• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your thoughts of Elfen Lied

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fui

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:44 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Fui wrote:
Besides, who would watch Elfen Lied for the harem/hentai of it? Doesn't someone's head and arms sliced off kind of ruin the mood?

Have you never heard of "Guro"?

Nope, and I don't think I really want to know >.>

hentai4me wrote:
spoiler[[the young diclonius girl is alone in that house filled with dead people, no other way out except the front door through which the police come in through. We can only assume that the girl killed her family(as they were torn apart) as well as killing several police officers before being killed herself(too young to use her arms to defend herself yet)]]

spoiler[I thought that was Lucy who was annoyed with the sound of the family's voices and decided to kill them (was that her own family?). She used her "arms" to kill everyone, including the police. I think she then got captured, not killed.]
hentai4me

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:08 pm Reply with quote
she got shot multiple times in the chest, a small childs body could not take that kind of punishment and survive.

furthermore if you have seen the special extra episode you will know how Lucy actually got caught...plus if that was lucy where did the bullet holes go? we see her naked often enough to notice something like that!
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Fui wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Fui wrote:
Besides, who would watch Elfen Lied for the harem/hentai of it? Doesn't someone's head and arms sliced off kind of ruin the mood?

Nope, and I don't think I really want to know >.>

No, you really don't.

Fui wrote:
hentai4me wrote:
spoiler[[the young diclonius girl is alone in that house filled with dead people, no other way out except the front door through which the police come in through. We can only assume that the girl killed her family(as they were torn apart) as well as killing several police officers before being killed herself(too young to use her arms to defend herself yet)]]

spoiler[I thought that was Lucy who was annoyed with the sound of the family's voices and decided to kill them (was that her own family?). She used her "arms" to kill everyone, including the police. I think she then got captured, not killed.]

spoiler[Yes, that was Lucy. Lucy is the only diclonius whose pre-captivitiy actions are made known. We also know that she was schizophrenic and essentially had two competing wills within her. I'd say that had a pretty significant effect on her actions.]

And I think Nana proves that not all Diclonius are inately evil. I think the reason Diclonius tend to kill their families is because they are young and lack control of their vectors. Children tend to through fits when they don't get what they want, right? Now imagine that child with high powered weapons attached to their bodies 24/7 that they can't control. I think you can imagine the results.
Ninja_Silva

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I personally haven't seen it yet but my friend has it and has played it over the phone and it sounds way to violent for me. but my friend absolutely loves it
dark_hand

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:32 pm Reply with quote
is it really that gory? i saw the website and the characters look so kiddy. but anyway, i feel like watching it now.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:39 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Fui wrote:

yep and I'm thoroughly disturbed that such a thing exists...if paedeophilia and necrophilia werent enough...

Ah, you can always go to 4chan's /d/ board and experience all the wonderful forms of sexual fetishism. Or not. Nothing like that ever offends me. Just different forms of sexual attraction. Everybody has them, some are just a bit more rare than others.

dark_hand wrote:
is it really that gory? i saw the website and the characters look so kiddy. but anyway, i feel like watching it now.

Yes it's quite gory. Heads explode, hearts get torn out, limbs get cut off, eyes get poked out, etc. Don't let her cute looks fool you, she's actually a mass killer. Seriously.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:59 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:

dark_hand wrote:

Yes it's quite gory. Heads explode, hearts get torn out, limbs get cut off, eyes get poked out, etc. Don't let her cute looks fool you, she's actually a mass killer. Seriously.

The very first thing you see in the show is a man's severed arm. This is followed by about 5 minutes of a naked chick graphically slaughtering the security guards where she was held captive.

It's one of the goriest series I've ever seen. It's as violent and gory as Ninja Scroll (the movie), perhaps even moreso. And it's got a crapload of nudity as well. The trailer, while edited, should give you a good idea of what to expect.
Aero041191

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Ninja_Silva wrote:
I personally haven't seen it yet but my friend has it and has played it over the phone and it sounds way to violent for me. but my friend absolutely loves it

That friend is me! Ninja-Silva, that wasn't even the first episode! It was the second one, were Bandoh got his eyes gouged out. I only have episodes one through four, but this has already reached the top as my favorite anime. It has awesome graphic killing and the character designs are top-notch (if only the manga designs were this good...) The story flows efficiently, the plots are great, character development is superb, and the end of episode cliff hangers are intense. The entire series is laid out from past to present, and the quality is hard to beat. The nudity throughs it off though, and it gets aggrivating when trying to show it to my friends. Were in high school, and they still lack the maturity to deal with the nudity. Argh... I really want to see the rest of this series and I am hoping they will make a second series. (I have seen enough episode summaries and spoilers to allready know what will probably happen.)
AceRyonik

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:38 pm Reply with quote
The diclonius aren't EVIL per se. It's stated in the series that they are basically the natural predators of humans. They kill and seed humans as an instinctive measure in order for the diclonius to be the dominant species. They never hurt any other living beings and would prefer not to fight one another (as Lucy states in the third or fourth episode).

Instincts however can be repressed. Nana isn't the exception- all of the diclonius express this. Lucy doesn't kill Kohta or Yuka out of regret, Nana's devotion to Kurama makes her behave, and Mariko restrains out of fear. Even other diclonius, like the child that seeded Kurama, restrained herself in order to fool her captors into thinking she was in a latent period. Their instincts will inevitably influence their actions, however. Even the level-headed Nana went nuts when she fought Bando.
dark_hand

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:01 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
PantsGoblin wrote:

dark_hand wrote:

The very first thing you see in the show is a man's severed arm. This is followed by about 5 minutes of a naked chick graphically slaughtering the security guards where she was held captive.

It's one of the goriest series I've ever seen. It's as violent and gory as Ninja Scroll (the movie), perhaps even moreso. And it's got a crapload of nudity as well. The trailer, while edited, should give you a good idea of what to expect.

sweet!!
(for pope's sake, that mass murderer looks cuter than the olsen twins)
hentai4me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:53 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

spoiler[Yes, that was Lucy. Lucy is the only diclonius whose pre-captivitiy actions are made known. We also know that she was schizophrenic and essentially had two competing wills within her. I'd say that had a pretty significant effect on her actions.]

no, I really dont think that was Lucy, for one the facial features and hair style are dead wrong for her at that age, second she was shot DEAD, the diclonius might be able to protect themselves with their vectors as they age but they still die just like humans, thirdly we see Lucy naked quite often, did you notice any bullet wounds on her body? Finally during the special extra episode we see how lucy gets captured by Kurama and the Directors son.
Greennunu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:44 am Reply with quote
If you striped down elfin lied, into different category I think you will find that it exceeds above par on almost every level that its categorized in.

So you will find maybe blood/gore fans turned off by the cutesie part of elfin lied, while the people who love story/char dev(me), might think less of an anime because they are focused on the negative things such as how much blood/gore it has.

Although I am bias to think that gore/blood isnt really that necessary in the anime, I still think elfin lied is a great anime, although it might not be one of the best on my list, its because it isn't extremely strong in any particular field, but well rounded in alot of fields.

After watching the anime I didn't feel awe inspired, or thoguht the anime was funny as all hell, or thought the characters were all that cute, it wasn't dramatic enough to make me ask any questions about life, Although its bloody and gorey, but seriously, it's still animated I don't think I can get sick from seeing animated things like that.

Think what im trying to say is, Elfin Lied to me is just a well recycled anime. With no real innovation that I can see of in any genre.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:22 am Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

no, I really don't think that was Lucy, for one the facial features and hair style are dead wrong for her at that age, second she was shot DEAD, the diclonius might be able to protect themselves with their vectors as they age but they still die just like humans, thirdly we see Lucy naked quite often, did you notice any bullet wounds on her body? Finally during the special extra episode we see how lucy gets captured by Kurama and the Directors son.

That's right. Hmmm... I could have sworn it was Lucy. My memory is a bit fuzzy though. Maybe we are thinking about different scenes? I don't know, I haven't watched Elfen Lied in a while.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:22 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
hentai4me wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

no, I really don't think that was Lucy, for one the facial features and hair style are dead wrong for her at that age, second she was shot DEAD, the diclonius might be able to protect themselves with their vectors as they age but they still die just like humans, thirdly we see Lucy naked quite often, did you notice any bullet wounds on her body? Finally during the special extra episode we see how lucy gets captured by Kurama and the Directors son.

That's right. Hmmm... I could have sworn it was Lucy. My memory is a bit fuzzy though. Maybe we are thinking about different scenes? I don't know, I haven't watched Elfen Lied in a while.

the scene I am thinking about is the one where spoiler[a little diclonius girl is in an apartment, the building is surrounded by police who rush into the room. The room is filled with the mutilated bodies of the family and the small girl is in her pyjamas, holding a bear(or something). The police rush past her to check the room, which has no exits other than the front door through which they entered, they find no other living person inside. At the door the small girl pulls the head off one f the policemen and tears the next one in half, the remaining police shoot her multiple times in the chest and she collapses, dead.]
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I guess that wasn't Lucy then. I could have sworn there was a similar scene of Lucy spoiler[murdering an innocent family].
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5