• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Mangaka Suggests Kill la Kill May Be Plagiarized

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigivel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:16 pm Reply with quote
shiranehito wrote:

If author can simply claim plagiarism just because similar theme, I must say it's ridiculous. It's basically like saying "Every mecha anime plagiarize Gundam and every ninja anime plagiarize Naruto" and "Every magical girl anime plagiarize Sailor Moon!"

Just Noting one thing! Those titles you said aren't the pioneers(the first ones) of those themes(genres. Ninja isn't a genre), not even close! Those are the current most popular titles with those themes, nothing else!

The first Mecha to exist is: Mazinger Z, and the first Transformation girls is: Cutey Honey.
I don't know what is the first manga centred in Ninja, but even Dragon Ball had ninjas before that it, and Fuma no Kojirou(a manga from the same magazine but from 1983) was a mixture of Ninjas and Highschollers(Basically is a about Ninjas, but their clothes are that of students and they indeed go to normal schools).
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Imaishi and Nakashima are just taking millions of anime clichés and presenting them in a high-powered, visually interesting way with a few new quirks.

It's what Gurren Lagann was, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Myaow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Aww, I was hoping for a truly scandalous scandal to gawk at, but it doesn't look like there's any foul play going on here at all. It looks to me like both series are just accessing the same anime storytelling memes. I mean, the super powerful student council is like a farcical stock motif at this point, CLAMP School made sure of that years ago.

The Gakuen manga's art looks pretty cool though!! I wouldn't mind giving it a read!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:50 pm Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

We should remember this next time Hollywood copies something we like. Laughing

Or even plagiarizes anime, while they're at it.

(Oh, what, I was talking about Inception, not the Disney movie!)

Lion King is Hamlet! Razz

(And Atlantis and Black Swan and Hunger Games and The Matrix and Quentin Tarantino..........)

How about that new film Her:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzV6mXIOVl4

• In the new Spike Jonze film, Her, a man falls in love with his operating system. In some ways it’s a commentary on modern society and our increasingly intimate relationship to technology; it's about the smartphones we bring to bed and the computers we wear to work. But there is also a lot of truth to the idea that people might fall in love with the ever more intelligent machines that they spend a greater amount of time with each day. For many of the psychologists, social scientists, and experts in artificial intelligence who study this kind of relationship, it’s not a matter of if, but when.

Jonze explores similar themes in Her. "You always wanted to have a wife without the challenges of dealing with anything actually real," scolds one of Theodore's (Joaquin Phoenix’s) former lovers on learning that he’s in a relationship with his operating system. Bonnie Nardi, a professor at the Department of Informatics at the University of California Irvine, says most people today don’t believe they could fall in love with their computer. "They do, however, wish that love could be so simple," she says. "So programmable. So attainable. Computing machines beguile us because we have the dominion to program them."

That's obviously plagiarizing Love Plus and otaku! Laughing

Tomibiki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Ooooh baby, juicy.
rydia251

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
*also points out that her avatar is from HaruToki, actually*

Been wondering about your avatar for a long time now. I can now die happy. Seriously. Very Happy
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Really? REALLY? You've gotta be kidding me.
StormVanguard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Anyone know where i can find Daisuke Ihara's Akuto.
I'm interested but i can't even find it anywhere to buy.

Also look closely regarding Gakuen Noise.. even the character design lines up. I'm sorry but your arguments about plagiarism is downright retarded, at least admit KLK is using GN as a template but you might as well say they're tracing.

To sum it up it's borderline plagiarism the only thing that makes it okay is small changes regarding character design and story, very small.. if there is anything else strikingly different it's because KLK went beyond the 17 chapters of GN after taking a bunch of ideas.

Shingeki No Kyojin is doing the same with the Muv-luv trilogy which is why the author himself claimed he was plagiarizing, which is no joke theirs more then enough proof to back up his paranoia such as the changing of his ending. Refer to the article "I Dumped Its Shocking Ending" without edits and with Q&A.

Do i think Isayama hajime plagiarised Muv-Luv?.. no but he's obviously using a huge portion of alternative as a template, it's not as disgusting as mirroring character designs and being entirely unoriginal and it's forgivable considering how badass 3D gear is.

But i still like both, i just wish people would see things for the way they are. And seek out originals that have been forgotten, instead of throwing off an authors cries while a series with essentially the same idea as his gets more praise.

In a way i can understand his desperation.
But despite saying all of this i will continue to watch KLK and enjoy it, but i will more then likely end up buying Gakuen Noise and Akuto.

Last edited by StormVanguard on Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Himeko90

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:38 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:

But if we can use this to dispose to the garbage all those moe, harem fanservice and imouto anime that have the same plot and heck even characters that cannot be differentiated then lets go ahead with this BS Laughing

Pffffffftttttttt............
rydia251

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Himeko90 wrote:
dan9999 wrote:

But if we can use this to dispose to the garbage all those moe, harem fanservice and imouto anime that have the same plot and heck even characters that cannot be differentiated then lets go ahead with this BS Laughing

Pffffffftttttttt............

I guess you think leaving off the roll-eyes will keep your troll post from being deleted like the last one. I don't like dan9999's post and do like "moe" (however anyone defines it), but try harder.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:48 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer:
Quote:
Just because someone makes something doesn't mean they hold the monopoly on it.

Um, yes they do. It's called copyrighting, trademarking, and patenting.

enurtsol: Get your analogies straight. Her ripped off Electric Dreams. Cool
Himeko90

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:49 pm Reply with quote
rydia251 wrote:
I don't like dan9999's post and do like "moe" (however anyone defines it), but try harder.

There is nothing to "try harder" for. His post was clearly written to get a rise out of people and I gave it a response that I felt was appropriate for the situation (but feel free to continue lecturing me on the effort that I should put into my comments).
shiranehito

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:54 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:

Just Noting one thing! Those titles you said aren't the pioneers(the first ones) of those themes(genres. Ninja isn't a genre), not even close! Those are the current most popular titles with those themes, nothing else!

Yeah, I know I didn't say the name of the pioneers. I only put whatever title that works and popular. Because I bet that Gakuen Nonsense-thing is also not the pioneer of transforming clothes and school battle. People can just accuse this plagiarize that just because they want to without knowing the facts.
Even there were fans who accused Houkago no Pleiades as a plagiarism to Madoka Magica, just because Madoka is much more popular. Yeah, the main character has pink hair and it's about magical girl, but still, there are tons of magical girl anime with pink hair before Madoka.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:10 am Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:

Or even plagiarizes anime, while they're at it.
(Oh, what, I was talking about Inception, not the Disney movie!)

Let's not go there, last time I check, I didn't see Sony Picture or Madhouse putting any lawsuit against Warner Bros or Christopher Nolan, and I didn't see Inception facing any ban in Japan when it got released.

enurtsol wrote:

Lion King is Hamlet! Razz

(And Atlantis and Black Swan and Hunger Games and The Matrix and Quentin Tarantino..........)

How about that new film Her:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzV6mXIOVl4

• In the new Spike Jonze film, Her, a man falls in love with his operating system. In some ways it’s a commentary on modern society and our increasingly intimate relationship to technology; it's about the smartphones we bring to bed and the computers we wear to work. But there is also a lot of truth to the idea that people might fall in love with the ever more intelligent machines that they spend a greater amount of time with each day. For many of the psychologists, social scientists, and experts in artificial intelligence who study this kind of relationship, it’s not a matter of if, but when.

Jonze explores similar themes in Her. "You always wanted to have a wife without the challenges of dealing with anything actually real," scolds one of Theodore's (Joaquin Phoenix’s) former lovers on learning that he’s in a relationship with his operating system. Bonnie Nardi, a professor at the Department of Informatics at the University of California Irvine, says most people today don’t believe they could fall in love with their computer. "They do, however, wish that love could be so simple," she says. "So programmable. So attainable. Computing machines beguile us because we have the dominion to program them."

That's obviously plagiarizing Love Plus and otaku! Laughing

Wow, didn't know a film like this. Might check it out and compare it to Love Plus.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:35 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

Wow, didn't know a film like this. Might check it out and compare it to Love Plus.

People aren't aware of other stuff Hollywood makes. It's an adult take on the "waifu" phenomenon. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5