• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chobits (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I've just finished watching the first DVD of Chobits and I'm rather inclined to think that Hideki is the biggest idiot that I've come across in anime.

I have to say that I do think that Usagi of Sailor Moon, Yurika of Martian Successor Nadesico and pretty much the entire cast of Galaxy Angel periodically make me want to reach into the TV and smack them upside the head a couple of times...but not this guy...

The whole episode where he sends Chi, with Sumomo, out to buy underwear, while I laughed at what Chi was doing/going through (Poor Sumomo!), I wanted to take a baseball bat upside Hideki's head!

Am I the only one who has felt this way? Does the story get better...PLEASE?!!!?
daxomni

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Sure, it does get better and there is more of a story to Chobits than just buying underwear. But, honestly, isn't Chobits mainly about guys enjoying a very young and innocent looking robot as it gets into all sorts of surprisingly mature situations? It's been a long time since I watched it, but I'm pretty sure Chobits was meant to appeal to something other than folks looking for a good storyline.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:44 pm Reply with quote
"Better" is a relative term... the only episode out of that entire series I liked was the last one. I can't believe I even sat down and watched the whole thing.

daxomni wrote:
...but I'm pretty sure Chobits was meant to appeal to something other than folks looking for a good storyline.

God, I'd hope so. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kilgamayan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:51 pm Reply with quote
The male leads in harem shows and casual love-love shows tend to be morons as a rule. It allows for greater humor.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:53 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
I'm pretty sure Chobits was meant to appeal to something other than folks looking for a good storyline.

The anime, maybe. The manga actually has my favourite storyline in all of CLAMP.
Alucalb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:03 am Reply with quote
Hideki is less stupid in the manga. The whole panty shopping incident was just drawn-out filler. Read the manga, skip the anime. Your brain will thank you for it.
blitz5000

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:33 am Reply with quote
Yeah...the underwear scene kinda dumbs you down...(makes you wanna tear something apart -_-)...but it made me laugh though.. Very Happy
Mylene

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:35 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I've just finished watching the first DVD of Chobits and I'm rather inclined to think that Hideki is the biggest idiot that I've come across in anime.

He is. At least in my opinion. I nearly stopped watching after that first DVD. I hated it. But then, I remembered that I hated the first DVD of Love Hina and liked some of the rest of the show, so I decided to give it another chance.

Chobits isn't particularly great in my opinion, but it does get at least a little better as the show moves on and Hideki's magazine collection and obsession with taking everything Chii does sexually finally stops being so much of the focus. I rather enjoyed some of the sideplots regarding Hideki's friends, even if I didn't like him at all, nor much of the main plot.

Oh, and by the way...regarding Usagi. I totally agree about wanting to hit her. Although I must say, in episode 73, she is the most realistic and non-idiotic as she's ever been at the end. Very refreshing. (Sorry, just had to mention it as I'm rewatching the series and just viewed that episode yesterday.)
Enjeru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:42 am Reply with quote
Being an idiot is usually a staple in a harem series for the male lead. At least he is not as perverted as some of them can be....well for the exception of the first few episodes and a few spots throughout.
About 1/2 way through the series the story picks up. I would recommend finishing the series. Without giving anything away, all the little side stories are relevent and do come together nicely.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bennyb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:24 am Reply with quote
I almost have trouble believing the manga storyline is really that great, if the anime is based on it.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:19 pm Reply with quote
bennyb wrote:
I almost have trouble believing the manga storyline is really that great, if the anime is based on it.

The anime was made after only 3-4 volumes of manga were out, and thus the plot had to be completely different. In fact, from what little of the anime I did see, it hardly seemed to have any plot at all, though they had at least started to introduce the storybooks, which they handled pretty well.

The manga really has a very interesting story to it but the anime just massacres it, IMO.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Another commonly ignored thing about Hideki, as well as several other prominent romantic comedy leads is that he's not a Tokyo native.

You see, much as Parisians in France, Tokyo dwellers have a rather snobbish view of anyone from outside the city. Hideki Motosuwa, along with Keiichi Moriisato of Oh! My Goddess, is originally from Hokkaido - a province best known for its beef farming. Another well-known male lead, Tenchi Masaki of Tenchi Muyo, is another example, hailing from Kurashiki in Okayama.

Basically, male leads in these anime, as well as many others, are portrayed as country bumpkins, shocked by all the crazy "big city" things they see. The positive traits to this are a naivete and wholesome goodness that's always shown in the characters (you know the traits, hard-working, loyal, honest).
papa john

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:26 am Reply with quote
id have to say STOP BUYING THE DVD'S! if you havnt opend them return them quickly before they make you stupid Anime dazed ! the manga actually has a good story. i bought the second to last chobits dvd and they changed the ending of the story around for that dvd... and they made the scene look horrible and their is no beach scene in the manga..

chobits is actually a really good manga and hideki is in no way more of a pervert then the average man, he never once does/trys to do anything with chi. he's also not an idiot... but you do get that from the dvd.. the only thing is he doesnt understand computers...

i own all the volumes for this manga and just orderd the last 2 about 4 days ago but I've already read them, i just want to OWN them for future reading. on a side note you do sorta.. see chi kinda topless in a few of the pages.. maybe 3? which i dont think happens in the dvd.. and you can order the books from www.borders.com for 9.99 if your order goes over $25 its free shipping.. about 8 business day for delivery.. but if a book isnt in stock it will take longer..(about a month) also if you buy 4 books you get one of them for free. food for thought
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:56 am Reply with quote
papa john wrote:
id have to say STOP BUYING THE DVD'S! if you havnt opend them return them quickly before they make you stupid Anime dazed !

Too Late Crying or Very sad It's a box set! Crying or Very sad Laughing Laughing Laughing
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:14 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
papa john wrote:
id have to say STOP BUYING THE DVD'S! if you havnt opend them return them quickly before they make you stupid Anime dazed !

Too Late Crying or Very sad It's a box set! Crying or Very sad Laughing Laughing Laughing

Well, we did warn you Smile

Hopefully you can find something to like in there at least.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 13