• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Puella Magi Madoka Magica (TV + movies).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this show really is fun to watch. I had a feeling with Urobuchi at the helm, it would be dark, but not like spoiler["witches make people commit suicide" dark]. I'm interested into what wish they will make to gain their powers.

My favorite part was green-haired Mugi thinking Madoka and Sayaka were a yuri couple.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:55 am Reply with quote
The second episode was just as good as the first. Once again there was a slow start, but it really picked up steam when the girls were contemplating what in their privileged lives was so important as to risk their lives for.

I like how the girls haven't been just turned into magical girls but have been given the choice. I also like how they got a bit of work experience, getting to see what it's like to be a magical girl without having the responsibility for the entire battle on their inexperienced shoulders. These are clear departures from any Magical Girl show I've ever heard of.

I had two favourite parts. The first was the scene where Madoka's mother starts giving off scary vibes (also, I like the way she gently chided Madoka rather than growling at her about her curfew). The second was when Madoka showed the other two girls the costume she had designed for herself. Not only was in funny, but it was a nice way to address the prerequisite costuming issues that all Magical Girl series share.

Oh, and the witch was nothing like what I had imagined it would be. Surely "monster" would be a more appropriate term. And is anyone else suspicious about Mami? She seems too nice. Beware the nice ones . . . . . .
Eivion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:28 am Reply with quote
I'm really digging this show so far. I particularly like atmosphere and slight sense of mystery/foreboding as you can pretty much tell Mami and Kyube are bsing them on Homura and hiding somehting.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:56 am Reply with quote
Is every witch battle going to use that style of animation?
I mean it's all fine and good if Shaft was using it for a opening or for that one scene from SZS but as a every episode battle style is just.

It's a bit to much for me I think, seeing as it's more of a distraction then adding in a interesting factor.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:05 am Reply with quote
I may be in the minority, but I really enjoyed the style used for the battle with the witch, especially interesting with spoiler[the girls being pleasent pastels with the creepy ... well I describe it as "scrapbook" as it looks like something from a scrapbook.] Well the animation truly is a delight, and some of the music later in the episode was pretty good, I usually don't notice that sort of thing, but it really worked well in the fight.

A few kind of deconstructions of the genre, Madoka spent some time spoiler[designing her outfitt]. Their friend was accusing them of having a spoiler[yuri relationship which is funny as how people often group girls in these type of shows as being lovers (Card Captors, Lyrical Nanoha).] Oh and spoiler[murders and suicides were noted as being the cause of what the witches do] which is surprisingly dark. Also lol at her mum going all Light Yagami in the bathroom scene.

I may be completly wrong with this, but a few things seem a bit suspicsious, the first one being that spoiler[they get a wish and in return become a magical girl, it sounds a bit like selling your soul to the devil.] But it really is just a cute mascot, are they really likely to pull of some twist, well as mentioned by dtm42 Mami in my opinion looks a bit too nice. And lastly the spoiler[egg looked suspisciously like a maical girl jewel, and it wasn't the egg that gave power to the jewel, but the jewel deposited some sort of dark energy into the egg. Could it be if it the energy is not deposited they become a witch?]

Anyway it is pretty clear that the real reason that Homura was attacking Kyubey was not spoiler[to stop competition, but stop Madoka's life being put at risk. The question is if Mami and Kyubey knew this and just lied.] While I don't forget, does anyone else find it a bit creepy that Kyubey can spoiler[read minds], I mean that it is an interesting way to go with what was done in Nanoha, but it crosses a bit into the creepy side.
Bored_Ming

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:04 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
spoiler[egg looked suspisciously like a maical girl jewel, and it wasn't the egg that gave power to the jewel, but the jewel deposited some sort of dark energy into the egg. Could it be if it the energy is not deposited they become a witch?]

Anyway it is pretty clear that the real reason that Homura was attacking Kyubey was not spoiler[to stop competition, but stop Madoka's life being put at risk. The question is if Mami and Kyubey knew this and just lied.]

I agree on both points and would add. spoiler[Madoka was also warned that her loved ones would also be in danger. Which is hinted at with the cursed woman looking like Madoka's mother.]

I enjoy the art of the dimensional battles. I get a real otherworldly feel from it. spoiler[Plus if those monsters/witches are really fallen magical girls then it adds to the tragedy of the situation.]

Wow, my post looks like a redacted CIA file.
vastoceans

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:14 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
but it really picked up steam when the girls were contemplating what in their privileged lives was so important as to risk their lives for. I like how the girls haven't been just turned into magical girls but have been given the choice.

This was one of my favorite parts as well. A clear departure from the genre. I can't remember the last time a magical girl really sat and thought about the world in those terms. This isn't about being forced into a cute outfit and saving the world "just because". And not all of the details of said wishes have been revealed yet which adds to the sense of mystery for me.

Quote:

And is anyone else suspicious about Mami? She seems too nice. Beware the nice ones . . . . . .

Yeah, I think most of us are kinda getting that vibe. I don't imagine that she's particularly evil but that she is using these new magical girls (and tried to use Homura by getting her to join) to somehow get herself in a better position. She's the one that said magical girls can be competition for one another... there's something going on there.

ninjapet wrote:

It's a bit to much for me I think, seeing as it's more of a distraction then adding in a interesting factor.

I love the backgrounds but will agree that the witch here seemed a little over the top. Too much going on in one frame, it was hard to tell what Mami was fighting. I can't fault them for the design choice however because it's more interesting than all of the tired and cliched enemies I pictured in my mind when I heard they'd be up against witches.

Also, with Nitroplus behind the scenes and the battles taking place in alternate planes of reality, it's not out of the question that we aren't meant to see the "true form" of the witches, if you will (yet?). Purely speculation of course, but there was none of that wriggling writhing stuff in episode 1's dream sequence.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I think I liked this second episode more than the first. The first one looked pretty but felt like a pretty standard magical girl show all together. But the "witch's curse" brings a much darker element to the show, and I'm pretty suspicious of the contracts, too. I can't help but think about series like Chrono Crusade, which center around contracts with a demon. I definitely don't trust that the girls are being told the entire truth.

This episode was so great that it's bumped the show up much higher on my priority list. I'm really looking forward to seeing where this goes now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
vastoceans

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:36 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
I'm pretty suspicious of the contracts, too. I can't help but think about series like Chrono Crusade, which center around contracts with a demon. I definitely don't trust that the girls are being told the entire truth.

I'm glad somebody bumped this so I didn't have to double post, just came across a pretty cool tidbit of information which goes hand-in-hand with our doubts.

The writing on the walls preceding the fight with the witch (ep2) may actually be some interesting foreshadowing rather than just a SHAFT "insert random text" quirk.

spoiler[The scattered texts are apparently excerpts from Faust, a German legend in which the protagonist "makes a deal with the devil, exchanging his soul for unlimited knowledge and worldly pleasures". Pretty cool foreshadowing and may reinforce what seems to be the general consensus that Mami and Bunnyfox are up to no good. Very cool. (source: a commenter named VucubCaquix on metanorn)]
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:12 am Reply with quote
That is seriously awesome. Now I'm REALLY intrigued about where this show is going.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
tigertora

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:38 am Reply with quote
The art, The style, The story, I will be watching this all the way to the end and enjoy the ride where ever it takes me. Then if and when dear i say i makes the usa shores i will think about getting the dvd's at that point in time.

this is neat show so far.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I liked what they did for the witch's design. It's anatomy was so alien and lacking in identifiable features that it is almost beyond the point of monster to that of a concept that the magical girls are fighting.
Rime of the Ancient Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:46 am Reply with quote
vastoceans wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
but it really picked up steam when the girls were contemplating what in their privileged lives was so important as to risk their lives for. I like how the girls haven't been just turned into magical girls but have been given the choice.

This was one of my favorite parts as well. A clear departure from the genre. I can't remember the last time a magical girl really sat and thought about the world in those terms. This isn't about being forced into a cute outfit and saving the world "just because". And not all of the details of said wishes have been revealed yet which adds to the sense of mystery for me.

It's not often a physically-driven character like Sayaka (who spoiler[levels a playing field with a fire extinguisher and brings a baseball bat to a witch hunt]) gets to be that philosophically deep--usually she'd be the audience to such wisdom, not its fount. She still has her quirks (has already made up her mind about Homura) but it means she's not perfect. In short, she's my favorite already.

vastoceans wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
And is anyone else suspicious about Mami? She seems too nice. Beware the nice ones . . . . . .

Yeah, I think most of us are kinda getting that vibe. I don't imagine that she's particularly evil but that she is using these new magical girls (and tried to use Homura by getting her to join) to somehow get herself in a better position. She's the one that said magical girls can be competition for one another... there's something going on there.

I keep getting an Obi-Wan Kenobi vibe; that somewhere down the line, Madoka or Sayaka will confront Mami about her explanations versus the way things really work, and she's going to deliver a many-of-the-truths-we-cling-to-depend-greatly-on-our-own-point-of-view defense.

I mean, it's really, really convenient spoiler[that the witches happen to veil themselves in Wonderland-Vision, which makes them appear totally inhuman (easier to fight something, especially when someone else tells you that they're bad so you even get to take the Moral High Ground).
...yet they also have a magic do-dad too, that just happens to be compatible with a magic girl's Faberge' egg.
I will not be surprised in the least if the "Witches" turn out to be just a different school of magic girls doing good their way, with different abilities and a philosophy set that can be spin doctored into something more sinister than it is.]

The more I think about it, the more My-HiME vibes grab me. Not that I mind--a dark underbelly magical girl competition show with a little less fanservice is right up my alley.

As far as Episodes 1 and 2 go... wow, didn't take Homura's warning long to come home to roost. Half-truths to her mother? Alienation of her green-haired friend, Hitomi and Madoka may eventually have to compete with her other friend, Sayaka, for Grief seeds?

And Homura isn't all she appears either. Why do I get the feeling spoiler[she trailed them to act as a Chaperon from the Shadows?]

Between all that and a wall full of German, I'm thoroughly enjoying this story-wise. I wait with warped eagerness to see how this holds up. Very Happy
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Rime of the Ancient Otaku wrote:
I mean, it's really, really convenient spoiler[that the witches happen to veil themselves in Wonderland-Vision, which makes them appear totally inhuman (easier to fight something, especially when someone else tells you that they're bad so you even get to take the Moral High Ground).
...yet they also have a magic do-dad too, that just happens to be compatible with a magic girl's Faberge' egg.
I will not be surprised in the least if the "Witches" turn out to be just a different school of magic girls doing good their way, with different abilities and a philosophy set that can be spin doctored into something more sinister than it is.]

I don't quite think that's what the situation will turn out to be. spoiler[We did see Mami save a woman's life who was about to kill herself because she had been affected by a witch's kiss. While clearly Mami and Kyubey are leaving out a couple key tidbits of their explanation, I don't think the witches are simply an opposing school. Perhaps corrupted magical girls, as I think someone suggested earlier makes sense.]

spoiler[Unless, of course, Mami/Kyubey are outright lying, and planted the "witch's kiss", which would make them unambiguously evil. I don't think that's the case though, as that doesn't account for the witch's egg thing. No, that the darkness went from Mami's gem to the witch's egg makes me lean more towards the corruption theory, that the act of using magic builds corruption, slowly destroying the egg/gem. Killing a witch sometimes reveals an egg because they haven't been completely corrupted yet, and the magical girl can unload some of her corruption into the witch's egg.]

Although I haven't managed to connect this theory to Homura's comments about how becoming a magical girl hurts one's family and friends.
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:30 am Reply with quote
Although Dorcas mentioned the possibility, is anyone else suspicious of spoiler[Mami? I dunno I just get some sort of vibe that she's definitely not telling the whole truth, especially with the wish as someone mentioned earlier. We also do not have a real reason for Mami to be helping the other girls, unless she's just nice or needs help. I also have the feeling that Homura is not bad, although that seems to be obvious the way they are painting it. ]

Curious to see where this goes and I am really enjoying it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 61