• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ōkami-san & Her Seven Companions (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mister V

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:06 am Reply with quote
For quality satire you go to Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei. And these "skewed" characters are skewed in a non-original way.

Hayate was more parody than satire. If this show successfully continues to parody fairy tales (the best part of this episode), then it could be worth watching.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:56 am Reply with quote
Well I was looking forward to this, I will say it is not completly up to my expectations yet, but I think that might be that it is setting up the plot, pluss quite a bit were very simular to the preview. I enjoy the narrator's voice, kind of a funny comparison having Kuroko's voice instead insulting the tsundere and girls with flat chests. The male lead is a complete coward in areas, but I actually find it a bit refreshing, especially how we saw him spoiler[work up the courage to confess to her and jump in the way. They say that true courage is doing something, even though you are terrified, so he actually has balls.]

I don't think I can come up with another character who uses boxing, so what if tsunderes are done to death, this one gives off a scary vibe, which is cool and funny since her dangerous weapons are so cute. She may look like Taiga, but this Ookami is way hotter, and the whole wolf simularities add to the charm. For the fairy tale paroding, well what they did with Cynderella was funny enough, especially with what others are mentioning.

As for the rest, I will have to wait to see.
tankerboy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Mister V wrote:
For quality satire you go to Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei. And these "skewed" characters are skewed in a non-original way.

Hayate was more parody than satire. If this show successfully continues to parody fairy tales (the best part of this episode), then it could be worth watching.

You're right it really is more parody than satire. I don't recall a Shana/Hinagiku mix nor a glasses girl disguised as a loli but then one never can see all anime so I'm sure they're out there someplace. Since I'm in the Hayate1 camp I certainly do hope the parodies and attendant nonsense continues and pray that it just doesn't stray into predictable wackiness which as we've seen so many times before is all too easy to do.
The Dreaming Void

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:50 pm Reply with quote
i'd have to agree with everyone. All of the characters were very cliche, generic, etc.
The Narrator's voice was like nails scraping over a blackboard *shudders*, and fine. spoiler[You can make the typical flat chest joke once, and ookami's response had me amused for a bit. But the same joke? Three time in a row!?] Seriously, that response made it even worse. The pumpkin part was awesome though. spoiler[Kick in the face, hell yeah! and the thing after the credits was fun as well. "Kick me!" "KICK ME!" "KICK ME EVEN MORE!", seriously, that guy got kicked in the face far too much for him to still be okay...]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I liked it. Neko Neko Knuckles alone justifies the existence of the show. I love me some tsundere...give me an anime chick with a scowl on her face and I'm happier than a pig in poop. This is going to be a nice little fun bit of fluff for the summer for me.
OtakuExile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm jealous Blood- that you can find anything entertaining in this show. Unfortunatly I've watched anime for about 3/4 of your lifetime, this show is an undenied mixed bag of multiple past shows.

I'm envious. I really miss finding things like this fresh, or at least watchable. EX: How's your sub reading coming along?
garfield15

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:41 pm Reply with quote
OtakuExile wrote:
I'm jealous Blood- that you can find anything entertaining in this show. Unfortunatly I've watched anime for about 3/4 of your lifetime, this show is an undenied mixed bag of multiple past shows.

I'm envious. I really miss finding things like this fresh, or at least watchable. EX: How's your sub reading coming along?

Is there a reason why you're always talking down on people in these posts? And what does that "how's your sub reading coming along" have anything to do with this topic?
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Mister V wrote:
If this show successfully continues to parody fairy tales (the best part of this episode), then it could be worth watching.

I agree completely. spoiler[The whole Cinderella "Kick me!" thing] made me chuckle.
Personally, this seems like the kind of show that I'll watch to kill time in between other shows that I'm enjoying much more. Not bad, entertaining, but not very memorable. I just hope they don't continue to over-use the boob jokes as this episode did, as that will get very old very quick.

GeminiDS85 wrote:
I just watched the first episode of this and Amagami SS, and let me put it this way, the generic characters of Okami-san are light years ahead of those in Amagami SS.

Oh snaps, I also completely agree with this! But I'll stop myself from ranting about Amagami SS's first episode in this thread.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:23 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
OtakuExile wrote:

Is there a reason why you're always talking down on people in these posts? And what does that "how's your sub reading coming along" have anything to do with this topic?

Relax, I really don't think that was his/her intention. Remember, this is the internet and what is said, isn't always meant to be offensive.

Though I am like OtakuExile in some sense, I have a feeling I will drop this show as well. There is practically nothing original and I've seen the characters several times before.
OtakuExile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:03 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 : It was a quick question for Blood- good sir. I know who he is, and didn't feel like using private message. You strangely sound offended? What up? Laughing
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't offended by OtakuExile's post...just a little mystified. I'm not sure why you are asking about my sub reading.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:18 pm Reply with quote
I dread the day that I can't find entertainment in watching a new show like this, maybe becaus I really like the cliche's present in these type of shows. You know what, I find it hard enough being pressured to have the same tastes as others, and I will explicitly say that I much rather watch something like this then like House of 5 leaves or like Yojo-han Shinwa which I found complete bore fests.

I might be a 19 year old who has only been in anime for a few years, but I look forward to these type of shows each season.
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:40 pm Reply with quote
The Dreaming Void wrote:
But the same joke? Three time in a row!?

There is a rule about comedy coming in threes. To quote wikipedia:
Quote:
The rule of three is a principle in English writing that suggests that things that come in threes are inherently funnier, more satisfying, or more effective than other numbers of things.

Personally I enjoyed the show.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:45 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I dread the day that I can't find entertainment in watching a new show like this, maybe becaus I really like the cliche's present in these type of shows. You know what, I find it hard enough being pressured to have the same tastes as others, and I will explicitly say that I much rather watch something like this then like House of 5 leaves or like Yojo-han Shinwa which I found complete bore fests.

I might be a 19 year old who has only been in anime for a few years, but I look forward to these type of shows each season.

Same here, but I've only been watching anime for about a decade now. I am more stricter with the manga I read, but I am not exceptionally hard to please with anime.

The only show (actually the OVA's actually) that successfully had various stereotypes and was still an excellent show was Kujibiki Unbalance. Mainly because the series was within a series, but went a step farther. Tons of anime reference other anime, yet not many anime shows embrace several stereotypes and still manage to make it funny and occasionally original.

Well all I can say, is I hope that day never happens or doesn't happen for several decades. I still look forward to new anime, but I seem to like older anime slightly more now and days.
Skylark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Okay episode 2 was great but I've almost completely switched sides regarding the narrator. Seriously it might have seemed like a good idea at the time, but it's just annoying as hell now; the voice didn't fit at all over the more serious scenes and killed what was supposed to be warm fuzzy bits, moreover all the narrator did was point out the blatantly obvious, and usually at the same time as some dialogue by the actual characters. I really hope they realise that people hate the narrator and use her maybe for the introduction and the next episode preview but just make her disappear during the episode; it's ruining an otherwise (in my opinion) enjoyable, if somewhat brainless, series.

One other thing I don't like is how everyone else is pushing Ookami-san to be with the fraidy-cat dude; for one thing in real life no one can see through someone else's feelings so transparently so as far as they're aware she doesn't actually have any kind of liking towards him as all; especially since she only just met him. Another thing I'm growing to hate about anime in general is the whole "denial of honest emotions" thing; it gets played out in almost every title like this and I'm really pretty sick of it. If a guy has confessed to the girl and she likes him, she's got nothing to fear because the guy has already stuck his neck out and risked telling her how she feels, so she can then proceed into relationship if she does like him. Since this hasn't happened, she obviously _doesn't_ like him that way and the other characters should just shut up about it and leave the fight to the guy in question.

That said, cat-san (I'm calling the guy that from now on because I can never remember his name; I keep thinking Araragi T.T) had a few crowning moments of awesome this episode and I'm glad they're going to drop that annoying phobia of his off the cards, because he did manage to be pretty awesome this episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8