• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation Feb/March 2011 Solicitations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm not sure why I didn't ponder this before, but I don't understand the rhyme or reason behind how some of Funi's new series are being released. For example:

Chrome Shelled Regios's two parts are being released on the same day, but only the first part of the LE version is being released. No BDs.

In contrast, Ga-Rei Zero is being released in all four forms on the same day: standard DVD, LE DVD, standard BD & LE BD.

Rosario + Vampire is even weirder. Season 1 is being released in LE form and Season 2 in standard form on the same day. No mention of BDs.

No mention of a Rideback BD (which the series really deserves; the Rideback machines are mouth-wateringly beautiful).

So my question is - how does Funi decide what is going to get a BD and what won't? Why are some standard and LE versions being released on the same day and others not (note: I am aware that standard versions won't be shipped until the LEs sell out, but that still doesn't explain why some series are showing solicitations in different versions on the same day and others aren't).

Anyhoo, if anybody has any insight or thoughts on this, step up to the mike.

I think only the first parts of the longer series will be LE's. Rigid box big enough to hold four thins. The empty space in the first box will hold the "special item" and eventually the second set of thins.

Ga Rei Zero is a shorter show so it will only be the first set.

Rideback is a Geneon Universal title so maybe they had trouble securing rights for the BD? I'm just surprised to see they are licensing their titles.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Ah, well that explains the LE/standard DVD discrepancy for two set series. Thanks, Luffy.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Ya man. Can't wait to see one of these LE sets in person...to tell you the truth I haven't been this curious about a FUNi product since they released that sexy Speed Grapher artbox loaded with goodies.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So my question is - how does Funi decide what is going to get a BD and what won't?

We don't know. It used to be that only shows that sold well on DVD got BD releases, which is stupid. But now they're doing more and more simultaneous DVD/BD releases. If I had to guess, if they have a really good feeling something will sell well off the bat, it gets a BD release at the get go (Summer Wars, Eva, GRZ, etc). If it's a smaller, lesser known show that doesn't have all the makings of a typical big seller (Rideback), they'll hold back on it. I also have to assume big brother Japan has final word as well. If they don't want us to have BD's yet, we don't get them until they give the get go, which is reason #574 why I believe the Japanese anime industry is run by a handful of mentally challenged spider monkeys that get their advice from blind manatees.

Quote:
Why are some standard and LE versions being released on the same day and others not (note: I am aware that standard versions won't be shipped until the LEs sell out, but that still doesn't explain why some series are showing solicitations in different versions on the same day and others aren't).

Probably so that people can reserve an RE while the LE is still in print. I think that's a Rightstuf error that not all the LEs also have RE listings, though. I'm also not 100% sold on the idea that no REs will be sold until LEs run out, because that's just making non-collectors wait longer. Of course, if Funimation's print run is REALLY small, they'll sell out quicker. I think the print run for LEs is probably around 400 (wild guess), so it could end up not being that long of a wait at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:11 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I think the print run for LEs is probably around 400 (wild guess), so it could end up not being that long of a wait at all.

Ooo I'm actually trying to find out the answer to the LE print run question right now. I will let you know what I hear...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Ah, so we get to play the "do I wait to see if a BD will eventually come out" game, eh? Fun. That will go nicely with Sentai's "do I wait to see if a sub release gets a dub" game.

And let's not forget the, "do I take a chance and wait for a TRSI Funimation sale to order LEs or will they run out before that happens" game.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Ah, so we get to play the "do I wait to see if a BD will eventually come out" game, eh? Fun. That will go nicely with Sentai's "do I wait to see if a sub release gets a dub" game.

I hate both of those games. No one ever seems to win.

Quote:
And let's not forget the, "do I take a chance and wait for a TRSI Funimation sale to order LEs or will they run out before that happens" game.

You shut your mouth! I'm waiting for a Funimation myself, and there will be a hellacious storm if I can't get the GRZ BD LE.

luffypirate85 wrote:
Ooo I'm actually trying to find out the answer to the LE print run question right now. I will let you know what I hear...

Do tell what you find out. If you're asking Righstuf, see if they can put a counter on the LE sets so we know how many there are.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

I thought about doing that for a certain title with a certain free towel. I pre-ordered the said title to secure my free towel. This is one of the very few times where I ordered from TRSI that was not an ongoing sale.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:25 pm Reply with quote
If the sources I rely upon can provide me with the Chobits release for a price resembling the current RightStuf figure, I shall be most satisfied.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:25 pm Reply with quote
@ The Naked Beast - yeah, the brutes got me the same way. Normally, I'm Mr. Prudent Shopper, but throw a free $2.99 towel with an image of a comely lass with her moneymakers bursting out all over the place and I become a retailer's helpless little bitch...
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:26 pm Reply with quote
wormraper wrote:
still too price for a 12-13 ep series. I'd go for those prices if they were 24-26. 1/2 seasons (as I call the 12-13 eppers) I only bite at a $30 intro price or lower (usually bit if it's about $20-$25)
Oh, well--that's your problem then. Laughing
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:34 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

Now posted at Right Stuf's page.

Quote:
Contains all of Gunslinger Girl, Gunslinger Girl: Il Teatrino and the Gunslinger Girl: Il Teatrino OVA!
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:01 am Reply with quote
Interesting. This may be just the push I need to finally check the series out. I do find it strange, though, that Classics don't get BD releases, or at least there's been no mention of them. I mean, Classics are essentially best sellers, right? And shows that sell well get BD releases, right? Well, where's the disconnect?
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:44 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Interesting. This may be just the push I need to finally check the series out. I do find it strange, though, that Classics don't get BD releases, or at least there's been no mention of them. I mean, Classics are essentially best sellers, right? And shows that sell well get BD releases, right? Well, where's the disconnect?
What? Hold up, bro--there are some Classic Line releases that are getting Blu-rays. Just search up "Classic Line" on RightStuf's site--you'll see that Yu Yu Hakusho, Chobits, FLCL, Samurai Champloo, and Shigurui are all gonna have DVD and Blu-ray Classic Line editions.

But like I stated in a different topic, I agree about Gunslinger Girl. Definitely gonna pick up the Classic Line edition.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Oh, yes, forgot about those. Well, how about this then: What aren't all the Classics getting BD treatment? Especially Gunslinger Girls since both seasons and the OVA are already out on BD.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6