• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Eligible for Oscar [2005-11-17]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carl Horn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:34 pm Reply with quote
There may also be sympathy towards Nick Park for the recent fire that destroyed his studio, and he certainly deserves an Oscar in this category on his creative merits. However, considered only artistic grounds (which, of course, is only one consideration among many for the Academy) Miyazaki has never made a film that wouldn't at least deserve a nomination, if not necessarily a win. Any Miyazaki film is among the best animated films in the world for the given year it was released.

It would be interesting, although perhaps even more unlikely, for the Academy to nominate an animated film that is not directed at children, such as JIN-ROH or MILENNIUM ACTRESS. Thus far it has been a "for the whole family" category, which is certainly not a standard they would apply to, say, Best Picture. Perhaps recognizing this, I also give Disney credit during the SPIRITED AWAY Oscar campaign for trying to get the film nominations in "regular" categories as well, including seeking a Best Director nomination for Miyazaki.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Carl: Jin Roh never made it, because it was already released on home video in Japan, and Millennium Actress didn't make it, because Dreamworks put all their money into House of Sand and Fog.
Carl Horn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:16 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Carl: Jin Roh never made it, because it was already released on home video in Japan, and Millennium Actress didn't make it, because Dreamworks put all their money into House of Sand and Fog.

In the case of JIN-ROH, I believe the specific factor disqualifying it was its too-early (outside the allowed time window) theatrical release in France (in fact JIN-ROH premiered in France before it did in Japan). MILENNIUM ACTRESS points out another issue; namely, that nominations should not be dependent only on a studio's PR campaign (the Academy officially disapproves of these campaigns anyway, but...).

It's not like there are a huge number of feature-length animated films made worldwide every year; the committee members should be paying attention to developments on their own. I know it doesn't work that way...What I was getting at, though, is the question of whether the Academy would nominate an animated film directed at adults, presuming it otherwise met the qualification rules.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:30 pm Reply with quote
As soon as they start nominating live-action films for adults, I'm sure animation will follow. ^_-
Carl Horn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:33 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
As soon as they start nominating live-action films for adults, I'm sure animation will follow. ^_-

As the Governor would say, "Dat's a good vun."
Erufu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I would like to echo the sentiment of the person that asked what the hell Gulliver's Travel is. IMDB lists no Gulliver's Travel work that has come out in the last couple of years, google just brings up travel agencies, and the Academy Awards web site doesn't give any information about the movies eligible for this category. So, if anybody would like to fill us in, that would be great.
Dernhelm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:44 pm Reply with quote
in terms of animation, i thought Beyond The Clouds, A Place Promised in our Early Days was a sure bet. aww, this is too bad it got overlooked. the level of animation it had felt like it had to be shown to the world, deserving the highest of praises.
wao

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:03 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure Howl's will get a nomination, actually - seeing how Spirited Away won an award, somehow I think they'd probably like to see another anime in the nominations...

But win, I highly doubt. I think Howl's wasn't all that good anyway - there were some serious plot holes and inconsistencies, and it was less subtle than the previous films... It isn't just my opinion only, I've read reviews of the film. But I guess that's not the world... there are positive reviews of it... Still, I think the Wallace and Gromit film has a higher chance of getting the actual thing, even if it's going to get another award.

Oh, whatever, we're not even at the awards themselves yet, let's just wait to hear what the nominations are. I do hope Howl's gets a nomination, even if I didn't like it.
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:39 am Reply with quote
Erufu wrote:
Ok, I would like to echo the sentiment of the person that asked what the hell Gulliver's Travel is. IMDB lists no Gulliver's Travel work that has come out in the last couple of years, google just brings up travel agencies, and the Academy Awards web site doesn't give any information about the movies eligible for this category. So, if anybody would like to fill us in, that would be great.

Gulliver's Travels is an Indian film. Thus, it's...

BOLLime!

cf. Guardian article.

So... am I great? *poses*

Widya Santoso
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Carl Horn wrote:

It would be interesting, although perhaps even more unlikely, for the Academy to nominate an animated film that is not directed at children, such as JIN-ROH or MILENNIUM ACTRESS. Thus far it has been a "for the whole family" category, which is certainly not a standard they would apply to, say, Best Picture. Perhaps recognizing this, I also give Disney credit during the SPIRITED AWAY Oscar campaign for trying to get the film nominations in "regular" categories as well, including seeking a Best Director nomination for Miyazaki.

I think the only way you'll ever see an anime film not from Miyazaki, whether aimed primarily at adults or not, actually get nominated would be if Pixar, Dreamworks/Pacific Data, Aardman, Disney, Fox/Blue Sky, Warner, Paramount/Nickelodeon, and the like all collectively didn't put out any mainstream animated film that particular year. But, if that happened, then the BAF category probably wouldn't even be activated.

Adult-oriented anime films are double niche (niche even compared to Ghibli films). I know the Academy members who choose to participate in the BAF selection commitee are supposed to watch at least 80% of the shortlist, but that number seems a little pie-in-the-sky to me, and I highly doubt that most of them ever do get around to watching the non-Ghibli anime films due to the films getting sub-radar releases and little of any buzz from mainstream critics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BlaqNumbr9

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
BlaqNumbr9 wrote:
The "academy" doesn't care about anime and they won't reward anime, regardless of how good it may be.

So SPIRITED AWAY isn't anime?

Next time, please take a couple seconds to get your facts straight before complaining about how the world is against you.

And what other anime films have won? Or how about seriously nominated having a real chance?! Thank you.

I'm not fighting with you and I don't know where the anger is coming from but dude/gal, I love you.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:19 am Reply with quote
Keep in mind that the category has only been around for the past 4 Oscars.

For a niche sub-medium like anime where the films are at a "visibility" disadvantage compared to the big American animated films, one-out-of-four is actually really good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:22 am Reply with quote
Very few Anime are worth considering, though. Just because it doesn't win doesn't mean that it isn't liked, it just doesn't well... deserve to win?
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:04 am Reply with quote
Call me crazy, but I don't think The Incredibles is a superior film to Millennium Actress or Tokyo Godfathers. Nor is Shrek better than Metropolis or even VHD: Bloodlust.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:46 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Call me crazy, but I don't think The Incredibles is a superior film to Millennium Actress or Tokyo Godfathers. Nor is Shrek better than Metropolis or even VHD: Bloodlust.

In the eyes of the people judging, you know, the people who've been deemed qualified to do so, they aren't. I won't deny that it is still heavily influenced by an individuals taste, though.

But like, do you really need a film award to tell you that you enjoyed/liked/appreciated the film, considering most people here have already seen whichever whenever?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5