• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese Women Rank Their Favorite Romantic Gestures

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:02 pm Reply with quote
ANN wrote:
Other results include the kabe-don—a romantic gesture and common shojo manga trope in which a man pins a girl against a wall in a dramatic fashion;

Some romantic variations Cool
sonnets

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:34 pm Reply with quote
None of these sound appealing except for the surprise backhug. That one's sweet.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:14 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
If anything, I'm kind of glad the "sleeve rolling" thing didn't really catch on and has become unpopular now, I found it kind of creepy

Haha, yeah. Putting your boy/girlfriend's hand in your pocket can be equally creepy (just an inch and some cloth away from 3rd base).

Cute? I like cute. What I find cute may be different than what others find cute, but I'd take cute over creepy affections any day.

Anyways, I think I just found the cutest Kabe-don ever. I love Boz's fanart in the first place because I'm a Gajevy (Fairy Tail) fan, and then she had to draw this cute fanart of the couple.

Best Kabe-don ever.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:45 am Reply with quote
Laughing Thanks for sharing that. I'm also a big GajeelxLevy fan. That was cute.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:21 am Reply with quote
So I can get a girl to like me if I pat her head like a dog, put her in a surprise full nelson & then grab & drag her like a frustrated parent would a troublesome child? Get me a one way ticket to Japan, please.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:05 am Reply with quote
willag wrote:
CrowLia wrote:

If anything, I'm kind of glad the "sleeve rolling" thing didn't really catch on and has become unpopular now, I found it kind of creepy

Haha, yeah. Putting your boy/girlfriend's hand in your pocket can be equally creepy (just an inch and some cloth away from 3rd base).

You're already a couple by that point; what's the put out
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Her-indoor's absolutly loves to get me to massage her scalp and look for dandruff flakes or nits. She works with young 4 - 7 year-olds at our local infant school and that age group is notorious for head lice. She demands my attention at least once a week and usually goes vitually catatonic during the treatment though I have never found anything to date. That and having her back scratched by my fingernails. She had Shingles years ago and the nerves in her back have never quite got over it. Finally it is always either me, or me son what have to get rid of any bugs what manage to sneak into the house. Her-indoor's and me daughter won't go near them. Her-indoors has always got her hand in my pocket, especially the one with me wallet in it. Laughing

No mozzys, no malaria. Simples. Wink
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:22 pm Reply with quote
@Ali07 - You're welcome. I just saw that picture and immediately had to share it.

@enurtsol - I guess it isn't fair of me to speak of this from the point of view of someone who isn't in a relationship, has never been in a relationship out of choice, and is only starting to maybe want to be in a relationship. Because, yeah, there's nothing wrong with any sexual acts if you're in a relationship with someone. I guess I too often look at things from an "unwanted advances" perspective than an actual couple. The act of putting someone's hand in your pocket seems obsessively creepy, but the context changes if the people are in a healthy relationship that knows each other's boundaries. And considering that I put "head in the lap" as one show of affection that I consider romantic seems contradictory. Anime smile + sweatdrop

The truth is that any sort of these actions can have negative implications if people are looking for them. But they can all also be cute or romantic shows of affection. And it's possible I'd be perfectly fine with any if I was actually in a relationship.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:42 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:

@enurtsol - I guess it isn't fair of me to speak of this from the point of view of someone who isn't in a relationship, has never been in a relationship out of choice, and is only starting to maybe want to be in a relationship. Because, yeah, there's nothing wrong with any sexual acts if you're in a relationship with someone. I guess I too often look at things from an "unwanted advances" perspective than an actual couple. The act of putting someone's hand in your pocket seems obsessively creepy, but the context changes if the people are in a healthy relationship that knows each other's boundaries. And considering that I put "head in the lap" as one show of affection that I consider romantic seems contradictory. Anime smile + sweatdrop

No prob; it's understandable.
Though the way ya had to phrase this:
Quote:
has never been in a relationship out of choice

....... is kinda off-putting

Also, I don't believe you're being romantic contradictory since "head in the lap" isn't really considered even near what people may consider "unwanted advances" or creepy.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:19 pm Reply with quote
How is it off-putting? (Oh wait, maybe I can see where you're coming from... it sounds like I may I have been in a relationship, but it wasn't with my consent or because I wanted it... I could have worded that better). For the longest time, I've been genuinely uncomfortable with being in a relationship. There have been 5 guy friends who have had an interest in having a relationship with me at different points in my life, but the thought made me uncomfortable and I turned them all down. I wasn't trying to be cruel (well, okay, I was cruel to one guy because I was really thrown off and over-reacted and have since regretted my actions), but I really didn't want that attention. After some research and introspection, I figured I was asexual and have remained single.

... Though, of course, it's never that simple. I've accepted for a while that I would only ever feel comfortable in that sort of relationship with a close female friend. I've always been more comfortable around women than men. And there's one friend I have right now who I would be open to perhaps trying that sort of relationship. But at the same time, I still don't strongly desire it to the point of leaving my single lifestyle, and I'm not going to risk a friendship out of curiosity unless it's mutual. I would be completely fine just staying friends with her; therefore, why venture outside of the realm of comfort? If it was something I strongly desired, the situation would be different, but it's not. That doesn't mean something won't eventually change, but it's been a very slow, gradual change to get to this point (I'm 29 now), and it might be even longer to get to a point where I am comfortable and do want it.

So, for now, I'm still single.

And as for the "head in the lap," I was thinking of it more in regards to location and the statement I made about only being "an inch and some cloth away from third base" (sorry to anyone who may be offended by my crude statements). Someone as crass as I could have just responded back, "and yet you're fine with having someone's head in your lap."

Don't mind me. I can be quite perverted.

[/TMI post]

Last edited by Crisha on Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:35 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
CrowLia wrote:

Depends on what pocket. I'd find it cute if it was the jacket pocket, especially if it's cold outside. Jeans pocket... yeah, how about no.

That Gajevy art is the cutest thing ever. I love that pairing too.
Souther

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I don't get kabe-don at all. I figure it'd have the opposite effect and scare your romantic interest into calling the police or something.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:33 pm Reply with quote
^I imagine it's that way for some people. For others, having a partner show aggressiveness or possessiveness may be a turn-on. If you have a healthy relationship where you can communicate with your partner about your likes and dislikes and you can respect each other and reach a mutual agreement, then it's perfectly okay. The issue comes in when one side holds all the power without the other side's consent and constantly puts them into situations where they are uncomfortable.

A lot of fiction enters into this dubious consent area, which many fans consider a turn-on (the smitten lover so overwhelmingly desires the object of their affections that they just can't restrain themselves). There's nothing wrong with being turned on by such a fantasy and that doesn't mean that they actually want that to happen to them in real life. The concern is that having these sort of relationships show up often in popular media might make those who are more impressionable assume that doing things without consent is okay/normal... which is a different debate.

@Crowlia - Hah, I wasn't even thinking about the jacket pocket. I immediately thought of the jeans pocket. Anime hyper And, yes, Gajevy is adorable.
Souther

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, for some reason I was thinking about outside of that where one person's trying to get the attention of the other with a gesture and make their feelings known, but it seems they were talking about inside a relationship.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Souther wrote:

Yeah, for some reason I was thinking about outside of that where one person's trying to get the attention of the other with a gesture and make their feelings known, but it seems they were talking about inside a relationship.

Well, in Japan, it's even often outside/before a relationship. Y'see, Japan is a traditional society - even spouses don't show affection to each other outside the house, no holding hands, no I love yous, etc.

How important to a healthy relationship are overt displays of affection such as hugging, kissing and holding hands?

How come Japanese couples don't say "I love you" to each other as often as their Western counterparts?

Why do Japanese people seldom hug friends or family in public?

In your experience, how do your Japanese friends of the opposite sex react when you try to give them a friendly hug or kiss on the cheek when you are greeting them or saying goodbye?

How do you feel when someone you are greeting wants to hug you or kiss you on the cheek? When is it appropriate and do you think the custom can be misinterpreted in some cultures, such as Japan, for example?

Japanese women discuss pros and cons of being a guy’s first girlfriend ever

So to many Japanese --and especially girls-- they'd rather die of embarrassment than to make a move. Thus, to J-gals, a kabe-don is typically welcome, since at least somebody is breaking the formidable ice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4