• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doubleO7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Rightstuf:
preordered Tenchi Muyo OVA Series DVD/BD combo
preordered Tenchi in Tokyo DVD
ordered Big O Season 1 DVD

Best Buy:
preordered Tenchi Muyo Movie Collection DVD/BD combo*

*Best Buy has this discounted at $32.99. Luckily I had $40 on a gift card that covered the entire cost.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Looks like a bunch of people are jumping on the Tenchi Blu Rays. What kind of quality are we expecting from Funimation on these? I don't usually double dip unless the quality is REALLY good, so if its just an upscale, I think I'll pass on them.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:11 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
Looks like a bunch of people are jumping on the Tenchi Blu Rays. What kind of quality are we expecting from Funimation on these? I don't usually double dip unless the quality is REALLY good, so if its just an upscale, I think I'll pass on them.

To my knowledge, these aren't upscales (or if they are, they're damn good looking ones). The JP BDs of the OVAs looked amazing, the 2nd and 3rd movies looked great, the first movie... looked good but it could've been better. But Geneons old DVDs for the movies were non-anamorphic, which this new release would obviously rectify (so regardless of quality, this is a big plus).
potatochobit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:29 am Reply with quote
the tenchi OVA Blu-rays are EXCELLENT

if you have a roku, download the funimation app and you can watch some of them in HD. or you can register for the free 2 week trial to watch on a PC.
Altacia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:33 am Reply with quote
Natsume shipped.

Very Happy

Now I just wonder if it can get from Cali to Kentucky by Saturday.

Laughing
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:41 am Reply with quote
Yesterday I finally got my Cheerful Japan Miku, which had been sitting in "handoff to airline" for days.

RightStuf also shipped Yotsuba&! volumes two and three, Hidemari Sketch season 1 and Girl Friends omnibus one; my Digimon Adventure collection looks like it should ship soon as well. I'm going to be such a happy boy when those come in!
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:41 am Reply with quote
Wonderful Wednesday pick ups:

Today being Wednesday I went and got the following Manga from the comic shop:
Arisa volume 9
Dawn of the Arcana volume 6
Devil & Her Love Song volume 5
Drops of God volume 6
GA Geijutsuka Art Design Class volume 4
Ghost In the Shell volume 1.5
GTO 14 Days In Shonan volume 5
Jiu Jiu volume 2
Paradise Kiss volume 1
Skip Beat volume 29

Shortly after I got home and was doing my preliminary gloat over the new manga, FEDEX stopped by and delivered:

From RACS
Someday’s Dreamers II complete collection DVD
Natsume’s Book of Friends Seasons 1&2 DVD
Heaven’s Memo Pad complete collection Bluray
Kaleido Star Season 2 (New Wings) & OAVs SAVE edition
Maware-Penguin Drum: Princess of the Crystal Figma Action Figure
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Nice haul, Alan45! It's been a sort of good news/bad news day for me delivery-wise. Good news: my used Ah! My Goddess Complete Collection showed up and it is indeed the complete collection. I can't say it's in the most pristine condition, but acceptable, imo. Especially since it cost me the grand sum of $8.69 including shipping.

Not so good with the Rurouni Kenshin Premium Box 3 set I ordered from Newbury Comics via Amazon.com. Instead of getting the Premium Box that I paid $75.07 CAD including shipping for, I got a single, regular RK DVD volmue called Shadow of the Wolf (has eppies 28 thru 31 on it). Yeah, I'm pissed. And yeah, email has been sent off to Newbury Comics. I really hate having to deal with shit like this.

Another disappointment came via TRSI. Back on August 10th, I had ordered both Occult Academy Premium Edition and the Durarara!! BD boxset. I specifically ordered at that time because OA had sprung a counter and was getting low, so I pulled the trigger. For a while, it was showing up in my order as Reserved for Your Order, all well and good. Fortunately, I have a habit of rechecking my orders frequently and on Sunday I noticed the status for that item had changed to "On Order from Manufacturer."

I was mystified because I knew I had not made any changes to that order, so I didn't understand how the status could change. Checked in with TRSI and found out that when I ordered there were four copies left, so I was good. However, one of those four items turned out to be defective and the other three slobs who ordered it had beaten me to the punch.

Well, I can't risk losing out on that item and then trying to scoop it up on the wonderful OOP market, so I cancelled my order with TRSI and placed one with NISA which still has the item in stock. I also canceled the Durarara!! BD so the entire order is gone. I'll reorder that title from TRSI at a future time, but I don't need it now.

As it turns out, this may end up saving me money in the long run. If I don't have to pay a handling fee and sales tax upon delivery of OA, then the $10.95 that NISA charges for shipping would be less than the $9.95 + 13% sales tax I would have to pay with the TRSI package. We'll see, I guess.
lem

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:24 pm Reply with quote
two thin LP sized books with soft velvet like covers, one bright red and the other black, finally arrived via EMS from Japan. Both were inside of this nice artbox. Once I finish Our Home's on dvd, I'll be doing my first view of all 8 of these blu's back to back.

my Tuesday's had to have wasn't going to put it off 'til next year or wait until it disappeared from TRSI:
Gunbuster Figure: Gunbuster Yamaguchi Revoltech
Locke the Superman DVD
Queen's Blade: Visual Collection Artbook (Color)
Irresponsible Captain OVA Limited Edition Ultra DVD Box Set
Yoshitaka Amano: Collected Art of Vampire Hunter D
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

I was mystified because I knew I had not made any changes to that order, so I didn't understand how the status could change. Checked in with TRSI and found out that when I ordered there were four copies left, so I was good. However, one of those four items turned out to be defective and the other three slobs who ordered it had beaten me to the punch.

I'm gonna pretend I was one of those three, even though I ordered my copy on August 6th. It makes it feel specialer.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote
So what you're saying is that YOU have my copy of Occult Academy.

Huh.

What did you say your address was, again?

eta: so I got back an email from Newbury Comics and, unfortunately, they don't have the item they were supposed to send me (Rurouni Kenshin Premium Box Set 3) in stock any longer, but they are giving me a full refund and I don't have to mail back the wrong item they sent me.

I've ordered another Premium Box Set 3 through Amazon.com (sold by Apex Media). This is going to be cheaper for me in that the cost of the set is $49.49 (versus $63.94 through Newbury Comics) and the shipping is only $7.98 versus $12.29 - almost a $20 savings.

The only thing that makes me a bit nervous is that the condition of the item is listed as "acceptable" but there is no specific description provided, so god knows what it's gonna look like...

*crosses fingers*
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Since they're shipping out now:

From Amazon and third-party retailers:
Paprika Blu-ray
Patlabor: The Movie DVD Limited Edition
Paradise Kiss GN 1
Redline Blu-ray
Romeo x Juliet Parts 1 and 2 DVD
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya DVD 1 Limited Edition
Twin Spica GN 2
Wandering Son GN 2
With the Light GN 6

My Paprika DVD broke and I wanted to upgrade anyway, the reputation of Patlabor made me curious, Redline looks really pretty, and I gave away my previous TMoHS LE box to a friend because it was all damaged after years of mistreatment (by me). I also ordered two of the Patlabor movie; one for myself and the other as a very late birthday present to a friend. I've also bought Romeo x Juliet once again for myself, since I originally gave them to another friend. (Such lovely interior cover art!) Also, I have now completed collecting With the Light. Hooray!
GDFan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Newbury Comics

Their anime selection is actually much better than Best Buy, although half of it is pre-owned. But I thought they are more of a local thing. I would not have never thought Canadiens would know of Newbury Comics.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Well, the only reason I know of them is that they are an Amazon.com marketplace seller. And that Premium Box 3 is still listed on Amazon, even though I was told they don't have it any more, so I guess they don't update religiously.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Since they didn't send it to you, they probably still do have it. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 960 of 1400