• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dance in the Vampire Bund (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:53 am Reply with quote
Personaly I liked the inclusion of spoiler[Prez and boy], I am hapy they did not just throw them away. Though I guess it is a bit on the "vampire is not an excuse" side, but not really much different from many harem shows, in fact he practicly looked the part in the pool scene. Mentioning the pool scene I was a bit taken a back by Mina's open talk of spoiler[wishing she could have sex with Akira, though her saying she was happy about the was her body was (presuming because it is why she met Akira), was cute.]

It was kind of odd with the suden ray of light.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:24 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Mentioning the pool scene I was a bit taken a back by Mina's open talk of spoiler[wishing she could have sex with Akira, though her saying she was happy about the was her body was (presuming because it is why she met Akira), was cute.]

It's a personal desire she has which would be impossible to have spoiler[thanks to their differences in age spans and positions. Mina being vampire queen and him being a simple guardian is a major burden that she is well aware of, but she still has such desires being a centuries-old vampire girl in love.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mister V

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I'd wager that werewolves have longer lifespans than usual humans. So maybe she'll get Akira when he's more like his father, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, you know.
But yeah, that was a surprisingly sincere moment.

I really wonder if this show has any reason to continue into a second season. It doesn't stand out much. There's no hype over it. It looks like it'll join the ranks of the semi-forgotten. Unless it sells really well, but it's really not Bakemonogatari.
garfield15

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:57 pm Reply with quote
This post talks a little about the manga.

-Oh hi, random censors. When did you get here?

-Ah, so that's why Meiren's there. spoiler[Okay. Now this is making a little more sense. They obviously wouldn't have had enough time in two episodes to cover the detective guy so they introduced Meiren to...okay, I get it now.....That's actually quite ingenious. That being said....

BULLSH*T! I was looking forward to Kamen Rider Detective dude!]

-This episode was giving me mixed emotions. The first part was like "ugh, that never happened. Looks like their ending it with some filler crud." Then the second part was like "Oh snap, this is the best arc of the manga! They've actually planned this out." Then I saw spoiler[Kamen Rider dude with breasts and my hopes just died. Still, I'm surprised like in general that they're even doing the previous arc as it like just finished.]

-The preview made me laugh so hard, I watched it like three times.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Mister V wrote:
I really wonder if this show has any reason to continue into a second season. It doesn't stand out much. There's no hype over it. It looks like it'll join the ranks of the semi-forgotten. Unless it sells really well, but it's really not Bakemonogatari.

There wouldn't be enough material from the manga to make a second season for a while if it does happen. There's only 35 chapters out right now (and still ongoing) as of this post and the anime's incorporating nearly all the chapters that are out right now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tarheel91

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:31 am Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
Mentioning the pool scene I was a bit taken a back by Mina's open talk of spoiler[wishing she could have sex with Akira, though her saying she was happy about the was her body was (presuming because it is why she met Akira), was cute.]

It's a personal desire she has which would be impossible to have spoiler[thanks to their differences in age spans and positions. Mina being vampire queen and him being a simple guardian is a major burden that she is well aware of, but she still has such desires being a centuries-old vampire girl in love.]

Seriously, guys? They laid out the issue pretty clearly, if you'd bothered to pay attention. spoiler[The issue has nothing to do with age difference or a difference of position. As the only pure-blooded female vampire, Mina is required to marry a pure-blooded male vampire in order to ensure that there is a next generation of pure-bloods. Thus, she can't be with Akira. Her immature body allows her to claim that's she's incapable of conception, and thus remain unmarried and able to spend time with Akria. If anyone were to find out about her mature, transformed self, she'd be screwed.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:16 am Reply with quote
tarheel91 wrote:

Seriously, guys? They laid out the issue pretty clearly, if you'd bothered to pay attention.

Thank you, I like being told that I did not pay enough attention when I just decided to highlight a specific thought I had when I was watching, I said nothing that I did not understand, I would have to have been sleeping to miss it at the end of the episode. And I am sure Ggultra2764 is just as happy being told he was not paying enough attention when he just decided to give a shortened version.

I am really hopeing this won't be all, I quite like the ideas of powerfull vampire behind the guise of a little girl (simular to in Negima).
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:07 am Reply with quote
tarheel91 wrote:
spoiler[The issue has nothing to do with age difference or a difference of position. As the only pure-blooded female vampire, Mina is required to marry a pure-blooded male vampire in order to ensure that there is a next generation of pure-bloods. Thus, she can't be with Akira. Her immature body allows her to claim that's she's incapable of conception, and thus remain unmarried and able to spend time with Akria. If anyone were to find out about her mature, transformed self, she'd be screwed.]

And of course, spoiler[her body is capable of only producing one new offspring. But I fail to see how this would create preservation of the pure-bloods anyway since the next generation wouldn't have anyone pure-blooded to even mate with if there's only three other pure-blooded males and one female. Laughing ]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:30 pm Reply with quote
There appaently also seemed some talk that spoiler[they can actually age, although slowly, so I wonder if she is going to eventually hit puberty and have to go through puberty for several hundred(?) years. Sounds Sounds pretty harsh. It has often bothered me in vampire movies that the older looking ones are typicly the wiser more politicaly important, when they should be imortal and physical appearance be of little importance.]

@ Ggultra2764
Well it is a royal family line Wink
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:55 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
There appaently also seemed some talk that spoiler[they can actually age, although slowly, so I wonder if she is going to eventually hit puberty and have to go through puberty for several hundred(?) years.]

spoiler[From the impression I got, Mina's adult form is supposed to be her true form while she takes on the form of a child to prevent having to conceive a child and be subservient to whomever mates with her as she wants to retain her authority to guide the vampire race in a settled area and prevent their prejudice from humanity.]
tarheel91

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:34 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
tarheel91 wrote:

Seriously, guys? They laid out the issue pretty clearly, if you'd bothered to pay attention.

Thank you, I like being told that I did not pay enough attention when I just decided to highlight a specific thought I had when I was watching, I said nothing that I did not understand, I would have to have been sleeping to miss it at the end of the episode. And I am sure Ggultra2764 is just as happy being told he was not paying enough attention when he just decided to give a shortened version.

I am really hopeing this won't be all, I quite like the ideas of powerfull vampire behind the guise of a little girl (simular to in Negima).

Here's what you said:
"spoiler[though her saying she was happy about the was her body was (presuming because it is why she met Akira), was cute]."

That's wrong. spoiler[She said she's happy because her body being the way it is let's her be with Akira. Her body being that of a child has nothing to do with the way she met Akira; I doubt that meeting would have gone any different had she been grown up. However, her body being that of a child has everything to do with why she can STILL be with Akira despite the requirement that she wed one of these pure-bloods.]

I apologize for telling you you weren't paying enough attention if that offends you, but you weren't.

Ggultra then said this:

spoiler[It's a personal desire she has which would be impossible to have spoiler[thanks to their differences in age spans and positions. Mina being vampire queen and him being a simple guardian is a major burden that she is well aware of, but she still has such desires being a centuries-old vampire girl in love.]

That is not accurate either, as I explained in the first post. spoiler[The forbidden nature of their relationship has nothing to do with age difference or servant vs. master. It has everything to do with her requirement to wed and bear the child of a pure-blood.]
Mister V

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:45 am Reply with quote
Well now. Some of that dialogue is exceptionally cliché ("He said he will return and survive!" - hell, I'd like to see a show where he'd say "Screw this, I'm outta here"), but nevertheless they substantially darken the mood, and it works well. Some of the moments are bloody awesome, and I sense more ass-kicking coming next week.
Also, aspirin <3

The question is - why do they reveal all of this spontaneously at the very end of the series. So the main conflict definitely goes unresolved, and the end will be something like "you defeated us this time, but we're going to come back at the end of the next season!" Are they hoping to make a second one then?
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:04 pm Reply with quote
^ Given that the show sells well enough to warrant a second season.

I think the problem lies more in the fact that SHAFT completely screwed up the timing in the series. Trying to do several arcs in a single 12(13?)-episode anime, and giving the more interesting of the two arcs less screentime. It can oly either go unresolved or be completely rushed at this point, but I'm not sure that's intentional...

Frankly, I'd rather prefer to see the opening arc reduced to 3-4 episodes or so, given that it dragged a lot and was essentially just an intro to the series. After that, let the "one year after establishment" thingy roll in and work out the character relationships and action awesomeness.

Or maybe just give each arc its own 12 eps. Just replace the inconsequential school kid troubles with some real stuff, like what we've seen in the last few eps.
Wu Ming

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Mister V wrote:
The question is - why do they reveal all of this spontaneously at the very end of the series. So the main conflict definitely goes unresolved, and the end will be something like "you defeated us this time, but we're going to come back at the end of the next season!" Are they hoping to make a second one then?

I'm sure they are hoping, but the plot changes (vs. the manga) to the last story arc seems to indicate they are hedging their bets.

In the case of the manga, the writer can return to the whole "3 Clans" issue whenever he feels like it. Just in case Dance as an anime tanked in the ratings, they could end the series with some sort of closure.

But spoiler[the addition of Mei Ran (and her replacement of Seiji) plus the added mystery of the "secret of Tepest Castle"/Missing Memories seems to imply that the folks writing the anime are going in a different direction. So there may not be a scheduled "return of the 3 bad dudes."

We've been teased with the idea that the secret is something so terrible/horrible that it may cause a rupture in our little "true couple's" relationship - so much so that secondary characters are willing to switch sides to join the 3 Clans depending on what Akira's reaction is.

Which could only mean - its something baaddd. ]
Mr. Gruntsworthy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Just got started on this anime tonight; in the middle of episode 3, actually.

I must say, I'm quite impressed over what I was expecting. Then again, that could probably be from my lack of research before heading into this anime in the first place.

edit:

Im on episode 6, and the cinematic style is really starting to irritate me; what with the constant extreme-close ups of their eyes and other oblique, strange camera shots. It started off as refreshing, but it's like they're trying too hard and putting waaaay too much of this in the anime, and as such feels like it's getting in the way of the story and characters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12