• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Air (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gauss

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:27 am Reply with quote
I was under the impression that spoiler[the curse trapped Kanna in a sort of non-corporeal existence where she suffers nightmares of Ryuya dying. Uraha and Ryuya (wounded but alive) got a glimpse of this existence and an understanding of what would happen. The curse would eventually wear off at which time Kanna's spirit would try to reincarnate in some girl's body. Unfortunately the curse would last hundreds of years. Doubly unfortunate is that a human body just can't contain Kanna's divine powers. The only way Ryuya and Uruha could help was by procreating and leaving the job to future generations. Yukito is their grand-grand-something-grand-son and does indeed find the girl in whom Kanna's spirit tries to reincarnate. That girl is of course Misuzu and in the end she dies because she can't handle Kanna's powers. While it's possible there have been earlier reincarnation attempts, I got the feeling that the curse had only recently worn off and this was the first time around.]
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Gauss wrote:
I was under the impression that spoiler[the curse trapped Kanna in a sort of non-corporeal existence where she suffers nightmares of Ryuya dying. Uraha and Ryuya (wounded but alive) got a glimpse of this existence and an understanding of what would happen. The curse would eventually wear off at which time Kanna's spirit would try to reincarnate in some girl's body. Unfortunately the curse would last hundreds of years. Doubly unfortunate is that a human body just can't contain Kanna's divine powers. The only way Ryuya and Uruha could help was by procreating and leaving the job to future generations. Yukito is their grand-grand-something-grand-son and does indeed find the girl in whom Kanna's spirit tries to reincarnate. That girl is of course Misuzu and in the end she dies because she can't handle Kanna's powers. While it's possible there have been earlier reincarnation attempts, I got the feeling that the curse had only recently worn off and this was the first time around.]

Yeah that sounds more appropriate but I haven't seen the series in a long while and alot of that in my mind has been replaced with useless math i'll never use. Anyways yeah I was mostly using some stuff from memory and from what I understood.

But still didn't really or fully understand why Yukito stayed as a crow. I'mre merely speculating.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Lapsus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:29 pm Reply with quote
AIR consists of many (Four or so) arcs that dont start after each other, but overlay and appera to be happening simultaneously. That is what makes understanding AIR quite a headache IMO Confused

I think that Yukito wanted to stay with Misuzu as long as he could, but staying with her would ultimately lead to their deaths, so Yukito chose to become this crow, thus being able to stay with Misuzu, but escaping her getting those tear attacks and other problems (death).

As for the ending: spoiler[guess Yukito died the same moment Misuzu did and they both got re-born again, but now Yukito knew where to look for Misuzus reincarnation so they could forever be together. As I understood it - Misuzus soul would die and reborn again as long as she is alone, but finally Yukito manages to be with her from the very childhood and getting the time to make a relationship.. Funny is the thing that their reincarnations live while their ex-existances live as well, doesnt this come in a violation to some time/space/soul multiolying statements? Laughing ]
Gauss

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Three arcs: Dream, Summer and Air. Personally I found the change of perspective in the Air arc very surprising. While not confusing, it did require some time for my mental gears to shift. It's such a rare narrative device that you just don't expect it.

Lapsus wrote:

I think that Yukito wanted to stay with Misuzu as long as he could, but staying with her would ultimately lead to their deaths, so Yukito chose to become this crow, thus being able to stay with Misuzu

Kanna suffered from two curses that sort of blended together. spoiler[The first curse was inherited by Kanna from her mother, as part of Kanna gaining her powers. It was the curse of all the people Kanna's mother had killed. Basically all the friends and loved ones of the cursed being would suffer agony and ultimately death. The second curse came from the buddhist monks who wanted to remove Kanna from this world. The curses blended together in the sense that Kanna's spirit was trapped in a spirit-state where she constantly dreams of Ryuya dying. When the buddhist curse wore off, the inherited curse still remained. So when Kanna tries to reincarnate herself in Mizusu, the dead people's curse make it impossible for Mizusu to have anybody be close to her. This other curse was removed either by Yukino becoming a crow or by the love shown to Misuzu by her aunt Haruko. If the curse was still working Haruko should certainly have died like Misuzu's real mom did.]

Quote:

As for the ending:

I presume you're thinking of the kids on the beach and that their presence signified spoiler[Yukito and Mizusu had reincarnated. But Misuzu is merely human and she died the final death. You're confusing her with Kanna, the being that tries to reincarnate. On the other hand from what the kids say it doesn't appear they're Kanna and Yukito either. The kids are basically a mystery that wasn't explained. In my optimistic happy ending mode I presume they're other divine messengers who have been reincarnated. That would mean there's a chance for Kanna too. Unfortunately my optimism is probably misplaced.]
Lapsus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Gauss wrote:
Kanna suffered from two curses that sort of blended together. spoiler[The first curse was inherited by Kanna from her mother, as part of Kanna gaining her powers. It was the curse of all the people Kanna's mother had killed. Basically all the friends and loved ones of the cursed being would suffer agony and ultimately death. The second curse came from the buddhist monks who wanted to remove Kanna from this world. The curses blended together in the sense that Kanna's spirit was trapped in a spirit-state where she constantly dreams of Ryuya dying. When the buddhist curse wore off, the inherited curse still remained. So when Kanna tries to reincarnate herself in Mizusu, the dead people's curse make it impossible for Mizusu to have anybody be close to her. This other curse was removed either by Yukino becoming a crow or by the love shown to Misuzu by her aunt Haruko. If the curse was still working Haruko should certainly have died like Misuzu's real mom did.]

I presume you're thinking of the kids on the beach and that their presence signified spoiler[Yukito and Mizusu had reincarnated. But Misuzu is merely human and she died the final death. You're confusing her with Kanna, the being that tries to reincarnate. On the other hand from what the kids say it doesn't appear they're Kanna and Yukito either. The kids are basically a mystery that wasn't explained. In my optimistic happy ending mode I presume they're other divine messengers who have been reincarnated. That would mean there's a chance for Kanna too. Unfortunately my optimism is probably misplaced.]

The explanation about curses is good, but spoiler[why was Misuzus body in pain all the time when she is alone with Haruka? Is it a part of curses? And I thought that the only reason why Haruka didn't suffer any pain is becouse she failed to get close to Misuzu after all Confused ]

And.. last episode sure is full of stuff to debate. For example: spoiler[When Yukito-crow flies off he says something about continuing on searching for Misuzu and bringing her back for a new beginning, so I assumed that two children on the beach ARE both Yukito and Misuzu. Then, when that narrative speach goes on.. it says: give happy memories to the last child who bears the stars memories.. so go figure Who is the last child of stars (probably the winged people in other words).. was it Misuzu or will it be the girl on the beach? Or.. is the "last" child a fixed term - maybe the last child is the one, who only has happy memories and isnt necessarialy to be Misuzu or the girl on the beach? Rolling Eyes ]

spoiler[The kid on the beach also mentions words like Memories (his probably) and a beginning for both of them..] so what did You mean by reincarnations of divine messengers? Do You mean the winged beings?

--Lapsus
Gauss

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:29 am Reply with quote
Lapsus wrote:

The explanation about curses is good, but spoiler[why was Misuzus body in pain all the time when she is alone with Haruka? Is it a part of curses? And I thought that the only reason why Haruka didn't suffer any pain is becouse she failed to get close to Misuzu after all Confused ]

The curses are not the cause of her pains. spoiler[Her pain comes from being only human, unable to withstand Kanna's essence that's filling her. She suffers pains in earlier episodes too, but as more and more of Kanna enters her, the pain becomes constant and finally she dies.
Note that this is not the reason why Misuzu cries whenever she becomes close to somebody. There's a link between Misuzu and Kanna's spirit. Whenever Misuzu befriends somebody, it causes anguish to Kanna who then channels that sadness back. Remember that Kanna is constantly dreaming about the death of Ryuya, her very close friend.
Finally, Misuzu had feelings for Haruka, which is clear from her struggle to reach the "goal", her second mother.]

Quote:

And.. last episode sure is full of stuff to debate. For example: spoiler[When Yukito-crow flies off he says something about continuing on searching for Misuzu and bringing her back for a new beginning, so I assumed that two children on the beach ARE both Yukito and Misuzu. ]

He doesn't actually say any names (had to dig out the fansubs to be sure), but it's clear he can only be referring to Kanna. spoiler[The kids on the beach could be Kanna and Yukito. The trouble is that if it was Yukito it would be a bit strange that he would refer to Misuzu and his previous self as "them". Kinda impersonal. Unless it's a translation error. I did notice that although the girl has brown hair, it looked blue like Kanna's for a short moment when they started walking away.]

Quote:
spoiler[
Then, when that narrative speach goes on.. it says: give happy memories to the last child who bears the stars memories.. so go figure Who is the last child of stars (probably the winged people in other words)...]

Basically the speech is saying that inevitably everything will end but we should still give our children happy memories.
spoiler[Air aims to show what a great thing motherhood is, and to love and be loved by your children. This isn't very clear due to the odd narrative structure, but when you think about the common theme joining all the stories together it should become obvious. So the speech sums it all up by saying that every child can grow up to become a parent and so continue the chain of life and memories until the very end of time.]

Quote:

so what did You mean by reincarnations of divine messengers? Do You mean the winged beings?

Yes, they were considered messengers or representatives of the gods, something akin to angels.

Man these spoiler-filled posts look so ugly. Hurts my sense of aestethics. Razz
Lapsus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:30 am Reply with quote
Finally: spoiler[If the boy on the beach is referring to "them", than it could not be Yukito, but Ryuya and Kanna, no?]

Yeey! Razz we have basically Spoiled everything up. Shocked

- Man, we`re off topic
Gauss

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Well, I think that's more unlikely than him being Yukito, unless Kanna's powers are way greater than indicated. The whole scene is simply a bit of a mystery. If it was Yukito, perhaps he underwent a change in both personality and body, hence the use of "them".
GOL

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I heard so many good things about this show but at the end of it I was just kind of lost.

SPOILERS

spoiler[ They spent 12 episodes going on about a girl in the sky...YET THEY NEVER LOOK FOR HER!

The main character turns into a bird.

Why did Misizu have to die?! Also, why did Yukito do nothing to save her?

Did I not understand the end of this series right? Why did all that stuff happen? Did Misizu actually die? What happened to Yukito?]
Someone explain this series!

[EDIT: Please don't be so lazy as to not even put spoiler tags. And also, please don't type in all caps next time. Thanks -TK]
Gauss

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I think this thread should answer your questions:
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21196

Just ask here if something remains unclear after reading it through.
GOL

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:24 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Okay, so if Yukito was the crow then how come he seemed so unaffected by Misizu's death? I mean, I know his aim had always been to find Kanna, but didn't he and Misizu get close? He said he had been trying to save her but doesn't seem all that bothered when she dies at the end.

I dunno, I guess I might just be looking for ways to justify that cruel ending. Misizu was such a kind character but had such a cold and horrible fate. Her body just seemed to die on her and by the end she was not even the same girl she was at the beggining. Was quite depressing to see that change because it kind of came out of nowhere.]
dgreater1

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Let's just say, a crow doesn't have the intellect of a human being Anime smile. But I know for sure that crow (Yukito) spoiler[mourned her death too, just like some other animals that mourne when one of their race dies (a simple sample are elephants, big cats, monkeys, etc.).] And don't ask why the crow (Yukito) didn't suffer the same fate as Yukito when he's being too close to Misuzu because my answer is (my opinion), Misuzu didn't really treat it like a friend, she treated it more like an aquaintance or someone who just happened to tag along.
cheezisgoooood

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:53 pm Reply with quote
GOL wrote:
I heard so many good things about this show but at the end of it I was just kind of lost.

SPOILERS

spoiler[ They spent 12 episodes going on about a girl in the sky...YET THEY NEVER LOOK FOR HER!

The main character turns into a bird.

Why did Misizu have to die?! Also, why did Yukito do nothing to save her?

Did I not understand the end of this series right? Why did all that stuff happen? Did Misizu actually die? What happened to Yukito?]
Someone explain this series!

Alright, then, here's a clue for ya:

Air sucks anus, and it's full of dangling plot elements and overall uselessness as a story.
jaybug39

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Wait, let me get this straight, you expected substance from a series named air?

Do they call fans of same, Air Heads? Very Happy
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:20 am Reply with quote
jaybug39 wrote:
Wait, let me get this straight, you expected substance from a series named air?

Do they call fans of same, Air Heads? Very Happy

You obviously haven't seen the series. There are aquite a lot of fans of this series including me so I would mind if you didn't diss up an anime you haven't seen. Watch something of it before you judge it.

Also @ cheezisgoooood you may not like it but I for one didn't find it confusing. Try taking time to understand and appreciate a story. Obviously anime like that aren't to your tastes. Besides if you want an anime with useless plot elements than take Mobile Suit Gundam SEED for instance. That anime if full of them Rolling Eyes

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7