• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dance in the Vampire Bund (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:27 am Reply with quote
Azureth wrote:
So I've just started to watch it and currently on ep 6, Did they censor/cut anything?

Some of it seems kind of weird like you see what looks to be quick cuts of solid colors like red/yellow.

It depends on where you watched it. Funimation's stream did a fair amount of censoring for a few of the episodes. DVDs were not though.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Azureth wrote:
So I've just started to watch it and currently on ep 6, Did they censor/cut anything?

Some of it seems kind of weird like you see what looks to be quick cuts of solid colors like red/yellow.

The animation studio behind the series, Shaft, is quite well known for their unique style of animation that they put into many of their titles and normally add bizarre art styles to convey some sort of symbolism within their titles (been a while since I seen Vampire Bund so I can't recall everything about its visuals offhand). They are also infamous for not having episodes of some of their popular titles fully complete in time for their televised airing as Vampire Bund's TV airing had black screens placed over certain shots of key scenes because they weren't fully animated in time for their scheduled airing. This has also happened with Bakemonogatari and their recent work, Puella Magi Madoka Magica. The episodes wind up being fully animated for their video releases.

As for content edits as far as I know, the series did do quite a bit of censoring for its TV airing over nudity and some fan service shots found in later episodes of the series where scenes of nudity were darkened over. For example, spoiler[one female character later in the show whose nipples were visible through her wet clothing got censored] and spoiler[Mina's transformation into her adult form got a bright color palette applied to it to censor the nudity from it.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Azureth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Well, I watched it on Netflix.
Veers

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Azureth wrote:

As noted, the quick cuts are SHAFT being SHAFT, and also as noted, I don't think SHAFT being SHAFT did VB as many favors as SHAFT being SHAFT has done for other things, like Zetsubou Sensei, ef - a tale of memories, Bakemonogatari, and, to an extent, Madoka.

As for the question itself, yes, the original TV version and the version on Funi's channel were, from what I saw, censored (the latter far more heavily than the former). The DVD/BD version is not censored (any more than SHAFT censored it to begin with); this is made most obvious in the later episode (I forget the number) where Mina spoiler[gets naked and fights with Akira].

Ggultra2764 wrote:
This has also happened with Bakemonogatari and their recent work, Puella Magi Madoka Magica. The episodes wind up being fully animated for their video releases.
I'm aware of several parts of Bakemonogatari, especially one of the "fights" in the second half, that were really rushed (snake/monkey episodes, IIRC), but I don't know of any such major cuts in Madoka; what parts are you referring to? Compared to Bakemonogatari, Madoka came off the presses in great shape. The changes seen on the DVD/BD releases are enhancements, not place-holder fill-ins (with the possible exception of those couple seconds of Kyoko's battle animation being reused in episode 5).
Azureth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
Azureth wrote:

As noted, the quick cuts are SHAFT being SHAFT, and also as noted, I don't think SHAFT being SHAFT did VB as many favors as SHAFT being SHAFT has done for other things, like Zetsubou Sensei, ef - a tale of memories, Bakemonogatari, and, to an extent, Madoka.

As for the question itself, yes, the original TV version and the version on Funi's channel were, from what I saw, censored (the latter far more heavily than the former). The DVD/BD version is not censored (any more than SHAFT censored it to begin with); this is made most obvious in the later episode (I forget the number) where Mina spoiler[gets naked and fights with Akira].

Ggultra2764 wrote:
This has also happened with Bakemonogatari and their recent work, Puella Magi Madoka Magica. The episodes wind up being fully animated for their video releases.
I'm aware of several parts of Bakemonogatari, especially one of the "fights" in the second half, that were really rushed (snake/monkey episodes, IIRC), but I don't know of any such major cuts in Madoka; what parts are you referring to? Compared to Bakemonogatari, Madoka came off the presses in great shape. The changes seen on the DVD/BD releases are enhancements, not place-holder fill-ins (with the possible exception of those couple seconds of Kyoko's battle animation being reused in episode 5).

spoiler[Yeah on Netflix it showed her boobs clearly and everything, along with the whole "rubbing the lotion scene".]
Angelus Stellae

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:28 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Of course, there is the whole point that there was no need to use gel so close to sunset; they could have just waited a little longer. Furthermore, even if she needed gel, he put it on parts of her body that her clothes would cover up anyway. So why did he put gel on her body at all? Why did he not just put it on her hands and face?

Because this was fanservice, plain and simple. And you can't deny it no matter which side of the "Is this Lolicon" debate you are on.

By the way, I liked episode one. Well, apart from the guy turning into a lizard; vampires turn into bats, not reptiles. Or spiders for that matter.

Do clothes fully absorb the sun's light? I feel like there's more to it than just fan service.

Actually, I like its deviation from society's conception of vampires. In the original Dracula story, Count Dracula actually had the power to turn into various animals, including a wolf.
Angelus Stellae

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Skylark wrote:
I wasn't even close to trying to single you out as a person who would get off over this, what I meant by that is whatever makes you feel better about having seen it. I know I feel pretty dirty for even having witnessed it. I'm not calling anyone a pedophile and I find it hard to believe anyone could get off over this, but go read the related articles on sankaku complex; people have and are.

Having read those articles though, I am going to drop this series right now. It's manga source is worse than this with the whole 11 year old naked vampire thing, and apparently the anime is supposed to progress from here, so I'm out.

The franchise may be riddled with sexual connotations but they're not pedophiliac. Mina is not 11 years old, despite her appearance. She's hundreds of years older than Akira. If anything, Mina's a cougar with the ability to physically age very slowly.

There is more to pedophilia than just no grass on the field. Pedophiles yearn worship and submissiveness which is why they go after children in the first place. Generally, pedophiles would not go after a washboard with Mina's psychological profile, they're too cowardly for her. They'd feel insecure around her.
Key

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:14 pm Reply with quote
You do realize that you're responding to posts that are close to 3 years old, right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angelus Stellae

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:50 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
You do realize that you're responding to posts that are close to 3 years old, right?

Yeah, but I thought the point was worth making.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 12 of 12