• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Signs Deal with Tatsunoko Production

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:46 pm Reply with quote
ZakuAce wrote:
Please Sentai, don't lose your shirt on this like the last time you signed a big deal with a japanese company.

Those two deals are NOTHING at all alike. Even comparing the two is a little laughable. They simply signed a deal to acquire a number of titles. It's not much different than when Sentai does bundle deals with ComixWave, TBS, or other companies. It just happens to be on a slightly larger scale.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry but I'm going to have to remain skeptical surrounding any new release of 1970's anime by Sentai. If they are serious about delving into classics aside from Gatchaman, I'll have to see it to believe it.

I also doubt that Mach Go Go Go will even get a release unless Speed Racer Enterprises consents to it and whether there will be any interested buyers.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:59 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
I also doubt that Mach Go Go Go will even get a release unless Speed Racer Enterprises consents to it and whether there will be any interested buyers.

I doubt SRE has any say over the original series considering that they are in a lawsuit with Tatsunoko over the license.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-10-30/tatsunoko-sues-over-speed-racer-anime-licensing

Last edited by NJ_ on Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
chao8971

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I am mega happy to hear about more Tatsunoko stuff getting released. I'm hyped for all of this so far, bring on some more.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:18 pm Reply with quote
SJ_ wrote:
I doubt SPE has any say over the original series considering that they are in a lawsuit with Tatsunoko over the license.

Interesting. I never noticed that news story before. Confused

I'm still wondering if Sentai will even express any interest in releases of classic licenses. It is pretty much well known that Discotek has that category in the bag and they are more awesome for it!
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:15 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
KabaKabaFruit wrote:

I doubt SPE has any say over the original series considering that they are in a lawsuit with Tatsunoko over the license.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-10-30/tatsunoko-sues-over-speed-racer-anime-licensing

Speed Racer Enterprises could probably team up with Sentai to help promote the release of Speed Racer in it's uncut subtitle form just like how WEP teamed up with Media Blaster to release the uncut version of Voltron (both Go-Lion and Dairugger XV).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:44 pm Reply with quote
^That would be nice...if Speed Racer Enterprises actually has the license. Rolling Eyes
MarthKoopa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:09 pm Reply with quote
CCharmanderK wrote:
Sentai Filmworks, you never disappoint. Except for when you hire Steven Foster for a dub. I will never forgive you for what he did to Clanand. Ever. *hiss*

Other than some slightly mispronounced names(a problem for a lot of dubs) and Okazaki calling Ryou a "savage whore", and Greg Ayres, what was wrong with Clannad's dub? Everyone seemed to fit their characters and played them very well, with the exception of Ayres most of the time.

Foster only touched the first half of Clannad and none of AS, right?
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:29 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
^That would be nice...if Speed Racer Enterprises actually has the license. Rolling Eyes

Not a license but as a way to "cash in/promote" the Speed Racer franchise. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:29 pm Reply with quote
The Japanese version of Speed Racer hasn't even been released to home video in Japan (the Japanese dub of the movie even kept the American character names). Plus, there just is no Speed Racer without that crazy fast dialogue (oh, how far we've come! Anime hyper). Razz
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:00 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
The Japanese version of Speed Racer hasn't even been released to home video in Japan...

Oh yes it has, the Blu-ray box has been out since July of last year.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B007M8TXQA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avEQ0wZwlx0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f3UoD0JXyA
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:40 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
As much as I enjoyed the Casshern OVA and recent series, I just have no interest in the old hokey anime.

I personally wasn't going to get it myself (1970s or not, the story is two dark for me), but like they say, don't knock it until you've tried it. I mean, even if they had licensed Tatsunoko's very first show (Space "Ace"*, by the way), I would be willing to give it a try, even though it's from the 1960s (not to mention black and white). In fact, the chances of it happening aren't likely (for now, anyway), but I personally would even be willing to take a chance on the original Anime Oyako Gekijou (AKA: Superbook), along with its "second season" Personal Computer Travel Detectives, or even the original Tondera House no Daibouken (AKA: The Flying House)...

*Not to be confused with the unrelated 1984 laserdisc arcade game. The original Japanese title is "Uchuu Ace".
aquascor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:39 am Reply with quote
This sounds good to me Smile

I wonder if any of the Anime Sols shows will show up in the listing like original Tekkaman or the Yatterman shows?
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:43 am Reply with quote
I wonder if Sentai will be dubbing Casshern. They're certainly no stranger to dubbing older titles, like Gachaman and Macross, and Seraphim was even set to redub New Dominion Tank Police before they discovered the right materials weren't available. They also redubbed Grave of the Fireflies. Plus it's not like Casshern is a long series. It's only 35 episodes, shorter than both Macross and Gatchaman (the latter having over 100 episodes).

Also, could it be possible those 11 titles includes the two Gatchaman sequel series?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2