• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The 2.22nd Coming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:25 pm Reply with quote
In the original series, there is an undercurrent (at least, there is IMO) that the destruction of the US Nerv facility was an act of sabotage. It was this act that led to Eva-4, with its S^2 engine, to be sent to the Japan Nerv branch with Eva-01 consequently devouring Eva-04 and ingesting its S^2 engine. Rather convenient, eh?

Certainly Gendo had his hand in a lot of shady dealings, and was using Kaji to impliment some of them (like bringing Adam to Tokyo 3). And as we saw in the episode where Ritsuko sabotaged the non-Nerv robot (the one that Misato managed to shut down before it blew up), they weren't above doing things that would result in a lot of people dying if it meant that they moved their plans forward.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:17 am Reply with quote
I'm jealous they have more Code Geass figurines than me. xD

I agree with them that Clannad's packaging was complete crap I hope that After Story won't have the same issue.
Krotchstak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:07 am Reply with quote
spoiler[I'm actually rather surprised that the idea of Rebuild being a sequel (of sorts) rather than a straight remake is never brought up by reviewers. There is plenty of evidence towards this, from visual clues in the first and second films to the bulk of Kaworu's dialog.

For me, Rebuild only retains its quality so long as it is connected to the original series. I don't feel like it "fixes" any problems, at least not things that were problems from a real-world storytelling standpoint (unless you consider the disturbed psychoses of the main characters a "problem", which I don't. many of the characters were unlikeable, but they were written that way. That Shinji was a wimp was the whole point).

What it does do, I find, is fix small problems in-universe. The issue is that none of the changes have any impact or meaning behind them outside the context of the original series. Without that, they're (largely) arbitrary, and the movie feels like a very pretty and very rushed cash-in. It's possible that they are, and that the hints dropped at it taking place post End of Evangelion (or post Instrumentality, I should say) are red herrings, but that would an incredible disappointment and a squandered opportunity to actually do something interesting and creative with the franchise.]

Either way, I can't wait for 3.0.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:57 am Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:
Julia-the-Great wrote:
I hated Vampire Knight with the fire of a thousand suns. Not because it was particularly bad or anything, but that it was SOOOOOOO mediocre and yet it's so popular. I have the same problem with Twilight.

And there's also the personal bias against it, as when it was originally on, my college's anime club chose to watch it over Rose of Versailles. Freakin' VAMPIRE KNIGHT over Rose of Versailles. Seriously. I have never hated fangirls more than that moment.

That's not really surprising-- whether Vampire Knight is mediocre or not, it has a much wider appeal for youngish people: it's shiny, new, and light on the braincells. Kinda the same reason Twilight is more popular than War and Peace, I reckon, or the reason most people prefer Lucky Charms to Kashi Go Lean. One's a lot better FOR you, but it's hard to resist all that brightly-colored sugar.

I know this is pointless since no one's listening, but as someone who is 70 chapters into Vampire Knight (yes, I read the scans AND buy the books), Vampire Knight is not quite the nice fluffy story people who've only read a few chapter or saw a few eps think it is. Yes, it fools you at first, I almost dismissed it after the first chapter but the next one grabbed my interest. Even though it's dragged a bit in places, I'm still reading. It gets darker the further into the story you go and even though the anime ends with Yuuki apparently making her final choice, in the still ongoing manga, she's been having second thoughts.

As for Twilight, I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole. Vampire Knight may have some similar elements, but as far as story telling goes, it's light years better. I do have have to admit that even though I've seen (and own) the anime, I will agree that the manga is much better. So I wouldn't have minded watching the Rose of Versailles.

If you want to know what I think the manga equivalent of Twilight is, it's Black Bird. I read about 2 volumes and couldn't get into it. And
one other thing, I am also not "youngish".
_V_

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:05 am Reply with quote
While there is always the possibility of sabotage, ultimately there was nothing to firmly establish that; Hyuga even mentions that hundreds of different things could have gone wrong, "and that's not even considering sabotage". In private Gendo and Fuyutsuki also seem to honestly treat it like sabotage. Nonetheless this is a point on which reasonable men might disagree.

Also, I am of a similar opinion with the hints they drop in Rebuild that spoiler[it might be a sequel] although of course I would caution that maybe the creators are just toying with us.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Racheldoublemm wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:

No, the reviewer was much more kind rather than fair.

This show, among more than 300 anime titles I watched, has possibly the most stupid heroine. What was even worse, is that in the show she has tried to "self-analyse" herself, which was another level of pain to watch besides her regular cretinism.

She was not portrayed as cutely as being "just a bit silly"; no, she was presented as seriously idiotic person. For many viewers, this aspect of the show ruined show's chances to be perceived as "believable", basically depriving it's story and heroes of actual empathy.

With Vampire Knight I believe Yuki was crafted to be completely and utterly generic in every way in order for more girls to relate to her. She's at the center of a pack of handsome boys, the only way to keep her from having hated by the female viewers, she can't pick. I hate this aspect because it's basically as you've stated, being completely idiotic.

It was just the shoujo or pretty boys doing pretty things. I've never enjoyed Vampire Knight so I agree with you all the way.

I have more hope in girls than author of this project; I have yet to meet such seriously foolish girl.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:45 pm Reply with quote
JuicyB wrote:
Asuka more healthy in 2.22? She grated on me in every scene she was in, even more so than in the TV series.

Grating doesn't equal emotionally unstable. I thought her phone conversation with Misato was a huge step in a positive direction for Asuka. Also in the scene where she stumbles into Shinji's bed at night they have a great conversation.

_V_ wrote:
....if you are referring to the opening scene in which Gendo and Shinji are at Yui's grave, that happened virtually line for line in episode 15 of the original series.

OMG! I caught the V guy's attention. I'll have to re-watch the series, obviously. I used that scene as an example, but originally I had written about the scene where Asuka stumbles into Shinji's bed (as mentioned above) but I thought it was kind of spoiler-y to mention in the body of the review. I do think at least 2.22 is healthier and happier than the series. The third movie may prove me wrong.

Was it you, V-guy, who wrote that Otaku USA feature that was credited to a website instead of a human?

Racheldoublemm wrote:
With Vampire Knight I believe Yuki was crafted to be completely and utterly generic in every way in order for more girls to relate to her. She's at the center of a pack of handsome boys, the only way to keep her from having hated by the female viewers, she can't pick. I hate this aspect because it's basically as you've stated, being completely idiotic.

You are totally right! I think that's exactly what Yuu Watase says in one of her "Making Manga with Yuu" comics in ShojoBeat in regards to creating shojo protagonists.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:25 pm Reply with quote
For the last time, Vampire Knight is not a harem manga! It's a love triangle! Yuuki has two vampires in love with her, but she's only interested in one of them. And yes, she does chose. (Though it's only final in the anime, at least so far.) True, the human girls fawn over the vampire boys but they are not the focus of the story. But it's obvious no one's interested in the facts so I might as well be posting to the wall.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:36 pm Reply with quote
It's a harem, or rather, a reverse harem.

Just like how Ai Yori Aoshi is a harem despite there being a definite pairing (Kaoru/Aoi) does not stop it from being a harem. The same can be said for Vampire Knight. The girl is surrounded by hot guys just like how the guy is surrounded by hot girls.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:44 pm Reply with quote
So I guess now love triangle = harem? *sigh* I officially give up!
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
While vampires are moody and melodramatic by nature,

I disagree with that. Vampires are evil and malicious by nature, it's been that way since mythology came into being. Vampires became moody and melodramatic because of a certain author, in addition to Meyer and Smith, creator of The Vampire Diaries (which sucks too). Clearly you haven't read Dracula which shows the King of the vampires in all his evil and ruthless glory. Just how a vampire should be.

Quote:
I know Vampire Knight is fairly popular, but it was too middle-of-the-road for me.

It's only popular among fangirls, and maybe a small handful of people who aren't. You're not alone, I found it ridiculous.

Quote:
I managed to get through Fushigi Yuugi, after all, which has, quite possibly, a protagonist as idiotic as Vampire Knight's).

Miaki is quite idiotic, but at least she's somewhat likeable. Not that I cared much for her, but I find her to be better than Yuki.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:56 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
So I guess now love triangle = harem? *sigh* I officially give up!

Do you consider Love Hina a harem?
rinmackie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Apparently then, "harem" is now a catch- all phrase for any type of romantic story. To me "harem" usually means more than two potential pairings. I was also under the impression it usually applies to rom-coms, which Vampire Knight isn't. Besides, as I mentioned earlier, one of the choices isn't considered a serious contender. The female protagonist is in love with only one of the vampires, the other guy she considers a friend.

But whatever, what do I know? I'm just one of those foolish fangirls so my opinion doesn't count.
_V_

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:26 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:

Was it you, V, who wrote that Otaku USA feature that was credited to a website instead of a human?

Still all in love and war is fair, they say,
this be-ing both and turn-about's fair play.

Though I must bear a cuck-old's horns, they're
not a crown that I shall bear alone. You see,
my riv-al, though in-clined to roam, poss-essed
at home a wife that he ad-ored. He'll rue
his prom-is-cu-it-y, the rogue who stole
my only love, when he's informed how
many years it is...

...since first I bedded his.

Illusionary_Systems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The animation is spectacular. I hate to use the phrase “cutting edge” (or worse, “bleeding edge”), but this is it.

I disagree that the animation was spectacular. I'll be upfront and admit that I'm not really a fan of the modern shiny gloss aesthetic that permeates modern anime. Also the CGI Evas did not blend in with the background animation at all. It looked rather silly in my opinion.

Quote:
A new Eva pilot, an American named Mari, is inserted into the franchise. Her character probably exists for fan service(she complains one Eva suit is too small in the chest area) and new merchandise, but she is hardly dead weight.

I felt that the character was simply shoehorned into the franchise at the expense of some of the pre-existing characters. She didn't really do anything of consequence bar add a few hyper action sequences.

This will probaly be perceived as nitpicking but did anyone else think very little thought was put into the design for EVA-05 (the green one)? I mean Mari is an aggressive close range fighter and all those additional appendages served little purpose other than to get in the way/blasted off. It's so Bandai or whomever can make yet another model kit no doubt.

Also I think the music chosen for spoiler[the scene where Shinji is trying to save Rei (and then rainbows appear!)] was poorly chosen.

There are some positives though. spoiler[Having Rei II survive the Kamikaze attack could allow further development of her personality and character.]

Quote:
IfHideaki Anno wrote Evangelion when he was depressed, Eva 2.0 is a rebuild by a man who is now self-satisfied and has learned something about dealing with emotions.

I would agree that this is an Evangelion written by a changed man. However I think the reboots are simply reflect the changed outlook on life of the director rather than just being improvements over the TV series and first film.

Sorry to be so disagreeable but I expected more from the Rebuild of Evangelion this far, and simply rearranging scenarios by character substitution I feel is a little off.

Thanks for the review!

Last edited by Illusionary_Systems on Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5