• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madoka Magica: Rebellion Topped Japanese Blu-rays in Half-Year Sales

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:57 am Reply with quote
@Ranho:

I get that you hate it, but I'm going to have to call bullshit on almost all of your post. That taking out the core concept of the show leaves a hollow shell isn't even an argument - that's kind of why it's called a core concept. If the show can jettison it with ease, it's less a concept and more a setting. Whether melodrama works is entirely subjective, as is how something comes off as; even the quality of execution isn't objective(so please don't state your opinion as fact, especially when you're in a tiny minority). As for the characters being little more than archetypes, that's both subjective(again!) and a valid story-telling choice when you're talking about a show almost entirely devoted to its narrative. It won a sense of gender award, so somebody disagrees with you.

Also, Kill la Kill has nothing to do with female empowerment at all - it's entirely about being over-the-top and adrenaline(And there's nothing wrong with that). As well, I'm pretty sure last year's other big hits were *mongatari and Attack on Titan(if you're calling giants eating people "cannibalism", you're a goddamn moron).
Blazingluke wrote:
I wonder if that number includes the Aniplex of America import sales.
Nope. It doesn't even included imported copies bought directly from Japanese stores. Oricon only reports domestic sales.

EDIT: Linky.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:42 am Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
Ranho wrote:

But to use the term "adult" to describe this show? I don't know about thaaaat...

Its aimed at adults, does it need another reason to describe the show as such?

It is a matter of semantics. The use of the term 'adult' usually has a different more popular meaning.
Ranho

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
@Ranho:

I get that you hate it, but I'm going to have to call bullshit on almost all of your post. That taking out the core concept of the show leaves a hollow shell isn't even an argument - that's kind of why it's called a core concept. If the show can jettison it with ease, it's less a concept and more a setting. Whether melodrama works is entirely subjective, as is how something comes off as; even the quality of execution isn't objective(so please don't state your opinion as fact, especially when you're in a tiny minority). As for the characters being little more than archetypes, that's both subjective(again!) and a valid story-telling choice when you're talking about a show almost entirely devoted to its narrative. It won a sense of gender award, so somebody disagrees with you.

Also, Kill la Kill has nothing to do with female empowerment at all - it's entirely about being over-the-top and adrenaline(And there's nothing wrong with that). As well, I'm pretty sure last year's other big hits were *mongatari and Attack on Titan(if you're calling giants eating people "cannibalism", you're a goddamn moron).
Blazingluke wrote:
I wonder if that number includes the Aniplex of America import sales.
Nope. It doesn't even included imported copies bought directly from Japanese stores. Oricon only reports domestic sales.

EDIT: Linky.

Sssh! Don't say their names out loud!

(Also I was being sarcastic hence the "O RLY?" I don't know how you would miss that, you must not be a meme person...Ditto on the cannibalism bit too...also Kill la Kill debuted last year and Monogatari has been around for a while...unless you're talking BD sales, in which case I meant hit amongst the internet fan-base).

Also "hate" isn't the right word for how I feel about this series (that would go to Mr Urobuchi's other famous work Fate Zero).

"Meh". That sums up how I feel about Madoka, yeah: An average show that's only special (if you take its premise away) because everything else around it pales in comparison, I thought I said that already? Also, of course it's going to win awards, it was in a class of its--I've said this already dammit!

Finally, thanks for your comment. I hope it, like my own, helps the guy who was asking about this show to make a decision about whether to dive in or not.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Ranho wrote:
Let me answer your question.

Its premise: Magical Girls With a Sci-fi Twist.

People are hot for this anime because of two things: its idea and the fact that there was nothing else like it at the time of its airing. You'll read things like how it took a "mature approach to story-telling" or something to that effect but really all that really means is that it didn't have heavy fan-service like most shounen/harem/ecchi/all of the above type anime and that it plays with ideas that will make you think.

About point number 1, its idea, admittedly, is a good one. Shame that the guy who writes it is a pretty shallow writer so the idea isn't really explored all that well, or rather in a way where you actually care about what's going on. Just like the other shows he's scripted, really (Fate Zero, Psycho Pass, Gargantua etc).

As for point number two, again the show is special because of the idea behind it, which set it apart from the droves of harem, ecchi, slice of life shows.

Take the first thing away from it and you've got an anime that's nothing more than an average story that is overhyped because everything else beside it is something you've already seen a million times over and are tired of.

Kinda like, oh, I don't know, two of last year's monster hits. You KNOW which ones I'm talking about, come ooooon: The one involving cannibalism and the other involving female empowerment through nudity (O RLY?)?

My turn! Let me ask YOU a question:

Do you like -

1 dimensional characters that fit certain archetypes?
    Highly interesting ideas that are executed clumsily and consequently come off as pretentious?
    Melodramatic scenes involving characters you feel nothing for?

Then this is the anime for you!

I don't think that I am because I am more of the fan that enjoys seeing shounen action and harem/fan service shows.

Also, since I usu. watch 2 episode halves simultaneously to go through the episodes quicker, I don't pay as much attention to the storyline as much I should unless I'm on a wiki site.

My thanks to those that offered their input.

That 50 billion yen is about $489, 512, 500. For a show that isn't the 100+ episode franchise (especially if its the shounen action type), this makes it a really profitable franchise for the rights holders. It's also great for a film at the foreign or domestic box office.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Various posts deleted for over-quoting.

Don't want your posts deleted?

Then don't over-quote.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2