• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - River City Revival

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:25 am Reply with quote
From the screenshot, I'd guess Xenoblade is based on famous battles that actually took place in ancient Japan.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:04 am Reply with quote
I still have both Lunar 1 & 2 for my Playstation. Remember them quite fondly. Loved all the extra features that came with them, especially the voice acting bloopers at the end. Been so long since I played either of them now.

I'm tempted to get a PSP just to see how different this version is from its predecessor. But I keep putting off Persona 4 for the longest time. Next thing I know, Persona 5 will be out in the US before I know it.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:27 am Reply with quote
Looking forward to the 'Lunar' remake. Now I just have to get a PSP. It will be good to give this classic a spin again. Now with new improved graphics. In my mind it will make for the SUCKITUDE GBA release. I've played them all mind you. So right now I'm waiting for my copy which will be here next week.

Man, why do they keep adding to SFIV? I thought they had all the characters set. The game is already months old now. But good to see 'Ibuki' make a comeback. I bought 'DB Origins' and have yet to play. Didn't know there was a 'DB Origins 2'. I better get started so I have a reason to pick up 2.

ONE MILLION TON NO BARA BARA, from the clips on YT it looks very intriguing. Love the design work. This is what games should be more about creativity.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Alas, poor Spike Spencer. The man just doesn't get any respect.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Being a proud owner of Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete, and seeing the new remake does NOT include translations by Working Designs, I think I can give it a pass without losing any sleep over the decision.

"Not Ghaleon. MAGIC! EMPEROR! GHALEON!"
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:29 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I too am concerned to hear comparison's being made to FFXII.

John Casey wrote:
As I recall, gambits were an option...

The battles were so simple and so repetitive though that turning gambits off was actually more tedious. If I wanted to perform an endless series of repetitive tasks that require no thinking or skill I would get a job.
Yeah, we get it. You hate FF12. And we're telling you to turn the default options off before you play the game. It's still a good Final Fantasy. Like an English dub default on a hybrid DVD, you must turn the training wheels off to get to the good part.

Get ready for 13, that shit is a linear/eyecandy/RPG with training wheels (only thirteen chapters) that is suited for their (now-a days) targeted audience. The game is good and bad. Imo I don't want more of it.

FeralKat wrote:
Excited for the Lunar release, mostly because it this does well... we might get the same treatment for Grandia I. Anime cry I want that so bad. The dub is so atrocious that it actually deters me from replaying it too often. Laughing
What? Replaying the port to PSX or the original Saturn version? Both were hideous. Very Happy

I owned a PSP when they first came out. I waited and waited, but no games came out for it. Only UMD movies. So I sold it. I would love to play through this new incarnation of Lunar, but I would never own PSP again. I'm a systems collector so I'll eventually get it again, but let me tell you. It's a terrible system.

Does this Lunar follow the original Sega-CD script? or is it a remake of the remake. Judging from the screen shots since Nash and Luna are on the same screen, it's going to be the remake-remake.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Funny that person should mention Grandia. It's going to be up on the US PlayStation Store this Thursday for $10, playable on PSP and PS3.

And One Million Ton Barabara is confirmed to be coming to North America as Patchwork Heroes. As Todd assumed as much, it'll likely be ignored once it hits the PlayStation Store exclusively this spring.

Shadowrun20XX wrote:

I owned a PSP when they first came out. I waited and waited, but no games came out for it. Only UMD movies. So I sold it. I would love to play through this new incarnation of Lunar, but I would never own PSP again. I'm a systems collector so I'll eventually get it again, but let me tell you. It's a terrible system.

You're daft if you think the PSP has no games, either that, or you don't like games. This year alone, its lineup smokes every other platform, not many can say that this year they're getting the next Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (which is actually MGS5), Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep (which is actually KH:Zero), Valkyria Chronicles 2, etc. And the handheld has a great backlog of games in every genre. It's true that compared to the DS, it's catalogue of games is tiny, but compared to the consoles of today, thing is deep.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Sgt. Frog: Well all things considered, Namco loves to cameo stuff in their games all the time. It's no surprise they would do that. Tales of Hearts and Tales of Vesperia PS3 had tons of them left and right. Calling them into combat for assist moves just seems to be their thing. And I find it interesting that the Legend of Valkyrie has as many fans as it does. When most people hear Valkyrie these days, they always associate it with Profile. We never rightfully got LoV and despite the fact her presence in Namco x Capcom was a strong one, she honestly does not get enough love. Japan knows how to appreciate their old school characters.

Xenoblade: Well, comparisons to FF12 aside, the story and world setting definitely sounds like something out of mythology, except the ancient Greeks and Romans wouldn't know what machines are. I have hope for this one.

Lunar: Regardless of how much or how little has changed, I'm still getting this. I have tons of RPGs on my PSP, but except for very few of them, they can't keep me playing them after beating the story once. I don't think I'll ever be replaying Dragoneer's Aria again and I think Blade Dancer is going on my list of "just too boring to keep me going". It's Lunar, and no one can talk about the bygone era of PS1 RPGs without bringing this baby up. I for one am rightfully excited to play this. The only PSP RPGs that even keep me replaying is Jeanne D'Arc, Spectral Souls and Persona.

Last edited by belvadeer on Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
MetatronM

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I've never ever understood complaints about the FF XII battle system. It's the exact same ATB system as every other FF other than X, only with the spamming the A button to attack standard enemies disabled.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
You're daft if you think the PSP has no games, either that, or you don't like games. This year alone, its lineup smokes every other platform, not many can say that this year they're getting the next Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (which is actually MGS5), Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep (which is actually KH:Zero), Valkyria Chronicles 2, etc. And the handheld has a great backlog of games in every genre. It's true that compared to the DS, it's catalogue of games is tiny, but compared to the consoles of today, thing is deep.
Yeah, uhhh. There were no games for it in the first year it was out, pal. Of course there are games now. Five years later. And if you really look at all the games worth owning on the PSP, you gotta realize by now that you are playing the same damn crap over and over again. Enjoy the six hours of battery charge, before having to find an outlet. Very Happy PSP is one of the most pirated POS on the market, and it's odd to me that they would even try to release LUNAR here again. Daft, no I'm a collector. I own every version of Lunar. From the Sega-CD ones up to the magic school on Saturn. I want to own this new one , but I'd have to get a new PSP to do that.

Listen, I don't condemn the games or the players, it's the garbage hardware I have the problem with. But, I've gots to pick one up for my collection eventually.
The Nagabuchi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Tried this at the AoU Show last week. The 3D was great but I just dont think that its well suited to MGS Onlines style of play.
Theres a more indepth discussion over at the new Out-cast:

http://theoutcastpodcast.blogspot.com/2010/02/out-cast-episode-02.html
Shale

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Tenebrae wrote:
Being a proud owner of Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete, and seeing the new remake does NOT include translations by Working Designs, I think I can give it a pass without losing any sleep over the decision.

"Not Ghaleon. MAGIC! EMPEROR! GHALEON!"

Working Designs doesn't exist anymore. The test is how it's written, not who's writing it.

(Also, I love SSSC, but I've played that game. A lot. No need to reuse the same script I've read so many times before.)
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:54 am Reply with quote
Hell Yes,Super Dodge ball and River City Ransom were two of my fav games in Technos's(which the company is now bankrupt) Kunio Kun franchise

but anyway,I remember the Kunio Kun series's first developer Technos which they were best know for they're Double Dragon franchise,but now we have Akyss Games doing the franchise.

and of course who could ever forget the more obscored GBA Super dodgeball and the GBA remake River city ransome EX which they published here in america by Atlus.
Bell02

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:44 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
if Xenoblade has a battle system like FFXII, then no thank you. It's game, it's meant to be PLAYED not WATCHED.

That's a weak argument as anyone who's really played FFXII knows that there isn't a way to set up the gambits among the three characters and then beat the game without doing anything else.

Most of the time you are trying to manage among three characters, so making them heal themselves is a lot more useful then how tedious it would be without it, not to mention the time saved from the transition animations of entering and exiting battles is a lot gained from a sacrifice of potentially making everything automatic (which a lot of more traditional Japanese RPGs do already)
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:08 am Reply with quote
Whoa, I'm really digging the art style for 1 Million Ton no Bara Bara. It reminds me of the works of John Korty. It's...like as if he were in charge of the art for a video game, though I know he's a cut-paper purist. I was immediately thinking of Korty's movie, Twice Upon a Time, arguably the most well-known animated film no one's heard of.

The visual style in this game is more angular and geometric though, as opposed to Korty's purposefully chaotic and messy style.

gatotsu911 wrote:
Alas, poor Spike Spencer. The man just doesn't get any respect.

He did a superb job as Arakune in BlazBlue, if you ask me. I hope roles like those will allow him to get out of being typecast as wimpy guys like Shinji Ikari, Hanataro Yamada, or Rolo (whatever his last name is).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3