• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Snow White with the Red Hair (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Kihal and Obi seem destined for each other. She can help Obi get over his crush on Shirayuki which clearly is going nowhere.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:45 am Reply with quote
Interesting, Kihal seems to share kind of a resemblance to the Gusto Yu-Gi-Oh cards archtype, especially Winda. Maybe it is just my specific attachment to bird training specific cards that drew my connection to it.

And who expected that end to actually happened not even half way through the series.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:47 am Reply with quote
Episode 11:

Ah they admit it now.

I mean, the latest episode felt slow but it was important to establish that connection between Zen and Shirayuki. I think it was obvious that they had chemistry already from the very beginning so both of them admitting that they were in love with each other wasn't much of a surprise. And they kiss again! One more episode left for the first cour D:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
A Mystery

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11~~

WARNING: text below will only sound like a scream from a crazy fangirl.

Okay okay, I'll try to hold back.

That was - to me - the best spoiler[love confession from an] anime ever, hands down. Zen was almost a total spoiler[gentleman. He kissed her,] but immediately responded in a good manner, which was even more necessary for him to do because of his social status and the way Raj earlier tried to force her to be his concubine. She needed to spoiler[choose out of her own free will, but did get that little extra push now to a. realize the full extent of her feelings and b. not feel like a big burden to Zen if he possibly didn't feel the same way (though we all knew he did, she did not).]

Why am I even using spoilers... oh well now that I've started I'll just spoiler everything Twisted Evil

Putting that thought aside, it's really cool for an anime spoiler[couple to see and say to each other that they respect each other, feel more strength just because of the other's presence, that they are caring for each other and thinking of the other one's feelings without becoming a doormat themselves. I mean, for a relationship with such a big difference in official social status, you can't become more equals to each other] than that.

That little flashback was also quite cool, really loved that.

I wonder what Obi was thinking or trying to accomplish by spoiler[almost taking her hand, but I'm sure he knows his place and wouldn't want to make Shirayuki feel awkward/bad around him] in any way. Maybe it was just a gesture of support, though a bit careless, that's for sure.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

Can we all agree it was well done. That we have such a balanced relationship despite the social standing, it is just good.

Although the episode also gave hints that Obi may have some feelings for Shirayuki, and Kihal may have grown a little something for Zen. But I highly doubt we would get the love drama we would see in other series

Well it seems to be the part of season for love confessions, I can name a couple other series that had characters confess recently.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:54 am Reply with quote
Saori Hayami once again knocks it out of the park.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Between the light coming out from behind the clouds, the doves and the narration it was all just a bit too much at the end of episode 11, I think. It's a shame because the dialogue and character animation were both fantastic, and didn't need these distracting crutches.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12: (Season 1 finale)

Wonderful episode and nice way to conclude the first season. It was fun with the play although that trope leader was a greedy bastard trying to get take advantage of Shirayuki. Still, I loved how Zen intervened in his own way.

Good way to conclude the season with that last scene.
Shirayuki also looked cute in her dress too. Should be nice. I definitely enjoyed this season. Nice to see a little montage of the season a the end too!

Now I can't wait for the second cour Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
A Mystery

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Me neither!

I liked how they showed Izana's reservations about the whole situation, the episode wasn't all rainbows and butterflies this way. Not that without it, there wouldn't be any ambiguity - it's clearly shown that there will be difficulties and hardships because of the difference in status, Shirayuki's haircolor and the way both main characters went on stage was just one example of the couple taking risks. It's a good thing Zen has guards that remind him of how much risk he takes on meeting her on such a crowded day - which only shows how this will go in the near future.

Another big plus was that Shirayuki got a bit more background story. Even though we as the audience could easily fill in the blanks, it's nice to see that her current train of thought was because of her upbringing. It's also good that she too notices she has been kind of 'the stoic one' of the two, with Zen always clearly showing his emotions and thoughts. Her voicing her thoughts to us and Zen was a very good thing. More plus points - it wasn't just about the place that she chose for herself *cough*. I hope her character gets more exposition next season, where we get to know her through her relations not only to new people and Zen, but also through older relations and things she experienced in the past. I don't doubt this will come sooner or later - why on earth would they specifically tell us that her grandparents raised her? Her parents will surely come into the story at some point - whether they're alive or dead. 10 cents on the last option. Probably somewhere around the point when Zen's parents will show up.

Of course, the evil actor was a cliche no matter how you look at it, but I don't believe we can give every character depth and also; his way of thinking was shown. He probably didn't see many problems in showing off her hair and if such an easy trick could get him more fame, why not? Most people have trouble figuring out that there might be reasons for the other party's actions that they cannot comprehend at that time. He probably thought it would only be slightly inconvenient for her. I thought the worst thing about it was his overdone evil laughter. It was just not anywhere near 'Light quality' of laughter. That kind is far too much fun.

------------------------------------------

At the end of the day, I believe this show has done a great job so far in combining both a lovely, wish fulfillment ('Disney') romance with more "down to earth" elements, like good characterization (especially Obi and Zen) and the problems that arise from this particular relationship or a person being special in some way - like high status or different physical features.

I first thought the show lacked a bit of real conflict instead of just 'problem of the day helping main couple forward', but in the end the characters and their situations themselves provide plenty of story and most introduced characters aren't forgotten completely - if we set that ponytail dude (Mihaya?) aside.

Given the distinct feelgood 'wish fulfillment' nature of this show, I couldn't handle myself in replaying some fragments and rewatching most episodes. Even though this show isn't perfect (see aforementioned points), the entertainment value for me is enough to give this a Masterpiece rating for now. I'd certainly understand other people rating it a lot lower, but this is just... like eating chocolate.

I'm a sucker for good romance, sorry Embarassed
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:17 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Last episode of the season. Well in general it had nice elements, I will point to how part of the play part was handled, specifically for me I liked Shirayuki's response to the actress. The actress talks of her ambition of things like using pretty clothes to forward her career and such, which really kind of contrasts with Shirayuki who started the series picking dirty herbs instead of flowers. We were shown that Shirayuki is really someone who prefers practicality over acting out of beauty. But in that scene we are shown a part of Shirayuki that respects the actress for what she does, that for her line of work such things is being cool, like Shirayuki using her time to look after plants.

I am probably the only one that really focused on that aspect, but to me they are big establishing parts of characters that I care about this series so much. Not just Shirayuki, but Zen too, him dressing up as a guard is a really cool thing to do, maybe I am thinking too far into it but I do think it says something about Zen's respect for the people underneath him, the guards. Throwing in a mask made it really fun. I have to say it is so rare for me to like a heroine and hero, the main couple, of a shoujo series so much. I think Zen and Shirayuki are awesome characters. Zen is not arrogant in the least, and Shirayuki is really independent and does not just get pushed around. There is a respect for roles, and bettering oneself, and really what a person does that defines them.

Kind of a struggle to rate as I like a whole lot of what this series has, although it feels like the correct rating for the series is Very good. Nothing really blow me away technical wise, even if the story a number of characters was so good. Can we continue to get great heroines like Shirayuki, Yona, and Nike? Or really heroines in general.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:43 pm Reply with quote
It was really cute. Liked all the characters and the kissing. I'm reading the manga now. :3
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:38 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 1:

That was refreshing. Personally, I like the first season's OP song better but this one will do. The ED song imo is better than the previous season though.

The episode felt more like a buildup with a guy named Kazuki (almost thought it was a girl at first). After Zen's request, I think this will settle with this season's adventure. I'm curious to know more about that Kazuki guy though. Also, artwork is still pretty solid this season thanks to Bones' production quality.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Does Kazuki remind anyone of Edward Elric? Anime hyper

(really thought that was Paku Romi at first but I didn't see her name in the credits)

Zen is so entertaining when he's mad. More mad Zen, please.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:15 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 1

A little clarification, was Ryu lying in saying that the flowers were Shirayuki's because he was worried what Obi would think of him, but told the truth after praising them? The dialogue was a little hard for me to really understand. I kind of liked this Ryu parts, we know what he is like and it is sweet for Obi to give him a hand in opening up.

Zen is assigning Mitsuhide to Shirayuki, Mitsuhide is always at his side and he trusts him more than anyone else, so he is serious. Obi seems a little bit upset over it because he knows that Zen knows that he has no tasks, so he should be the one to protect her.

Again, liked the "just another day in the castle" vibe.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:56 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
A little clarification, was Ryu lying in saying that the flowers were Shirayuki's because he was worried what Obi would think of him, but told the truth after praising them? The dialogue was a little hard for me to really understand.

It was a little unclear, but I don't think he was lying. The flowers were Shirayuki's, but Ryu happened to also have seeds of that type that he had obtained on his own. It wouldn't be weird to think that he had cultivated some of the same flower to harvest seeds in the past just like Shirayuki is doing now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10