• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nobunaga the Fool (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I don't think spoiler[Himiko is actually dead yet in episode 22 but that's a lot of death flags thrown in for the PV.]

Also, some respect for Saru this week. I got some respect for this guy now, a lot more than I originally had anticipated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Whole "love" thing makes no sense -- the show fails to offer convincing reasons why all this drama happens and what main character's issue with Arthur's approach, and how character would save everybody otherwise.

Also, the show again turns to useless random deaths of characters, which could have happened earlier or never.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Episode #22 is at it again with the boldest nonsense of the show about how spoiler[murder of the adolescent heir was supposedly inevitable (there were a lot of ways to deal with issue without murder; for example, kidnapping, hiding him).]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Ep 23

As usual, good job, Jeanne! It's always the smart move to spoiler[throw away your trump card] in a clutch situation!
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:47 am Reply with quote
^Ditto

Like, spoiler[Himiko just gave her life to save Nobunaga and Jeanne is throwing everything down the gutter five minutes later.] Give me a break.

Other than that, I really liked the episode. I would confidently say this show has had some of the best portrayals of Hideyoshi, Nobunaga and Mitsuhide (and the dynamics between the three of them) of all the silly Sengoku anime I've watched. I also appreciated that spoiler[Uesugi Kenshin came back (halfway combined with Date Masamune, for some reason)]
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:00 am Reply with quote
Yeah, Jeanne effed the dog on that one pretty good. Not sure why she thought that would end up having a positive outcome for her and her group.

One thing I'm liking is how this show is commenting on and referring to Christian mythology pretty heavily, in that Arthur's desire is to use 'Chosen' that have resurrected from the dead (a reference to Christ?) to save the world, in which everyone's afterlife reward is to go to an eternally stagnant and homogeneous place, and that we require death or a kind of apocalyptic day of judgment to achieve such salvation. Sounds a lot like Christianity's world setup, doesn't it? And it makes sense that the westerners would be the ones to see things this way, and try to influence things in a manner based on that worldview, and this is messing everything up. Quite a critical take on Christianity. I like it.

Also don't forget that they say Arthur's world will be him 'locking himself in his own garden (of eden)': For him, another celebration of ignorance and stagnation.
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:27 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
Quite a critical take on Christianity. I like it.

It's a critical take on a popcultural overgeneralization that doesn't engage Christianity in any kind of thoughtful manner. We could just as well say: "Hey, Buddhism thinks that life is full of suffering, so we need to seek Nirvana, but that's wrong. Let's enjoy life!"
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 25/Finale:

Huh, so they went with a spoiler[climatic battle especially in the second half there. Finally, there's a the hint that Nobunaga and Jeanne were resurrected in the modern world.] For some reason, I saw that coming. I'm not sure what to think of this show overall tbh. Sometimes, I enjoy it, other times I'm not too interested in it especially in the first half.

I think I'll rate this decent for now since the second half did catch my attention more than I had expected to.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:13 pm Reply with quote
My sentiments, to a tee. That finale was kind of a mess. I couldn't explain what happened to anyone, although I think I have a vague idea of the outcome. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to feel sad, or relieved, or satisfied, because I'm feeling mostly meh. But I don't care enough to try to think hard enough to work it out. Smile
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:19 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I have no [expletive] clue of what happened there. I think they tried tospoiler[ pull a Lelouch], but it didn't come off as grandiose as they seem to believe.
I'm also kind of pissed at how Mitsuhide's struggle with himself throughout the series -the one place were the writing had excelled to a point- was completely cheapened by making himspoiler[ Arthur's blind follower]. Oh well, at least he never lost his fabulous hair flip

Also, spoiler[Nobunaga's last minute romance with Jeanne] was so forced all I could do was roll my eyes.

With the exception of this episode, though, I generally enjoyed the series, and I think it managed to do some interesting stuff, especially with Nobunaga and Mitsuhide. I think they tried to chew more than they could bite and found themselves unable to wrap it all up in a way that made any sense at all, so we got this completely incomprehensible ending. Rating it Good
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Oh good, so it wasn't just me? I figured it probably made more sense to people who were paying more attention than I was. Smile
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:20 am Reply with quote
The whole thing makes no sense. No wonder ANN rating for the show is "Decent", which in reality means one level lower, "So-So".
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:37 am Reply with quote
What didn't make sense? The whole ending was "screw prophecies, chaos and order". Jeanne, Mitsuhide and Nobunaga in the end chose to do what they deemed important for them and not what some kind of prophecies, wishful thinking and quasi-magic-scientific mumbo-jumbo prescribed. Was it well done though? I don't think so. They got across the themes, but not in a way I found skillful or compelling.

I also don't think there was enough in the series to justify Nobunaga and Jeanne being lovey-dovey from his part. Maybe they were trying to bring in some parallels from the actual relationship between Nobunaga and Ranmaru, but I don't know Japanese history well enough to comment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6