• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I'm curious about the edits in Naruto Episode 18...

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Can anyone post some pictures with the edits for Naruto Episode 18 (the one that just aired on CN)? I'm curious as to what CN, or Viz or whoever, wanted to cut out of that episode.

Thanks.
patch

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what was edited since I haven't been keeping up with Cartoon Network version, but Naruto Palace has been keeping a pretty good list:

Naruto Censors and Edits

He's a little behind (currently up to episode 16) so they don't have the latest episode, but the site is regularly updated. Would be nice if Kyle kept us up to date here, but seems he's slacking Wink
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Hey, thanks for the link!

The guy - Lai - on that website says it will be updated tomorrow...So I'll check again then.

Anyway, it's nice to see a Naruto fansite that doesn't center on illegal fansubs and manga translations.
Bl00dHoUnD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:15 am Reply with quote
Episode 19 of Naruto was by far my favorite episode... they better not have serious edits in it, although they definitely would have to have some edits, but probably only blood and mentioning of demons.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Isaaru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Anyway, it's nice to see a Naruto fansite that doesn't center on illegal fansubs and manga translations.

Yes, indeed. The censor comparisons are kinda funny. It reminds me of some of those kiddy activity books where you have to spot the difference.

Anyway, I was a shocked on how much blood they allowed on the Toonami running of episode 18.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:07 am Reply with quote
I think it was in episode 17, not sure (when Narutospoiler[fights Haku after his powers come out]), I noticed a strange lack of an edit. Well in the third or fourth episode, when Naruto and Sasuke kissed by accident, they never showed it,you just heard the kissing but it showed the other students staring. But, in episode 17, there's a scene where Naruto is having flashback about all these moments with him and Sasuka, and several small screenshots were shown on screen, one of them being the two of them kissing,unedited. I never would've noticed this until my brother said "when did they kiss?". I thought it was kinda funny how the censors didn't catch that. I bet some kids were confused when they saw that lol.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:46 am Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
But, in episode 17, there's a scene where Naruto is having flashback about all these moments with him and Sasuka, and several small screenshots were shown on screen, one of them being the two of them kissing,unedited. I never would've noticed this until my brother said "when did they kiss?". I thought it was kinda funny how the censors didn't catch that. I bet some kids were confused when they saw that lol.

I think they did. But since it's a lot of images put together in the background... that would be a big pain to substitute the image without getting rid of the rest, rather than what they have been going earlier by completely cutting scenes and replacing them with a less violent still image.

But then again, i would like to know sometime how they digitally remove the blood, edit, etc. in anime...
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:10 am Reply with quote
It's not THAT hard, you use masking. You basically cover up the blood with a "patch" that's the same color as the area under it. In most scenes the object in question doesn't move too much, and if they do move, it's in a predictable way that is easy to "track" with the color patch. The hard part is when they either have to cover over a very detailed scene (such as a blood stray that moves across an entire background), or when the object that's "patched" is moving in excentric ways (such as when a head turns, rather than just movinged around on the screen).
dirtyharry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:18 pm Reply with quote
You said it wasn't hard but the description you gave was quite detailed and sounds pretty intense.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:33 pm Reply with quote
It's not as hard as it sounds. Basically, on most scenes, drawing out a patch over blood would take a few minutes on the first frame, and then, given the relatively static nature of most such shots, you could reuse that patch until the end of the scene, or perhaps move it around a little (which is easy in AE or similar programs). It takes work, but not a crazy amount of work most of the time.
RezSav

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I think this edit is a little more interesting, it was from ep 4
Quote:
In the original Japanese version, Kakashi actually poked Naruto in his butt-hole and it showed his fingers were up Naruto’s butt. The name of it was called Hidden Leaf Village’s Thousand Years of Pain. The following frame was not shown on Cartoon Network.
Naruto
Qvalster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:51 am Reply with quote
Jum...

You guys have just started see the serie...
Ok, then I can tell you to keep watching !!!!
Im on episode 166 and i can tell that the serie just gets better and better until episode 110-120...
Then it gets boring :>
And, buy Naruto The Movie when you are around 60-70 Wink
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:21 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the movie was one of the better anime series movies, not as good as Shamballa, but way better than most.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1