• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime in America: Theron and Carl's Best (and Worst) of 2010

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Dagon123 wrote:

Really? Really?! Eden of the East and Fullmetal all by themselves could have given you a better dub performance, but that line almost feels like "Its time to pay the bills, this line gos out to Dragonball Kai from FUNimation"

I disagree. Kai's dub is probably better than FMA: B's. And Ayres is amazing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I loved that Asatte no Houkou and Princess Jellyfish got some love. I enjoyed reading your article. There are quite a few titles I'm going to try and check out. Thanks!
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:36 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Dagon123 wrote:

Really? Really?! Eden of the East and Fullmetal all by themselves could have given you a better dub performance, but that line almost feels like "Its time to pay the bills, this line gos out to Dragonball Kai from FUNimation"

I disagree. Kai's dub is probably better than FMA: B's. And Ayres is amazing.

The Kai dub is no doubt solid but its no where near the level of sophistication that is the Brotherhood dub..also Christopher Ayres is indeed a breath of fresh air but Kent Williams gave a vastly stronger performance as Father in Brotherhood..personally I believe he deserved the honor far more then Ayres.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Living for the Day After Tomorrow was really the surprise of the year for me. Just by reading the short description I would have completely passed it up, but I got bored one day and decided to watch a couple episode on the anime network. It turned out to be excellent.

While I mostly agree with both Theron and Carl's picks, I think I have to toss Birdy the Mighty: Decode in there as a contender for Best Series of 2010. I thought it was one of the best things I've seen in years. The story was excellent, the characters were great, the animation was fantastic, and it was one of the few shows that I've actually marathoned in a long time. It's just too bad it did so poorly in Japan, and as far as I can tell it isn't very popular here either.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:

The Kai dub is no doubt solid but its no where near the level of sophistication that is the Brotherhood dub..also Christopher Ayres is indeed a breath of fresh air but Kent Williams gave a vastly stronger performance as Father in Brotherhood..personally I believe he deserved the honor far more then Ayres.

Kent Williams is average as Father. If you're going to go for a performance in the FMA: B dub, then choose somebody who really maximizes their role's potential, like Travis Willingham's Roy Mustang, Colleen Clinkenbeard's Riza Hawkeye, or Stephanie Young's Olivier Armstrong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Okay, what I want to know is how Soul Eater didn't make it on the list of any of these.

I mean, At least give the one of the Openings or Closings a mention, they were phenomenal.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:08 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:

Kent Williams is average as Father. If you're going to go for a performance in the FMA: B dub, then choose somebody who really maximizes their role's potential, like Travis Willingham's Roy Mustang, Colleen Clinkenbeard's Riza Hawkeye, or Stephanie Young's Olivier Armstrong.

Kent Williams performance as Father average?I can't agree with that statement at all..he is absolutely brilliant in that role.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Mainly think this was a great article but I have my sparse differences.
Best Couple:
Megiddo wrote:
Great to see Cross Game snag so many awards, though I think that the Kou/Aoba pair could be just as strong as a Kou/Wakaba pair.

I have to say that I definitely prefer the Kou/Aoba pairing. I love how separately they both stay so faithful to Wakaba but the key is how they have to deal with this faithfulness to create their own wonderfully difficult and sweet relationship... although I now realize you might have decided to go with Wakaba simply because the final 1/4 hasn't streamed yet... It might even be possible that you'll name Kou/Aoba next year, after all it does feature the best romantic payoff's of any show I've seen this year, even beating out the great payoff that is my clear choice for...

Best Kiss:
Maybe it lost points for the teen factor, being conventional or being too sweet but I still have to give Toradora the award here. That's a tremendously romantic kiss.

And then there's

Best Closer:
It's a shame that the brilliant closers for Hanumaru Kindergarten are being forgotten. They featured brilliant concepts (Space Hanumaru), Beautiful music (the shoegazer theme that was so reminiscent of early Lush), informed you of the characters (Anzu's parents story) or a combination of them. If I had to choose one for the award I'd have to go with Horror montage, which was beautiful, strange, surprising and when shown by itself inspires people to watch a show they'd never think of watching otherwise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:06 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:

Also, glad to see that Toradora's Japanese cast got a nod. The cast in that is so good I actually wasn't too disappointed to hear that it wasn't getting a dub, even though I'm typically a dub-first watcher when I have a choice.

I tend to really look forward to hearing the performances when I see Jin Aketagawa credited as Sound Director. There are a lot of titles he's done that really interest me on the Japanese voice acting side. Toradora is no exception there.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Dimlos wrote:
Weird. I watched the first episode of Angel Beats and wasn't interested enough to watch more than that, but I thought the general consensus was that the animation was bad/average and that the story was incomprehensible/rushed.

If Angel Beats looks bad then most anime has animation rivaling what a 4 year old could produce.

The King of Harts wrote:
I haven't finished the last three Panty and Stocking episodes yet (and I am aware of the "Gainax Ending"), but I think it's an unlicensed gem. Why Funimation or Section 23 haven't grabbed this up yet is beyond me because it's got their style all over it and it's sure to jive well with America's youth on Adult Swim (although the sperm episode may be a little extreme for even them). And while others, like yourselves, find it disgusting, I find it hilarious. Maybe I'm an immature, little brat because I think toilet humor is funny when done right, but I don't care.

I had a blast with it as well. If there was any anime that could succeed on adult swim during their normal run I think it'd be this. It's as raunchy as the other stuff they show, it looks like a US cartoon and it has a healthy serving of violence.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Akukame wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
Quote:
For instance, the entirety of Otome Yōkai Zakuro has been available on Crunchyroll as it came out during the fall season, yet no less than five groups have still done English fansubs for most or all of the series. Deplorable.

Actually, you're wrong. I don't think anyone actually DID English FANsubs. They just used the CR subs, and used the video from Japanese TV. So in fact, this made releasing CR shows much easier, since there was no need for a translator. Double-edged sword.

I'm going to have to disagree with this. I don't have the fansubs downloaded to compare the two, I have a crunchyroll subscription, so honestly I don't bother. But, I can almost guarantee at least 2 groups translated and fansubbed Otome Yokai Zakuro themselves, without stealing CR subs.
I have to agree and disagree with the above posts. As far as I can tell, there is only one purely-original (or "traditional") fansubbed version of Spirit Girl Zakuro. The rest of the files out there are either:
1) Straight rips of the CR streams.
2) Rips of the CR subs + TV-source encodes, with varying degrees of alterations to the subs (adding OP/ED/honorifics, typesetting, restyling, etc.).

So while the increase in simulcasting has not stamped out fan-based distribution of anime, it has cut down on the amount of traditional fansubs being made. Quite a few recent shows only have CR (or other licensee) stream-rips, TV-rips using subs from simulcasts, and maybe one or two traditional fansubs. No season of Koihime Musou since the first has been fansubbed, for example.

Quote:
Any company looking to license the series would do well to take note of what MX did.
Considering Sentai's habit of using straight-from-CR/wherever subs (see also Glass Mask), a DVD/BD release with those subs wouldn't be unthinkable.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:07 am Reply with quote
Add my vote re Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt getting beyond simulcast fare. Admittedly some of the episodes or halves thereof were hits and misses yet from ep.6 on I was hooked on this series. I would love to see this series get released as a dvd set. I sure would buy it!
Any truth to illusion hinted in episode 13 there will be a Season 2: starring Brief and Chuck? Inquiring minds want to know.....
naninanino

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:40 am Reply with quote
Not that great of a line-up, but I guess you got to make due with what you got.

Tatami Galaxy was definitely a show that hit me from the back. I also gave up on it on the initial episode, but returned after hearing some reliable feedback. It's a really smart comedy.

As for Cross Game. I have a hard time finishing it, although it seems to get better on the second half. In my humble opinion, it would be better without the baseball, which seems to exist just to extend the plot.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:53 am Reply with quote
You know, this article is starting to fall off the side bar already. It would probably be a good idea to slip it into the rotating banner so it gets more exposure.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shichimi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:16 am Reply with quote
Definitely agree with Asobi ni Ikuyo being a surprise show. A great example of something becoming greater than the sum of its parts. The scifi elements were pretty solid IMO.

And however bold FUNi might be getting with releasing uncut Strike Witches and vampires getting gelled up, I don't think the Western world is quite ready for S&M lolis just yet. Although I stand by my assessment of the first 2 episodes I watched; the show knows it's stoopid and just goes with it!

Still haven't got round to looking at Durarara! I'm tempted to wait and marathon it alongside Baccano.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5