• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media's Neon Alley to Stream Accel World Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:09 am Reply with quote
dtm42, nesting spoilers doesn't work right, its really irritating when you do that.

I can certainly buy the argument that it could have been forshadowed, but we got NO forshadowing about what Chiyu was up to, so I don't think its particularly notable.

On the list of "things wrong with the second half of Accel World" this is really minor quibbling.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:17 am Reply with quote
I edited my previous post to include my response to your previous post.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
dtm42, nesting spoilers doesn't work right, its really irritating when you do that.

I had to do it, as some people may have watched Accel World but not Sword Art Online. Trying to do it any other way is messy. You can always highlight the text.

Besides, I very rarely nest spoiler tags, so implying that I do it often is not accurate.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
I can certainly buy the argument that it could have been forshadowed, but we got NO forshadowing about what Chiyu was up to, so I don't think its particularly notable.

Yes we did. We knew what side she was on, that had been foreshadowed in her conversation with Haru ahead of time.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
On the list of "things wrong with the second half of Accel World" this is really minor quibbling.

In my opinion, a deus ex machina power is more than a minor quibble, but whatever.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:41 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

In my opinion, a deus ex machina power is more than a minor quibble, but whatever.

Like I said, I don't think its even remotely a deus ex machina. If it contradicted what had been shown/told about her power, yeah, maybe, but it didn't.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:07 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Like I said, I don't think its even remotely a deus ex machina. If it contradicted what had been shown/told about her power, yeah, maybe, but it didn't.

Deus ex machinas do not have to contradict what has previously gone before. In fact, they often don't. In Sword Art Online,spoiler[ Kayaba helping Kirito in episode twenty-four did not contradict much of anything. New class of admin? It had never been stated that Villain-kun had the highest rank of admin power. Kayaba being a ghost (of sorts)? It had never been stated that he hadn't turned himself into a ghost, or that it was impossible. New logic had been created, yes, but no previously-established logic had actually been contradicted. Episode fourteen on the other hand was a case of multiple deus ex machinas contradicting logic.] Contradicting logic is neither here nor there.

Back to Accel World, while Chiyu's spoiler[power conformed to previously-established logic, it was still an arse-pull used in the final episode to allow Haru to get his wings back.]
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:11 am Reply with quote
I haven't watched the second half of AW but if it's really worse than the first then I can't see how I can be better than SAO, and everyone knows I'm not particularly fond of that one either.

Like someone else said, in AW everyone is just taking a videogame too seriously, period. When spoiler[Cyan Pyle "sacrificed himself" to protect Haru and co. from Yellow Radio's minions I was actually happy that the guy was being released from the unhealthy addiction Brain Burst seems to be]. I find it laughable how Haru strives so hard to protect KYH's "dream", when said dream is equiparable to spoiler[wanting to meet the creator of Google.]

I also feel the characters are a lot less likeable and less sympathetic than most SAO characters. So yeah, Kirito is an annoying overpowered Gary Stu, but doesn't spend half of the series pondering about his own worthlessness. spoiler[While it is implied that Kirito wanted to flee from reality too, his escape is not so evident as Haru's who decides it's better to be a super-fast little pig playing squash than face his real-life problems]. And Black Lotus is no better than a crazy manipulative bitch, spoiler[who would betray her friends, then go crazy and black out whenever confronted about it, yet still fight to betray them even more so that she can meet the creator of the game]
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:28 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Deus ex machinas do not have to contradict what has previously gone before.

Of course they don't, but in this case, thats the only way it would have remotely qualified as one.

We knew she had the spoiler["healing" power, and we knew that it was almost certainly going to be key to restoring Haru's wings. (plot logic 101 here). Now, if he'd gotten the wings back in some completely undiscussed-to-that-point manner, or if it had been somehow demonstrated that her power couldn't do such things, that would be a Deus ex Machina.]

People are way, way too quick to call things "deus ex machina" in general. It dilutes the meaning of the term. Very few (professionally published) stories contain actual examples, which is one thing that makes Sword Art Online so notable.[/spoiler]

Also, for the record, I find people who whine about AW just being "taking a videogame too seriously" and that SAO is necessarily better due to the fact that people die to be profoundly unserious.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:52 pm Reply with quote
The people saying that Chiyu's power was not foreshadowed simply weren't paying very close attention.

spoiler[Go back and rewatch episode 13. Specifically the part where Chiyu is testing out her powers. Look at the second use of Citron Call, the one that actually heals Haru instead of doing nothing. The animation for it includes a bunch of gears turning a clockhand back inside the bell near the start. Then as Haru's HP goes up, his special attack gauge goes down. Any less subtle and they might as well have flat out stated what it was from the start.]
pika2000

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Really, the Japanese blu-ray/DVD already have English subtitle. All Viz could've done is simply repackage them and release them in the US to get some sales right away as they are already on volume 6 in Japan. But no, they are wasting time dubbing this. And then what, complaining that nobody buys the DVD volume 1 released waaaayyyyyy later due to piracy? Come on. Rolling Eyes

Why do people want this dubbed in the first place? Unlike some other anime, there's a huge issue with localization for Accel World. Just watch the official subtitle from Viz. Part of the story and characterizations is Haru's hesitation in calling Kuroyukihime by her name, and keep calling her senpai. This has completely lost in the official sub as Viz sees that they don't need to use senpai, making it seem like Haru is comfortable calling her Kuroyukihime. This is only going to get worse dubbed if the original "localization" doesn't even take consideration the importance of the honorifics to the actual characterizations and story. Are they going to guess Kuroyukihime's name? Are they going to keep calling her Black Snow? Confused

And I'm guessing people hate Sachika Misawa (Kuroyukihime's seiyuu) so much that they want Kuroyukihime voiced by somebody else. How sad.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:20 pm Reply with quote
^ Here we go again. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3