "spiritual") goddess from Nezumi's tribe (which had been massacred from the No.6 scientist who wanted to find the goodness). ]

Why? spoiler[Because they needed to find a new host (in this case, Safu) to bring forth Elyurias and use "her" powers.]

Why? spoiler[Umm...to take over the world maybe? Like I said, the show doesn't really explain that well.]
I wished the series was a few episodes longer so that it could explain certain parts better, but I still like what I got. Including those voice actor commentaries!

Oh, and the whole "seme/uke" thing is purely subjective. If they were sexually active, I'm sure they wouldn't mind taking turns.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:47 pm Reply with quote
But Keichitsu0305, what you're ignoring is that there is a goddess bee thing in the first place. It's just really, really stupid, and should never have happened in a Science Fiction story.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
But Keichitsu0305, what you're ignoring is that there is a goddess bee thing in the first place. It's just really, really stupid, and should never have happened in a Science Fiction story.

It's been a while since I've seen No 6, but I remember not liking the way the whole bee plot was implemented. Definitely wasn't a big fan of the later parts of the series. Despite that, I disagree with your point here.

There's nothing inherently stupid about a nature goddess having the form of some creature from nature, such as a bee. And there's nothing wrong with a story containing both sci-fi and fanstasy/supernatural elements. I can see someone arguing against a story that appears at the start to be pure sci-fi or fantasy introducing elements of the other later on, but even that isn't a problem if handled well.

It just wasn't handled well in No 6, along with a lot of other things near the end.
Cerceaux

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:05 pm Reply with quote
This show was alright, but the story just didn't do it for me. I kept waiting for the mind-blowing secret behind No. 6 to be revealed only to get spoiler[a Blue Gender style "nature's revenge" letdown.] Rolling Eyes
Also a couple of the BGM tracks were really awful.

On the positive side, I thought it looked nice overall, and had some interesting characters. Catchy OP too.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I appreciate the candid response to my inquiry. Though personally I believe these kind of concepts will always be regulated to niche titles just like incest and loli titles.

Edit: I actually like 07 Ghost more despite it being a shoujo show, though I would argue its closer to Saiyuki which I would not consider shoujo. I mean the only thing that really makes them seem shoujo are all the bishounen, but take that away and they are faux religious, semi political action fantasy titles.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:46 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

True.
So true.
...And the truth hurts, dtm42.

Seeing a magical goddess (in bee form or otherwise) in a science fiction show is as bizzare as, say, seeing a giant mecha in a fantasy show.

I understand. The "bee" was also in the light novel so I supposed the writers and/or director wanted to keep that element in. Unfortunately, in agreement with Mad_Scientist, it wasn't written in well.

But, then again, how can anyone take a giant bee seriously?

Especially whenspoiler[it brings dead people back to lifea la Deus Ex Machina with a little bit of Disney Death for good measure.] >__>
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
Seeing a magical goddess (in bee form or otherwise) in a science fiction show is as bizzare as, say, seeing a giant mecha in a fantasy show.

Not at all. A giant psychic bee goddess is a huge stretch for a Sci-Fi show set on Earth. Whereas a giant suit of armour that has clear Portuguese and other European influences and which is powered by a dragon soul is not a stretch for a Fantasy show set on another world.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I too made it to about episode 6 or 7, where Rat is shown to be a huge turd. The other characters did not interest me, and I kind of had a feeling that not much would be answered satisfyingly storywise.
I would let others pioneer the ending and see if the trip was worth making.
For me it was not.
midnighteve

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:

Why? spoiler[Umm...to take over the world maybe? Like I said, the show doesn't really explain that well.]
I wished the series was a few episodes longer so that it could explain certain parts better, but I still like what I got. Including those voice actor commentaries!

Oh, and the whole "seme/uke" thing is purely subjective. If they were sexually active, I'm sure they wouldn't mind taking turns.

I remember the random scientists mentioning spoiler[that they were going to try and harness the goddess's power in order to try and restore more of the land into a habitable state (and then probably take over the world! LoL)]

And both Rat and Sion displayed both troupes of seme/uke stuff, so I think switching off isn't too far fetched lol

And to the point where the mysticism seemed to have come out of nowhere, it seemed like Rat's tribe as a whole was quite magical. Rat had that magical singing voice after all that had the ability to pass someone's soul off to the other side. Not only did I see the two coming from different worlds in terms of where they lived, but also that Sion came from a world of science and Rat, of magic.

Generally speaking, if you just watch the anime with no background information (like I did), a lot of the plot and motivation can be interpreted with enough imagination. It was like a game of connect the dots and I liked the feeling that I wasn't force-fed the plot. (Though I can understand not everyone looks for that sort of thing when watching anime...) Not to digress too much, but I had that feeling again with the complaints about Sword Art Online...maybe I'm just better at picking up the subtle details? Anime smile + sweatdrop
maaya

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote
ah, reading this thread reminds me of how bad No. 6 actually was. I erased most of it from my memory. 2011 was a pretty weak year for noitamina ...

CrownKlown wrote:
(...)I would not consider shoujo. I mean the only thing that really makes them seem shoujo are all the bishounen, but take that away and they are faux religious, semi political action fantasy titles.

Isn't it great that Japan actually produces some series for girls that aren't primarily romance stories? Doesn't make them any less "originally intended for female readers", but does add more of a crossover appeal.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

There's nothing inherently stupid about a nature goddess having the form of some creature from nature, such as a bee. And there's nothing wrong with a story containing both sci-fi and fanstasy/supernatural elements. I can see someone arguing against a story that appears at the start to be pure sci-fi or fantasy introducing elements of the other later on, but even that isn't a problem if handled well.

See also: Entropy in Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:31 pm Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
I don't know. A giant psychic apocalypse wasp sounds kind of awesome. I haven't seen the show, though, so maybe it loses something in the execution.

Problem is, the so called apocalypse occurs and resolves itself within a few minutes of the final episode.

I give the show a lot of initial credit for an interesting start but it only dragged its feet like Fractale all the way until its finale. You would thing that a show with a finished source material would actually be adapted properly.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:05 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:

I think that is where a lot of people (guys) started to nitpick about everything else actually, and started reminding us how female viewers are ruining anime. Rolling Eyes

I for one, despite thinking the show completely fell to pieces, appreciate that it didn't try to hide Shion and Nezumi's relationship. There should be more stuff like this, for both males and females.

This was of course followed up a season or so later by Black Rock Shooter, which was just as hilariously gay. So equal time and all.

So agree with BRS Anime hyper
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:49 am Reply with quote
@ dtm42: Way off-topic. I understand a little bit about the European designs for Escaflowne's suit of armor but I'm having difficulty understanding the Portuguese influences. Did you mean the style of the Dragon or something else entirely?
midnighteve wrote:

I remember the random scientists mentioning spoiler[that they were going to try and harness the goddess's power in order to try and restore more of the land into a habitable state (and then probably take over the world! LoL)]
[...]l
And to the point where the mysticism seemed to have come out of nowhere, it seemed like Rat's tribe as a whole was quite magical. Rat had that magical singing voice after all that had the ability to pass someone's soul off to the other side. Not only did I see the two coming from different worlds in terms of where they lived, but also that Sion came from a world of science and Rat, of magic.

Generally speaking, if you just watch the anime with no background information (like I did), a lot of the plot and motivation can be interpreted with enough imagination. It was like a game of connect the dots and I liked the feeling that I wasn't force-fed the plot. (Though I can understand not everyone looks for that sort of thing when watching anime...) [...]maybe I'm just better at picking up the subtle details? Anime smile + sweatdrop

Now I remember...maybe. Wasn't when Safu was inside that tube thing later on in the show?

Nezumi's tribe (have you guys notice that I refuse to call him Rat?) was magical (or rather more spiritual/in tune with nature) than the citizens within the technologically advanced city (whom, if I recall correctly, did not have much access to the arts/music). Which, going back to "the bee", doesn't make the use of magic "completely" silly; just very hard to swallow in a Sci-Fi show.

Actually I did watch the show without reading the novels (I do that all the time); I just didn't like the anime ending & was curious how the original LNs went. Subtle details are a hit or a miss with me. Sometimes I'll notice them the first time, otherwise I have to watch the show all over again to pick it up.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:49 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I mean realistically speaking its a dark sci fi action. This is primarily a male demographic

How you get that? The novels was published under Kodansha's Ya!Entertainment, that's the Young Adult book imprint, the manga is shojo (published through Koda's Aria shojo magazine). This series wasn't made to be a male demographic. If goign off by the original source, it's neutral gender. But I found the series to be more for females, I personally have it under josei.

And I love the series, well worth he $50 I spent on it at the only store in my town that has anime to buy. Watch the BD very often, glad Sentai got it dubbed. Though, honestly wished they didn't bloody get Greg for Sion's voice (get sick of the man's annoying scratchy voice), but I do love Rat's voice and enjoy that it was a VA that had few roles before.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4