• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Terra Forms

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:23 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Earth bound for cart only goes for 150 plus, with a complete copies topping 300-400 hundred.

Suikoden II might take a small hit, but it probably won't last long if at all.

Weren't they more than that before? Logically, people who want to play something like Earthbound, at least in North America, can now purchase it off the Virtual Console and not have to find one of those rare, super-expensive SNES cartridges.

Admittedly, it is not an example I know quite as well as the other one, Medieval Madness. It was a pinball machine released during the waning years of the business (at that time), so only a few of them were made, but they were well-liked by those still into pinball then. They were sold new for about $2,000 but would fetch an average of $12,000 per machine--until a faithful remake came out that cost $8,000. All of a sudden, excellent-condition classic Medieval Madness machines would not sell for more than $9,000.

But I guess we're talking about prices on the scale of thousands of dollars here, not hundreds.

Fedora-san wrote:
The more mainstream a show or game, the simplier it has to be to be consumed by the large target general audience. So video games which try to tackle those kinds of issues have to pretty much use a loud speaker to get their point across. Even South Park does it when they wheel out Stan and Kyle at the end of the episode recapping "Y'know, today I learned something...". I guess they think if they don't do that it'll be lost on the average viewer who can't pick up on what they're doing. I suppose they're correct in that regard though.

What you mention reminds me of those "very special episodes" where the show, normally a comedy, stops being comedic and is now a very serious and direct talk about a social issue. Those are done to avoid the show getting criticism about not being progressive enough.

I must wonder if sometimes, games have to be front and center about these social issues to try to deflect some of that stigma, even more so now with people who care about social justice running around.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3