• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Show By Rock!! (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Show By Rock!! Stars!! (season 4), Episode 1

It officially makes this a fourth season since this one seems to be merging both the original group (Plasmagica) and the spinoff (Mashumairesh!!) into one series, which already makes me a little happier to have Cyan, Retoree, Mao and Chuchu back.

The episode ended with Mashumairesh in jail, which is silly fun.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:40 am Reply with quote
Season 4, Episode 12 (finale)

I really wanted to like this season, but it really did not deliver, not even with the girls of Plasmagica making appearances occasionally. For one, the story did feel kind of bare this season, granted the prison thing it started off with was a bit funny, but the monster enemy kind of disappeared right after that before just appearing at the end. It probably had one standout episode, which was going to Delmin's home island, where everyone is super strong and stuff, it just felt like the sort of fun that was interesting. They hit close at one point with being around the band with the Daruma, but in the end that kind of felt like wasted potential, since they did not really do all too much.

I have to again repeat that the lack of the CGI that defined the first two seasons really hurts it in feeling authentic. It was originally so clean and pretty to look at, so the sort of models that they occasionally pulled in this season with their lack of lines on the models that made it feel like it blended together, just felt like a poor imitation to what they did then. And of note I think there was a couple of weird moments that made it extra glaring when they showed the type of animation they used in those first two seasons, which made it all the more glaring. I imagine that CGI must have been expensive, that they can't just put it into these two sequels.

And I still think that Howan pails in comparison to Cyan. And comparing the two I think problems alone are in designs, Howan's white hair and light skin are way too similar tones that it just makes her face feel washed out, this compared who is generally made up of contrasting blacks and whites. She is also in a personality sense not much more than a genki girl. Ruhuyu and Delmin are probably the most interesting characters, especially in how they contrast as a girl trying to be as normal as possible despite abnormal powers and one who is far too ordinary than she would wish and feeds into chuuni ideas of a werewolf or something. The show was generally better when these two were the principle characters.

Anyway, my rating will be So-so (5/10), it did have parts I liked, but as a general watch these were pretty much traded for things like the mining episode with the boys that were the opposite of being interested to watch, and I don't know if there was much of a point in the end. And lacked some of the big design elements of early in the franchise that made me love it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4