• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fantasista Doll (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:51 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I should be disliking some of this kind of dated feel, but it just feel so nostalgic to one of the first anime I have seen (Card Captors) that I can't help but love those aspects.

For some reason this feels more like the original Pretty Cure. Something about the cutesy little jewels in the phone device and cards for things.
Heinzendegger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:23 am Reply with quote
It sure has some PreCure vibes, the author of the OST/OP is even knonw for making PreCure music (Fresh to Smile) so it really sets up an atmosphere like that.

But when fanservice scenes/shots, or the seinen nature of the show hits in, it feels different right away.

Gotta compliment the show for giving a try at some classical, yet of today already extinct tropes. And the Dolls are hot, even the loli ones.
stardf29

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:30 am Reply with quote
*shrug* I find it kind of hard not to like a show in which enemies can be trapped in giant fish cakes. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:03 pm Reply with quote
From the looks of things, with episode 3, I think I can establish this as a tragicomedy. I mean, there's spoiler[some unsubtle abuse parallels], but spoiler[Katia dresses up as a friggin' mackerel]! There's no way, it's gotta be a tragicomedy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Bango

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:32 pm Reply with quote
We have a new contender for best clip of the season. Madeleine doing her best Mr. T impression spoiler[http://i.imgur.com/Le6pzDt.jpg]. Not quite the same but much closer than any other anime girl's ever gone.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:01 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

I like Madeleine, so an episode focus on her was nice, but Katia stole the episode for me. She spoiler[didn't want to get her outfit wet], that seemed a little different than the carefree image I thought she had, and she ended up in an spoiler[embarrassing mackerel costume, and spent the bath scene trying to get rid of the smell]. Laughing

Also, spoiler[a tea party], the lamest trap that someone has ever fell for. You would think they were a spoiler[music club]. All in good fun.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Bango wrote:
We have a new contender for best clip of the season. Madeleine doing her best Mr. T impression spoiler[http://i.imgur.com/Le6pzDt.jpg]. Not quite the same but much closer than any other anime girl's ever gone.

I laughed my ass off with Madeleine throwing that awesome haymaker.
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I swear, spoiler[the anti-abuse sentiments] get more and more obvious every week. Ironic, considering spoiler[the dolls more or less leech off of Uzume], though the teaser for next week may look to change that part.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

I continue to enjoy this show. There's just something about "friendship among cute girls" that warms the cockles of my heart.

I'm curious as to why the spoiler[Pathetic Prince let Aloe and Shimeji go] - I guess will find that out in a later eppie.

spoiler[Creepy Dude's switch] came around pretty fast, but oh well.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Lol at the mysterious man (most likely spoiler[her teacher]) spoiler[sitting at some random café in full garb, loudly commenting on the battle and getting strange looks]. It is not like the show goes a long way to show that he comes across as incredibly goofy, but he is over the top, he is so silly that it is hard to take seriously. Actually that is pretty much the entire show.

Next episode looks like a Katia episode, so yay.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:32 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
It is not like the show goes a long way to show that he comes across as incredibly goofy, but he is over the top, he is so silly that it is hard to take seriously

My take is that he looks like a typical BL character to either amuse, attract, or at least not threaten a certain demographic they are looking for. This really is a little girls show.

Plot hole: THe sister complains about all the shampoo going missing, yet the dolls all materialize with their own bath kit including what looks like shampoo. (What's the Japanese word for that again?)
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:28 pm Reply with quote
ep4-

I didn't even care much about Shimeji but I liked this ep. I also like that the masters are capable of effecting the battles with more than just their cards if they try.

LOL at the cafe scene.

I wonder if Uzume tried to do some off-camera research on the possible cards at any point. Anyone who's played a lot of CCGs knows you need to not just know the cards in your deck but any possible cards the opponent has too. Although, really, this show seems more relaxed than all that so it doesn't bug me either way.

Between Gat~Cha~Maaaaaaan and Fanta~Sis~Ta~Doll I'm hard pressed for which to use as a texttone on my phone this season. Gatcha is likely going to win but it's a very hard choice for me.
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:32 pm Reply with quote
This episode was a lot less dark, but still pretty good, since the humor worked, not to mention spoiler[Uzume finally having enough of the dolls' crap and making them get off their lazy asses and work for their pleasures].
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me or does Fantasista Dolls seem like a 9-parts-out-of-10 rendition of Rozen Maiden?
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:55 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Is it just me or does Fantasista Dolls seem like a 9-parts-out-of-10 rendition of Rozen Maiden?

Not really, unless just having fighting dolls around is enough to make that sort of comparison.

Of course, there surely is some influence involved. Just probably not to that degree.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6