• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blade & Soul (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:39 am Reply with quote
ep.10

spoiler[
arka on run being hunted yet still messed-up damage to point when beat the wolves til arm bitten to hid in cabin then found old couple give notice her symbol cause 3yrs ago they lost their daughter to female with a symbol give husband want revenge but wife go help arka.

during with husband want avenge his daughter yet wife go like "will revenge it bring back their daughter?" saying type speech give arka being don't save me yet wife want help give her glass wrist band, fix arka arm, food, & winter coat.

yet after having dream in fields of flowers from her master sayings give arka then overheard old couple mention daughter got killed by arka give cue run away yet wife tell her i forgive you yet arka goes i'm sorry yet husband said objects can be fixes but lives will not.

arka & old wife visit daughter grave yet husband having mix feel pull the trigger yet did but it was wife who took the shot then husband going NO what have i done cue ate his rifle boom & with arka got blood on face going why?!

also hazuki & roana wonder going on between arka & karen give hearing little girl rumor & hazuki not drunk go visit get some answers yet while karen wonder her "revenge is pointless", burn pic & box of her lover, yet being "hmm" on hazuki & roana.

& oh varrel's 2 comrades are now ready in for 2nd coming on varrel yea her hand is moving.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

*claps*
This was a phenomenal episode, I enjoyed this so much and consider it the best one of the entire season. The strong message being that revenge is a terrible thing, and was incredibly potent in this episode, I would have expected something like this coming in.

What we saw from the beginning is that Alka is spoiler[terrified, and it is not for her own safety it is that she is afraid of killing or hurting someone]. The fight with those guys was something she probably could have spoiler[won in her usual mindset, but we could see how afraid she was when she saw the guy withering in pain]. When she was going spoiler[stealth it was not that she was Solid Snaking it as a badass assassin], it was that she wasspoiler[ terrified with conflict]. And when she fought the bloodthirstyspoiler[ wolves we could see it pained her as she struck them, and her doubts were clouding her movements].

From experience spoiler[we should know not to get attached to anyone in this series as they will probably die, but come on the husband and wife] story was really emotional. A great deal of the plot and talk of revenge and such actually had my eyes watering, I think because this idea of revenge has really been conveyed well. We could see and have an understanding for the pain and feelings , and yet hope for redemption. I don't care how artificial you think it was Leatherhead, I found myself fully pulled by the emotional puppeteering. spoiler[The scene at the end where revenge robbed him of everything felt potent], and I did not find it too artificial at all. You need to expect a certain amount of convenience for stories.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:14 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
This was a phenomenal episode, I enjoyed this so much and consider it the best one of the entire season.

Best of this anime, definitely yes. Best of season? Not so sure.

Alka's master pretty much left her totally unprepared for anything but being an assassin. On top of that all she has to do is walk in from stage left and people start dying even if she doesn't mean for them to. The whole story has been like that. It seems to me that she is taking on remorse for people she didn't kill but died anyway in addition to those she offed herself.

Although this is nothing new for this anime it still sucks about spoiler[Hana and her husband.]
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:36 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I don't care how artificial you think it was Leatherhead, I found myself fully pulled by the emotional puppeteering. spoiler[The scene at the end where revenge robbed him of everything felt potent], and I did not find it too artificial at all. You need to expect a certain amount of convenience for stories.

What the.......dude you could at least let me copy my post here before ripping into me! Crying or Very sad

Yeah I have a wall of complaints about how completely artificial this whole scenario was but I won't bother posting it here. It was a good episode but could have been much better if it was split into two episodes and wasn't absurdly convenient for AIka's development at the time.

I just hope AIka actually gets some better lines besides (huff.....huff.....huff).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:47 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:

What the.......dude you could at least let me copy my post here before ripping into me! Crying or Very sad

I just thought I would say it while the episode was fresh in my mind, and that I am supposed to be focussing at the moment on my exams, which I have barely studied for.

I supposed that if I want to respond to something you said on another site, I should probably use that site and wait for you to actually make the point here. There I signed up and even decided to follow you. Don't cry smiling face me now.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:57 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator,

Yeah, it's not cool to respond on one site what someone said on a board at a different site. I thought you were responding to what leatherhead333 wrote for Ep 9, and I was like "Dude, that's not even about this episode." Now I feel like I'm listening to someone talk on the phone where you hear only one side of the conversation.

As far as the episode itself goes, I felt it was powerful, but also odd. Why would Alka have killed their daughter? As an assassin, she simply follows orders, she doesn't kill people because she feels like it: she's a tool for other people's desires (or was, anyway).

The wife in this episode said some pretty wise things, and the husband even got in a good comment (you can't fix what's dead). I *thought* that the husband was going to put a leash on his feeling, if only for his wife's sake. spoiler[But no, he tells Alka that atonement means giving up her only means of defending herself *and then* decides to shoot her while she's in the process of showing her sincerity by doing that. I'm sorry, but I don't feel any pity for that man. He disregarded everything his wife had said and done. And then couldn't live with himself after doing that directly led to her death. It was *his* decision that caused that, not the death of his daughter.]

Poor Alka. I'm starting to think that the writers are taking a cruel, sadistic sort of satisfaction in tormenting her. It's starting to get unnatural the way *every* situation that involves her ends up with the worse possible outcome -- and often one that's extremely emotionally painful to Alka. If this is supposed to be karma, I'll just say it seems like a very heavy-handed version of it.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Starting?
Tsubasasan11

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Watched the first 8 episodes of it...

Can't really say much about it. It's good, but that's all it is. It's not great or anything. However, the last few episodes that I've seen of it really picked up the pace. The fight against that woman in black that has power over lightning. (It's been a couple of weeks since I last watched it and I've been watching other animes so I'm a little lost at what names they are referred to as.)

If it continues to get good from episode 9-13 then it will definitely change my overall opinion on the series for the better.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Starting?

Well, let's just say the sensation has been steadily growing. I tend not to like shows where I think the author is taking sadistic glee in making a character's life miserable (unless they deserve it). It's one of the reasons why I came to *hate* Kurokami, and why I dropped Freezing almost immediately. For some reason, it seems like this is more prevalent Korean-based stories, but that may just be my imagination.

Anyway, I'm most of the way through this now, and I do want to know how it ends for Alka, so I doubt I'll be dropping it at this point.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I can understand how someone could find the episode contrived, however, even that was sort of covered off by The Master's speech where he says that nothing happens by chance. You get the sense that Alka's journey of redemption is being driven by destiny.

Although, I am starting to wonder ... did Alka actually commit all these particular killings? There is still some confusion - in my mind, at least - about the exact nature of the relationship between Jin and Alka. I wonder if Jin is responsible for some of these deaths and not Alka.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:42 am Reply with quote
Blood-,

I thought the same thing. Though I expect she's responsible for the Proprietress's lover, I was much less sure about the couple's daughter. The fact that there was no related flashback associated with it made me suspicious, and I got the impression that the couple didn't actually see their daughter's killer.

Based on what's going on with Jin right now, I can't help but think that there's something going on behind the scenes that they haven't given us any real information about yet. I suspect we'll get some of that info in the next episode.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:54 am Reply with quote
But we did see Alka have a flashback to it when she learned the truth, there were a whole lot of things flashing and it was one of them.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:31 pm Reply with quote
ep.11

spoiler[arka now being lost give flashback was show killer side but present time a total mess yet varrel is alive again give more different than before due want get the red butterfly & being experiment by ran for "something" yet big guy got concern.

then arka seeing flowers give old lady give her flowers yet arka sold her blades then later old lady appear yet don't want blades yet arka keep wander & seeing flowers then same time karen, hazuki, & roana trying find arka.

varrel going so many experiment go flashing black mist horse run to find red butterfly yet ran focus on experiment on varrel yet big guy concern more.

then karen, hazuki, & roana go place in clouds they found arka give seeing her total mess & asked to finish me then when hazuki go for shot yet karen going protect arka yet shot in the air cause hazuki find it no point to shoot arka.

so like all back to normal give karen said her revenge feel empty yet ask arka what her blades are to her so cue wake-up call fight to see yet it all good.

but there some bad news for them cause now varrel has arrive yea she want red butterfly. ]
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:38 pm Reply with quote
"Listen, the HR department brought an issue to my attention. That base you folks use? There are no records of any attacks, but the entire garrison has been brutally murdered three times in the past month, and it's getting harder to meet your staffing needs. Could you please brush up on the Safe Workplaces and You manual we distributed at the beginning of your assignment?"
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I guess this is what you get in a harem anime without a harem lead. Those four would be quite a handful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9