• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Drop It Like It's Hot

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I do like sports anime, I'm watching Big Windup on Crackle and I do have other sport animes on my Hulu queue. To be honest, I don't understand why people would hate sport anime, I like them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a sports fan (other than the occasional Tennis, Soccer, Fencing, and Olympics), but I do like some sports movies like A League of their Own. I guess I've never really given sports anime a try. I guess some avoid them because sports might seem more believable in live action, and the idea of ANIMATING it is a little off-the-walls. Notice there aren't many American cartoons involving sports.
I do like Initial-D however, even if I don't watch NASCAR (my dad does though, and I've been to some races myself).

But yeah, the idea of sports anime not being successful here has nothing to do with anime fans not watching them. The close-minded people saying that have been watching too much Revenge of the Nerds (hilarious movie, but you get my point).

Radio Dramas can be a very fascinating and very unique artform. They're fun to make (these days, anyone can try to make one), and the skill it takes to create a story with no visuals is more difficult than it sounds. It also takes strong voice performers. The viewer's imagination is also taken places it would never go otherwise. I wish they would catch on again, and fortunately, the internet is giving them a new life. I'm happy to hear they're still popular in the land of the rising sun.

I would never "drop" anime. I mix my anime in with everything else I watch. To stop watching those, I would have to stop watching almost everything else I watch as well. With that said, slowly removing yourself from the fandoms is another story, not that I have any plans on doing that. I'm still 18 (almost 19), so you never know what my interests will be when I'm in my 20s.

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Fri May 03, 2013 5:13 pm; edited 4 times in total
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

The only sports anime I'd watch without a doubt would be a motorsports anime. But those don't exist, sadly enough.

I think I finally found something that I can agree with you on (didn't think that would happen). I'm pretty big on motorsports myself so I would also like to see more of them being created.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mikeski

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Mikeski wrote:
I think part of the "failure" of sports anime/manga in the USA is... it's not different than what we've already got. We do real sports. We do brackets and fantasy leagues. We do chumps-to-champs sports movies. We do whole blocks of channels on cable TV, all about sports.

Oh, so you're kind of going with the idea that anime is a counter-culture idea?

Depends how you define "counter-culture". I hear it as a dismissive term parallel to "hipster"; counter-culture is "I like this mostly because it is obscure or unpopular, and thus differentiates me from all those other people", not "I like this for what it is, regardless of whether it is obscure or unpopular or not."

I'm saying some people are wired in a way that they prefer anime/manga storytelling techniques, character types, tropes, cultural backgrounds, etc. to their western/Hollywood equivalents. And the standard sports story, even told in anime form, doesn't quite scratch that itch, thus those stories are proportionally more unpopular in the west than other genres.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:14 pm Reply with quote
@Chagen46:

Well then watch Capeta. The protagonist is probably younger than you'd like but beggars can't be choosers.

Initial D is about illegal street racing, but it involves motor vehicles being raced for sport. So it's indubitably a motorsports show.

And anyway, tricked-out civilian vehicles with all their variety and coolness drifting up and down narrow poorly-graded hair-pin-plagued mountain passes sounds a lot more awesome and dangerous (and therefore more fun to watch) than a bunch of generic look-the-same racing cars go the same way 'round a wide and nicely-banked track for hundreds of laps.
duckdealer

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:19 pm Reply with quote
thenix wrote:

BTW I usually equate being a fan of pro wrestling to liking sports manga. Sure pro wrestling is fake (I hope I don't need to put that in spoiler tags) but because it's fake you can build a good storyline and create good matches. Compared to UFC where matches last 30 seconds and there isn't much build-up or hype. Plus those really are 200lb people flipping about in the ring.

Sorry to call you out on this but it's very rare for an mma fight to end in 30 seconds or less especially in the UFC. There is also tons of hype and build-up for fights it's just done in a different way (for an exception see Chael Sonnen). I'd say comparing to sports like mma rather than sports entertainment such as the WWE would make more sense as the favourite (in manga/anime this would be the main character) team/person usually wins. However, you can often genuinely be surprised by the result or how it played out depending on how good the writing is.

As for Monster coming to HBO I for one am incredibly happy and excited. Even if we just get a pilot out of it I think it will be awesome to see. Who knows it could convince Viz to release the the entire anime on blu-ray.

Very Happy
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

Uh, what?

Capeta, Speed Racer and Initial D; take your pick and stop with the ludicrous blanket statements.

(And yes, three isn't much, but it's a lot more than zero. Plus I left out a few.)

Never heard of Capeta.

Speed Racer is fantasy racing (and not that well animated) and Initial D is an illegal street racing anime (and one I really need to get to watching one day).

I'm talking about a show focusing on at least nominally-realistic motorsports.

There was this one OVA about rallying called Goddamn, originally penned by Area 88's Kaoru Shintani. The OVA's limited, but engaging enough. There's also Future GPX Cyber Formula, which is basically Formula-1 with super future cars. The BDs have just come out recently. Along those lines, there's Venus Wars with motorbikes.

For things I haven't seen and rips likely aren't available, there's Circuit Angel and Kaze wo Nuke, both appear to be about bikes and motocross. And in finding that, I see something called Circuit no Ookami II. Stuff's out there, just rare.

For more stuff like Initial-D, there's Wangan Midnight and Ex-Driver.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And anyway, tricked-out civilian vehicles with all their variety and coolness drifting up and down narrow poorly-graded hair-pin-plagued mountain passes sounds a lot more awesome and dangerous (and therefore more fun to watch) than a bunch of generic look-the-same racing cars go the same way 'round a wide and nicely-banked track for hundreds of laps.

Spoken like someone who's never watched a race.

Also, these sure look "wide and nicely-banked", right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuka_Circuit
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordschleife
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Prix_of_Monaco
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_de_Spa-Francorchamps

The Nordschliefe is 14+ miles long and rarely wider than one-and-a-half car widths, and Monaco in particular is infamous for being literally nearly one-lane wide at many parts. In addition, Monaco is the only Formula One track where someone has won because everyone else crashed before he did. One racer (can't remember his name) said that driving in Monaco was like "flying a helicopter in your living room" because the track is absurdly thin (it's built from daily commuter roads)

There's more.

Also they could use Rally, which never uses the same tracks because they're all made from carving out roads in the middle of nature. Actually, a rally anime would be damn interesting...
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

I'm talking about a show focusing on at least nominally-realistic motorsports.

If you want a "motor"sport that's off the beaten path then there's Monkey Turn. Even though Brian certainly indicated that he didn't like it (hell, I'm amazed that he even knew of it), I found Monkey Turn to be a great sports anime based on Kyotei racing. It gets pretty in-depth into how the sport works, the characters are all pretty realistic in how they act, and the races are all pretty intensely handled. The best part, though, is the pacing, which is always moving from one event to the next; there are slower moments, but the show never drags. Unfortunately, the only way to watch the show is via really, really bad bootleg English subs (which have been ripped digitally), and the second series (Monkey Turn V) has never been subbed into English. Luckily, the first show ends on a perfectly fine stopping point.

There's good reason why the original manga tied with Hikaru no Go for the Shogakukan Award for Shonen Manga back in 2000...

*Also, brownie points go to any show that has a song that's a blatant copy of "Where is the Love?" by the Black Eyed Peas*
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:38 pm Reply with quote
foxinthestars wrote:
I'm one of those who's not a sports person --- indeed I might be an anti-sports person --- but sometimes I like sports anime. Chihayafuru is one of my favorites, and it's a sport although it's not your average sport; I could maybe imagine myself playing karuta. I also really like Kuroko's Basketball, even though it still can't persuade me to give a whit about real-live basketball. The one trouble I do have with a lot of sports anime/manga is the "escalation into absurdity" that they can fall prey to; I finally had to drop Prince of Tennis because it just got too crazy for me.

The matter of "dropping" something and the new Answerfan question kind of cross over for me; I'm not really qualified to answer the question because I've pretty much "dropped" American live-action TV shows, and it's like you say with people like your friend; I've just gotten in the habit of going to Crunchyroll rather than the TV when I want to watch something. In the past I've loved Babylon 5, Highlander, Star Trek, etc., but maybe because I've gotten out of the habit and grown away from it, commercials for live action shows tend not to excite me, the form and style aren't what I'm used to making space for, so I end up not watching. As such I would have no idea what network would be appropriate for what and couldn't even guarantee that I would tune in.

Abstractly, there are cases where I think a good adaptation could be great. Like Moribito; it's an awesome yet accessible fantasy epic that I think would lend itself relatively well to live-action (and maybe then I could know what happens past book 2!). Or Hyouka, a slice-of-life/mystery show that's engaging with a good mix of humor and character drama (although I would miss the wonderful animated reasoning sequences if they didn't somehow translate). Those are both based on books, though, um... Good shoujo stuff like Say "I Love You" would translate well...

Just as often, though, I go through my watched list and see cases where I think adapting to live action would be a disservice to the story --- like Someday's Dreamers 2: Sora really relies on the "magic realism" effect, and if the magic looked like SFX it would wreck the whole atmosphere. A lot of others run into similar problems: it's amazing what they can do with special effects these days, but they can't make it look natural in context the way animation/anime can.

Whoa, Karuta is not a sport. You have to be the laziest SOB on the planet to say that. I am on the fence about golf, but Karuta is a game, like chess, shogi, go etc. Not that they are not high level games worthy of respect, in some cases more than sports, but that does not make them a sport.

That aside, I think the sports thing is a shame because Mitsuru Adachi is by far one of the best mangaka there is, but because all of his works are sports related the guy is pretty much unknown in the US despite having, what 4 or 5 manga turned into 50 plus episode anime. I mean he is in rare company with the likes of Takahashi with multiple hit works.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:57 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Whoa, Karuta is not a sport. You have to be the laziest SOB on the planet to say that. I am on the fence about golf, but Karuta is a game, like chess, shogi, go etc. Not that they are not high level games worthy of respect, in some cases more than sports, but that does not make them a sport.

Well, to be fair, anime based on games do tend to have similar executions & feels to that of sports anime, hence why titles like Chihayafuru, Akagi, Saki, & Hikaru no Go are sometimes tossed into talk regarding sports anime. If anything, I'd say that "board game anime" is a sub-genre of sports anime.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:06 pm Reply with quote
The shows use the same structure of competition, rivals, advancing in rank, winning and losing, and all of the other fixings. The only real difference between game and sport would be physical exertion, but according to Chihayafuru, that also happens in the serious rounds when they shut off the A/C.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:26 am Reply with quote
I was talking about racing on proper track circuits. For example, what NASCAR fans see in the sport is beyond me. Formula One when they just race around and around a short little loop in a safe little stadium is also boring as heck.

And Chagen46, back at you buddy; you speak as though you've never watched Initial D. You think a track that gets down to one lane at times is impressive? Try a mountain pass that is only one lane throughout its entire length - it's a one-way way road with no passing lanes - and covered with wet leaves that makes skidding out a real danger. The goal of that race is for the following car not to let the leading car escape out of sight. Every other race in Initial D runs the risk of having a head-on smash with other motorists, because the roads aren't closed. The only safety barriers you have are the basic ineffectual ones the government has provided (i.e. the ones that come with the roads), and if you go through them you face sheer drops off the cliff faces with no rescue equipment standing by. Only a tiny minority of the drivers are racing professionals - 99.9% are just average joes with a driving license - and no driver uses flame-retardant clothing and helmets. Many cars do not have proper roll cages and other safety equipment, and almost no cars have the level of tyres, suspension and brakes you find on racing cars, which means it's more about driver skill than mechanical tuning. Add to that the short races - no boring-arse day-long round-and-round-and-round slogs - it makes for one heck of a sport.

The idea of an Anime about professional rallying does appeal to me though.

CrownKlown wrote:
Whoa, Karuta is not a sport.

Please go away and don't come back till you understand how chess, shogi, go and karuta are sports. There are professional go and shogi players in Japan for crying out loud. Do your research first.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:42 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

This is basically a question of what is the difference between a "sport" and a "game". Which I guess could be an interesting discussion, but in this situation its rather irrelevant.

What we're discussing here should probably be called "Gaming" Anime/Manga. It runs the entire gamut of competitive gaming from Shogi, Karuta and Mahjong to Baseball, Football and Motorsports. Any game can be done as a "sports" anime/manga.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:17 am Reply with quote
Have ya guys seen the ESPN commercial about nerds and jocks?

Nobody likes discussing stats and strategies like geeks and nerds do. Laughing

I'm surrounded by 'em and even in fantasy leagues. In school, the smartest people I know played sports too. Today, computer geeks watching the company TVs all tuned to the playoffs.

As with anime, Eastern holistic philosophy and martial arts teach "sound mind, sound body" - shouldn't develop one without the other, ying and yang.

However, it's just that, sometimes, fact is stranger and even more intriguing than fiction. Some of the true-to-life sports stories out there are something not even Hollywood or anime thought up.

As for parting stat, oh radio dramas, video killed the radio star: Cool

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5