• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yuri / Shoujo Ai Recommendation Thread.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen Yuuki Yuuna, but I agree I hate that stuff. I'm just giving yuri fan the benefit of the doubt. Also it's listed as shoujo ai in the encyclopedia so why not. I hear you though, I've wasted my time on so much slice of life queer baiting shows it's not funny.

I suppose on From the New World, I read Saki's body language as being a bit uncomfortable with Maria. Also as you pointed out, I fully believe Maria really loved Saki just as Satoru really loved Shun; I just have a hard time believing their feelings were really reciprocated. Maria's decision to go with Mamoru and lease Saki behind seemed a bit out of character too. I guess for me their culture and society was so different from our own I find it hard to relate to homosexual romances of today. As you said, it seemed like who they ended up with just came out of circumstance; which is kind of a depressing message to me. It's realistic and true a lot of times but... again I'm a hopeless romantic so it gets me down to think about that.
Set1229

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:46 am Reply with quote
I am new to the genre, aside from Haruka & Michiru in Sailor Moon and Anthy & Utena in Revolutionary Girl Utena. As such, I am looking for suggestions. Please keep in mind that I get anxiety attacks when it comes to smutty sexual imagery and sounds, but if it's done romantically, that's fine. I am a total sucker for the sweet and tender romances.
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:13 am Reply with quote
@Set1229,

In general you should look at the shoujo ai shows and stay away from yuri. The difference between the two is the sexuality.

My strongest recommendation right now is Maria Watches Over Us.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ladyaceina

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:13 am Reply with quote
what yuri and shoujo ai anime can i find on hulu or netflix

and i prefer dubbed if possible
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:43 am Reply with quote
Your options are pretty slim I suspect. From the New World streams at Hulu, but it's sub only. Funimation streams Rin Daughters of Mnemosyne on its own site, funimation.com. That has a dub.

Many of the shows discussed here are older and not likely to appear at Hulu or Netflix. Some of them, like the dubbed version of Steel Angel Kurumi 2, stream at YouTube.

Netflix has a couple of shows like Puella Magi Madoka Magica which some people see as having a shoujo-ai subtext. Similar arguments have been made for Kill la Kill, though in both cases I think those claims are a bit of a stretch. Madoka has a dub. Kill la Kill also has a dub, but Aniplex apparently won't release it to any streaming site to protect its Blu-ray sales.

Crunchyroll has some of the more fanservice-y shows like Yuru Yuri. All subbed, of course.

You can watch shows at CR and Funi for free, but with advertising.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
Nothing to see here

What happened?

I just visited this thread for the first time in about six weeks because I was looking for some inspiration about what to watch, and I found this message in the opening post instead of the lists of shows.

The thread is still useful, but not quite as useful as it was with the lists of titles and the links.
Why did you remove them?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:48 pm Reply with quote
@ Touma,

Yeah, it's disappointing.

If you, or someone else, wants to recompile the list from the subsequent posts, I'll add it to the first post.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:32 pm Reply with quote
^
I think that I could probably make an index for this thread. There are not too many shows in it.

I will work on it over the weekend.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:19 pm Reply with quote
This is an alphabetical list of the shows that have been mentioned in this thread.

Each title is linked to its encyclopedia page.
The numbers after the titles are links to the posts in this thread that recommend the titles.

The index:
Blue Drop 1
From the New World 1 2
Kasimasi - Girl Meets Girl 1
Maria Watches over Us 1
My-HiME 1
My-Otome 1
Revolutionary Girl Utena
RIN:Daughters of Mnemsoyne 1
Sabagebu! ;Survival Game Club! 1
Sakura Trick 1
Sasameki Koto 1 2
Simoun 1
Steel Angel Kurumi 2 1
Strawberry Panic
Sweet Blue Flowers
Venus Versus Virus 1
Yamibo - Darkness, the Hat, and the Travelers of the Books
Yuki Yuna is a Hero 1 2

Last edited by Touma on Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:15 pm; edited 4 times in total
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Touma. I've updated the front page. Nice timing given that Lynzee has a favourite yuri poll running.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I have done some editing of my index post from March 5.
I added some things that I had missed earlier and added links to the recommendation posts.

If errinundra, or another helpful moderator, could replace the opening post of this thread with the new edit then we would be up to date, for now.

I also noticed that there are a few titles that I put on the list because they were mentioned but they do not have any actual recommendation posts.
Perhaps somebody could do something about that.
The only one that I have seen is Strawberry Panic and I do not remember it well enough to give it a recommendation until I watch it again.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Done and done, Touma. Thanks.
Heishi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
This is an alphabetical list of the shows that have been mentioned in this thread.

Each title is linked to its encyclopedia page.
The numbers after the titles are links to the posts in this thread that recommend the titles.

The index:
Blue Drop 1
From the New World 1 2
Kasimasi - Girl Meets Girl 1
Maria Watches over Us 1
My-HiME 1
My-Otome 1
Revolutionary Girl Utena
RIN:Daughters of Mnemsoyne 1
Sabagebu! ;Survival Game Club! 1
Sakura Trick 1
Sasameki Koto 1 2
Simoun 1
Steel Angel Kurumi 2 1
Strawberry Panic
Sweet Blue Flowers
Venus Versus Virus 1
Yamibo - Darkness, the Hat, and the Travelers of the Books
Yuki Yuna is a Hero 1 2

Um, where is Kannazuki no Miko?
Perhaps its in the same state as Yuri Kuma, Riddle Story of Devil, and Yuru Yuri?
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:47 pm Reply with quote
^
Post a.short recommendation here and I'll update the list with a link to your post. Wink
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
Um, where is Kannazuki no Miko?
Perhaps its in the same state as Yuri Kuma, Riddle Story of Devil, and Yuru Yuri?

I do not see any posts recommending those.
Are you recommending them?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6